1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

flyer shooters:12 gauge/28 gauge combo Perazzi gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sernv99, Nov 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

looking to try my hand at flyers next year....I have seen the shoot program at an upcoming venue offering 12 and 28 gauge races. Rather than buy two seperate guns for the two different gauges, I was thinking about the Perazzi 12 gauge frame with both 12 gauge and 28 gauge barrels.

Do any shooters shoot this configuration, a Perazzi 12 gauge frame with both 12 gauge and 28 gauge barrels? If so, what is your opinion on the weight of the 28 gauge barrels fitted to the 12 gauge frame? Is it a pig on a stick feeling or is it pretty dynamic? Is there any tweaking that needs to be done to not have any fail to fire with the 28 gauge loads on the 12 gauge frame or is this taken care of at the factory?

I have seen some retailers offering the 12 gauge frame with 28 gauge factory choked tubed barrels and the weight on the barrels come in on the high end of the 1.6kg scale (something like 1.66 or 1.68kg).

2. little gambler

little gambler Active Member

Fail to fire with 28 ga? Apperantly you have no idea how big the 28 ga shells have become....... :) RST is making one that is 1 oz and 1300 fps. l.g.

3. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I have seen a few people report that, when utilizing tubes in their 12 gauge, they had issues when using 28 gauge (fail to fire on the second round because the inertia block didn't reset)....not sure if this would be an issue with the 28 gauge barrel. They were using standard 3/4oz loads.

4. Kemper

Kemper Active Member

Better get mechanical triggers It's lost if you don't shoot twice in any decent shoot.

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Why not get a carrier barrel and a set of subgauge tubes, that way your weight, balance, and view over the rib will be exactly the same.

Your triggers are modified when you have the subgauge tubes installed to reset properly with everything down to .410. The triggers you saw either weren't converted (sometimes you can "get away" with not having them converted), or were malfunctioning. Thousands of skeet shooters use Berettas, Brownings, and Perazzis with subgauges tubes with modified inertia systems with no issues whatsoever. The issue you saw would be the same w/ a barrel set as it would be with subgauge tubes, unless you had Perazzi modify the triggers when they installed the barrels.

6. Vince McNamara

Vince McNamara Member

sernv99

I have a 12 ga MX3CL with 20 & 28 ga barrels. It was used for live bird shooting by the previous owner. I have just used the 28 & 20 ga barrels for quail and chukar. The gun moves and points very fast with the sub gauge barrels. Personally I would stay away from tube sets. JMHO.

Vince McNamara

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.