1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Flying Carp

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by SMOKEIT, Apr 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Flying Carp in Indiana..........SMOKIT

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

what river?

3. SMOKEIT

Carp are in the Wabash river..........SMOKIT

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Not a bad way to go fishing!!! Just drive around at a slow speed and fill the boat up with your limit. LMAO. No fishing poles needed. I've had only 3 days of fishing on my boat where I could jokingly say they were biting so good that they seemed to be jumping in the boat. But never a day where they really did. Breake-m all. Jeff

5. jaeger18

jaeger18 Member

Wish they would let you shoot them with a shotgun.

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

How are they for table fare??? Break-em all. Jeff

7. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

Yup, had that happen to me many, many times on the Kaskaskia River by Baldwin, Illinois. For you folks that go to the Grand try to find someone with an aluminum fishing boat on the river & take a ride. They are really funny until you get hit by one. The largest I got hit by weighed in at 18 lbs.
    Damn things are ruining the boating & fishings in the river. How would you like to be on water skiis behind a boat when those babies are jumping?
    It is an experience though. Colonel

8. Hardage

Hardage TS Member

Was watching a show called something like "Inner City Fishing" or "City Limits Fishing" with Mike Iaconelli and he was invited to fish with this guy who ran him by some of those things. I think they are Japanese carp and they are slimy, poor eating, and invasive. They jump due to sensing the vibrations put out by the boat motor which excites them. The guy could not say enough bad things about them.

9. SMOKEIT

I don't know about Japanese carp but regular old fashioned domestic carp are not too bad eating. The meat is sweet but has a lot of fine bones. I have eaten smoked Carp and it is excellent. SMOKIT

10. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

SMOKIT is right, smoked domestic carp ( we call them Chicago bass)are good eating, just a lot of small Y bones, chew carefully. Ross Puls

11. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Asian Carp is destroying everything in it's wake. The only thing keeping them out of Lake Michigan is a set of locks.

Jerbear

12. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have done a lot of bowfishing for carp. I would love to try shooting the arial Asian carp. When it comes to eating a carp, I would have to be awful hungry. I have a hard time thinking about eating anything that will decompose in 24 hrs. Bill

13. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Shooting these things on the jump would be so much fun. I'd use 8's!

14. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

Wonder what what this Carp is thinking?? Id give em the finger(if I had one?)LOL

15. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

We call them mullet in the Gulf coast.

Funny thing is that in Louisiana they're considered bait and not eaten; but in the Florida panhandle they're considered a local fried delicacy.

Nothing like haulin' butt in your bass boat and one of them decides to jump directly in your path.

At my favorite panhandle roadhouse called the FloraBamma Lounge they have an annual mullet toss contest across the state line on the beach. Kenny Stabler used to participate. Good good redneck fun!

Guy Babin

16. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Ross--You said "chew carefully" and while that is true, you should swallow even more careful. If you have ever had a carp bone get caught in your throat you would undertsand. I have had my share of carp but i try to pass when there are choices. Just damn tough to beat fried Crappie and Bluegill.

17. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

[​IMG]

How would you like this cutey in the boat with you?

A 27-pound bighead carp caught in the St. Croix (kroy) River recently is being used by Minnesota officials to rally support for slowing the spread of such invasive species.

Bighead carp are one of several invasive carp species that the Department of Natural Resources says could seriously harm the state's native fish species and aquatic ecosystems.

This is the seventh incident of bighead carp caught in the Mississippi River watershed bordering Minnesota, but only the second caught in the St. Croix River. The first bighead carp was caught in 1996 in the St. Croix north of its confluence with the Mississippi.

The bighead doesn't pose a danger by leaping out of the water like "leaping" silver carp, but the DNR says they destroy habitats by eating vast amounts of plankton.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://washingtonexaminer.com/news/2011/04/bighead-carp-caught-st-croix-river#ixzz1KAC4c7lC

18. ljutic 111

ljutic 111 TS Member

I've seen a few of these videos and they are amazing . In a few years the rivers will be desimated of other fish and that is the biggest problem . I would think the Division of Fish and Game would be starting a netting program to haul these suckers out and freeze them for bait sale or process them for fertilizer .

19. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

They are a threat to our water ways and to our native fish. It is a big problem. They have also been known to hurt people while jumping out of the water. Brake bones and knock people out of the boat.

20. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Guy, seen the florbama many times..lol.. these fish are different than mullet, these are asain carp..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

carp trap shhooting