1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Florida State Shoot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Barkingspider21, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

Last weekend I was at the Silver Dollar Shooters Club for the State shoot, had a great time, it was well organized and well run and you had all the info you needed to shoot. I stayed at the TAHITIAN RESORT on highway 19 north but won't be returning there, in my opinion that palce is a rat hole, room smelled moldy, they could'nt find my reservation, they were just totally screwed up and to top it off someone there compromised my credit card. There was a charge for $61.00 and change for the TARPON INN on the same day I was at the TAHITIAN INN and that was the only place I used the card, everything else was cash. So if you go to the Dollar for a shoot, stay away from the TAHITIAN RESORT.
    Woody Sullivan, Orlando FL

2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Absolutely a dump. Stayed there last year and got propositioned outside my room-not a looker either. Was THE place to stay 20 years ago and now a pigsty.

PS, don't look under the beds!!

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Plenty of nice places in Port Richy and only a 1/2 hour drive if you take Regency Parkway to Keystone road. Avoid Rt 19 due to traffic. Lots of great places to eat in Port Richy too.

4. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

I used to stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Oldsmar but with the horses running they are out of my price range. The last several big shoots I have stayed at the LaQuinta by the Clearwater airport. About an half hour drive and plenty of places to eat. It is clean, reasonable priced and sure beats those hole in the walls on 19...
    Van

5. oleolliedawg

I should keep this a secret but the Quality Inn on RT.19 in New Port Richey was a real find. Extremely clean, good bar and food. Great price too at $49.99/night!!

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

ole, You should hit the "Crab Shack" off the river in New Port Richy.

7. dverna

dverna Active Member

For the Southern Grand I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on 19 in Port Richey. 35 minute drive. $85/night if you prepay.

Thinking of taking the 5th wheel next year and staying for all three shoots.

Don Verna

8. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Too bad that I didn't keep my house in Town and Country. That would have been a fairly easy drive.

9. dverna

dverna Active Member

Paul

I stopped at RR on the way down as I had business in Jacksonville/Orlando so it was on the way. I had heard good things about RR so decided to visit. Nice place to shoot!

Only had time to shoot two lines and they had a marathon running. I managed to go straight. I can now say "I have never missed a bird at RR!"

The guy running the practice traps wondered if I had every shot trap before until he saw the K-80 below. Only a trapshooter would do that to a $15k gun LOL. We both had a laugh.

dverna_2008_03036.jpg

10. recurvyarcher

What is that black stuff, Don?

11. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Recurvey--its a Rat Grip, new self molding grips.

Phil Berkowitz

12. dverna

dverna Active Member

Devi,

I posted a thread on the grip about a month ago.

It can be removed without damaging the stock and is easily molded/altered with a heat gun.

Don Verna

13. recurvyarcher

I like it. Where to buy it?

14. RFGA2

RFGA2 Member

Recurvey: Don't even think about putting any of that Rat Grip on Martin!

Bob Gibson
    rfga2

15. twotimer

twotimer Member

I'm not sure how this thread ended up with rat grip. Another vote for the Holiday express in Oldsmar. About 9 miles from the dollar. Mike

16. 1881home

1881home TS Member

Several years ago, I stayed at the place you mentioned, and I too found it to be a real dump.

I suggested to Silver Dollar management that they not put the motel's name and address in the back of their programs. At the time, I thought that they appreciated the information and the suggestion. I guess I was wrong.

Personally, I think its a dis-service to the shooters to list a motel that is as bad as that one, especially after it was brought to their attention. I realize that Silver Dollar management can't control the quality of a motel, but, when something that bad has been brought to their attention, years ago, I blame them for listing the place in the back of any program. Surely, the Dollar management can recommend some places to stay that they too would like to stay in! The Tahitian is not the place!

17. recurvyarcher

Advertising dollars.

18. 1881home

1881home TS Member

19. oleolliedawg

Noodle, the Silver Dollar management is too preoccupied with preventing 4 year old boys from walking on sidewalks than their shooter customers getting the crabs or worse. Last I remembered sidewalks are for walking not madly driving on with their buggies trying to look important!!

20. Taminator

Taminator TS Member

Seems as if walking on the sidewalk is not their only beef. They told him to get his bike off the sidewalk when he was only going around the shooter's bench to get back on the grass on the other side. This was on bank one so we all know with the vendor's in the back, there is only one way to get back on the grass. Around the shooter's bench. Just a note, his parents were walking right along side of him- in the walking and biking incident. It seems Mr. Miller had no issue with adults on bikes riding on the sidewalk as he took his little buggy right past a woman and he spoke not one word to her. So much for welcoming the younger generation into the fold of a dying sport. Driving a golf cart around like maniacs does not make one God.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.