1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Flyer/Box bird shooters best guess please

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by duh, Nov 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duh

duh TS Member

Some years ago, I knew a gentleman who had been a pro-shooter for Remington, and was part of the skeet team described in the D.L. Braun skeet book.

He was also a live pigeon shooter, and as I remember had a Beretta SO3 built for him.

To me it was a beautiful shotgun.

Reportedly the barrels were regulated to the same point of impact, with Federal paper 12 gauge 3 1/4 by 1 1/4.

He used 7 1/2 in the top barrel and 8s in the lower.

The shotgun had 3 sets of over/under ventilated rib barrels; A 28", a 30" and a 32".

As he went back in yardage, he would use a longer barrel; all barrels were for box birds.

Best guess now please:

for what yardage would the lower barrel be choked and the upper barrel assuming it would be fired five yards later

The 28" barrels would have been used at 24 meters to ? meters and choked ?,

The 30" barrels would have been used at ? meters to ? meters and choked ?,

The 32" barrels would have been used at ? meters to 31 meters and choked ?.

Would 8s still have been used at the intermediate and longest distances?

Thanking you in advance, I be duh

2. Ithaca$$$Grade

Ithaca$$$Grade Active Member

Tighter than a bulls ass in fly season for all the barrels, u b duh.

3. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

I would imagine that the barrels were for conditions not yardages.

4. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

are you talking about Barnabee trap birds in the USA, or Zuritos/ zurito cross birds in Europe? What about altitude?
    Homer Clark Jr. shot a 3 bbl. sidelock Beretta, maybe the best that ever was.

5. duh

duh TS Member

Conditions - please explain or give an example

The last shoot he attended (that I knew) was at TB in Shreveport - which would

have been Barnabee - however - he went to Italy to receive the Beretta - so he may have competed in Europe

Thanks for your responses

6. 5141

5141 Member

If by "TB" you mean Toby Bancroft's shoot ,it was held in West Monroe La...not Shreveport.
    The Barnabee Boxes were first installed at the "revived" Bancroft shoot in 1983 several years after Toby's death.....

7. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

I don't know the answer for flyers, but I have broken lots of second shot birds while shooting bunker with #8 shot. My O/U is choked .20/.30. I would imagine tighter would be better but that is what I have. I am certainly no expert but it is an interesting data point.

8. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

There are 2 schools of thought on flyer shooting, Billy Perdue always liked full&full, on the theory that if you missed with the first bbl you would know immediately and not hesitate with the second shot. The other school is to be looser with the first shot to get something in them to at least slow them down for the 2nd shot. As to bbl length, I have always felt that the over riding factor is your own physical stature. Big guys can handle longer, heavier guns than smaller people can. There have been many great shooters shooting lots of different set-ups. A typical flyer gun will be choked .025 & .035.but you don't need that much in Europe, shooting from 24 to 27 meters, whereas in the US, you start at 29 meters and slide on a perfect 5.

9. duh

duh TS Member

5141 thank you for correcting my remembrance - was West Monroe -

EJ if in US one starts at 29 and moves back 5 - what is the maximum one may be moved back - thank you

10. Boxbirder

Boxbirder Member

You will slide back 1 yard or meter depending where your shooting at per 5 striaght birds. So on the last series if your on the last slide many are rooting for you to miss.:) In a 25 bird race 4 slides is the max if you run the first 20.

11. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

For box birds I used to shoot a light (trap) full for the first shot and a tight full for the second. If I was pointing well that day the first barrel would hit the bird hard enough to knock it down and the second would erase any doubt that it was dead as a post. Most of the shooters I knew when I shot bird used tight chokes. With the improvement in ammo and barrels today one might not need so much choke. Bob

12. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Earl- The conditions I was referring to would be wind, wind direction, and light.

Birds fly differently all the time but you usually draw similar birds for each ring you shoot.

If the birds were flying towards or straight at me I might use shorter more open barrel first shot.
    Joe

13. Bueno

Bueno Member

Chokes at sea level should be according to the type of bird and the season. In the winter birds have a tougher coat than in the summer. #8's would be OK in the more open barrel and 7 1/2 in the second.
    Modified and full is good, or light full and extra full. The barrel length does not mater a far as the chokes go, but it does matter depending on your vision and how fast you move your gun.
    You can move a longer barrel gun better the farther you go back, and the shorter barrels are ideal for the shorter distances.
    I would just have one barrel for any distance, as switching barrels while shooting can be cumbersome, as well as adapting to different gun balances.
    Also remember the formula: higher speeds give a more open pattern, lower speeds tighter. A 3 1/4 and 1 1/4 load would give you a tighter (and better) pattern than a 3 3/4 and 1 1/4.

14. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

I suggest geometry may be the reason for the increasing length in barrels.

As the shooter moves farther back from the traps, the angle's are smaller and the longer barrels would probably help to elimate over-swinging and promote a good follow-thru.

With respect to distances from the traps, regular shooter's will have a known-ability and may be required to start from a longer distance -- when and if a shooter moved from initial yardage varied from club to club but a typical one might be --- kill 3 birds in a row and move back a yard. This would continue until a shooter reached maximaum yardage. And, of course, once you moved back during a specific race you didn't move up by missing.

A shooting game not for the timid in spirit nor for someone without suffieient $$$$.

15. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

If you are of tall stature, especially with long arms, the longer barrels are nice....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
billy perdue flyer shooting

billy perdue shotgun