1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Florida Spring Champs

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by FloridaTrapper, May 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FloridaTrapper

FloridaTrapper TS Member

No, afraid not. What with the cost of shooting, gas, and lodging. You could be a winner in every event, and still wind up a loser financially. Unfortunately, I believe most shoots will be down this year, and some substantially. We have already seen evidence of that. And no, I don't have any solution for this nasty situation. Some are being driven out of the sport, while many others are being forced to cut back substantially.

2. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

AMEN, Florida Trapper. I was beginning to think that the only ones who posted about the escalating costs of participating in this sport drove 45' motor homes and shot $30,000.00 scrolled and gold-engraved shotguns.

Those are the ones who keep tell us "poor folk" to quit bitching ; it really isn't THAT expensive. YEAH, right......................

When they are the only ones left at major shooting tournaments, who are they going to look down their noses at anymore? hmmmmmmm...........

3. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

See you at Gator Paul. I have a diesel motor home shoot an American made gun but to say I look down my nose at someone is unfair. I spent 20 years in the military(enlisted) and the last 15 years self employed in order to do what I want when I want. Yep I feel the crunch but I ain't gonna just sit on the porch. Jake

4. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

While I do agree that shooting is down(and will continue to be) because of rising expenses, most people will(and will always be) a "loser" finically. VERY VERY few people make any money in this sport. When the financial gain/loss becomes a concern to me, I'll quit. Trapshooting is a sport, not a buisness. The average Joe is, and will always be it's backbone. The problem is that the average working stiff "IS" being squeezed out as working families srtuggle to make ends meet on food, housing, clothing, and transportation cost. Where I live there are only 4 clubs within ANY reasonable driving distance and they are 140 mi.,130 mi.,115 mi., and 105 mi. away. Two are in FL and two in AL. Gas prices alone are making the traveling to them a huge expense. Travelng to a large shoot and factoring in the cost of food and lodging, it is getting out of reach of some families budget, and getting there FAST! Some people try to say that because Micro Soft, banks, and big oil are making BILLIONS, everything is fine. The truth is the country is headed for a steep recession and the working class is going to feel the pinch as prices out pace wages. Disposable income(a buzz word for the money left after the bills are paid) is shrinking fast for most vfamilies. I am not wealthy by any means, but I do make an "above average" income for a working man. I love the sport and I'll shoot as long as I can "reasonably" afford it, but many folks are getting to the decision point and shooting of all types will probably continue to suffer until the economy stabilizes.

5. Tatanka Donk

Tatanka Donk Active Member

Over/under, You must be close to the line up there. I plan to be at Gator and Fri, Sat & Sunday at Alabama. Go to presquad and get on a squad with me. It'll be good to see you.
    Don Kerce

6. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Paul, Look forward to seing you at the Bama state. over/under is really "smokin e'm" lately. He is known as "The Intimidator" in these parts now. Doubt if I make it to Gator, but will be at Bill's place for the Alabama state. See you there!

7. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Paul, hows the new house comming? Jake

8. ky205

ky205 Member

Paul,
    Some of our shooters from Eustis GC will be there, probally on Sun. & Mon.

Harry W.

9. Baber

Baber TS Member

Guys...

We are planning on opening the bunker Saturday afternoon to allow some Juniors to shoot. You are welcome to join in. Might improve your ATA game.

TB

10. Baber

Baber TS Member

11. Baber

Baber TS Member

12. Baber

Baber TS Member

13. Baber

Baber TS Member

14. Baber

Baber TS Member

15. Baber

Baber TS Member

16. Baber

Baber TS Member

Be there today...

17. Sandy Mitchell

Sandy Mitchell TS Member

Hi Paul, Glad to know you are still up and going. I would love to sit a spell under your shade trees but it is a long haul from Texas. You have changed your e-mail address and some of the stuff I sent to you came back. Take care of yourself and keep your head down. Say hello to all my old friends in Florida for me.

Pull, Sandy

18. Baber

Baber TS Member

This was an outstanding shoot. Great turnout over 20 Squads for some events! Surprising since gas prices are so high. Has 12 Junior Shooters shot on the bunker late Saturday. Hopefully some enjoyed it enough to come back. Still need someone to run a Junior program....

Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.