1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fly fishing addicts:Sage Light Line rod comparison

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by sernv99, Mar 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

last year there was a good thread on here about fly rods, with a couple of the posts mentioning about the Sage Light Line rods. These rods are no longer made and get a high premium price on the second hand market,especially the 389 models (3 piece, 8'9" rod length). I am looking to get a "light line", multipiece rod for dry fly fishing and a Sage LL 389 is hard to come by.

So for those that fished the Sage Light Line rods, is there another comparable rod in the Sage line, either current production or past production, that compares to the Light Line model? Maybe the SPL?

What other rod makers out there produce or have produced in the past, a rod similar to the Sage Light Line? I would be interested in Winston, Scott, Powell (before being sold to Schwab), Orvis, or Thomson and Thomson, or another well established brand.

Thanks.

2. Cyrus

Cyrus Member

I agree with you . I have the LL 3 wt. 8'9" and what they called the LL 3-4 wt. 6'9" some 20 years ago. I like the 6'9" better for most of my fishing ( small streams). But both are excellent sticks. Last season I looked at preowned ones. Most were TOP DOLLR and had scratches and dings etc. They also carry no warranty. So I purchased a pair of new Winston LT rods in 3 and 5 wts. They come in 3 and 5 pc. and are about the same price as a used Sage LL and are as close as I can find. IMO, if I could find a MINT Sage LL I would perfer it over the Winston. Why did Sage stop production on this blank and spend so much R&D on such suboptimal rods for fresh water. I would never add any of these rods to my arsenal. Good luck, I hope you find a winner. Jeff

3. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

I had a super nice LL I want to say it was a 8'9" 4 wt. It was a great dryfly rod and then it got stolen out of my truck.

4. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

about the Sage Light Line, I was watching an ebay auction this week for a "like new" 389 model. It ended up selling for $576.00. Yikes!!

5. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

What action do you prefer, Im sure as your aware, each company is different. All my rods are for "salt" they are Fenwick Iron Feathers, 2 piece graphite, all 9' from 2 to 9 weight fast action in all.The 2 and 3 on a small stream or creek are superb as well as on newbys in the salt in the shallows.
    The casting is superb in any and all wind as well as fighting, much better than Sage, Orvis or any other. You can hold more line in the air with those rods than you ever thought possible. If you ever get the chance, try any of them. Lee

6. craby boy

craby boy TS Member

I have a as new Bean SPT 3 WT 2 piece 8'6" .These were made by loomis.

Any interest I can get a picture done up.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best sage ll fly rod

sage 389 ll fly rod

sage 389 ll fly rods for sale

sage light line fly rod sale

sage ll 389

sage ll fly rods

sage spl light 389 3

used sage ll fly rod