1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Florida speed traps ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 635 G, Feb 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Going to Florida at the end of the month. I was given a heads up about the speed traps on 301, lawtry & waldo. In the past there was a discussion of building a bypass for these crooks. Has the bypass been built? If not I'll take 75 S from 10W & then go west off of 75.

Phil Berkowitz

2. geneleroy

geneleroy TS Member

Phil: Drive the speed limits, works for me! Haven't had a ticket since my teen years, many, many moons ago! LOL

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Take the interstates (10 & 75) and save yourself the anxiety of potential speed traps.

Eric

4. miken

miken Member

ALSO;

MAKE SURE YOU WEAR A SEAT BELT
    IT COST ME 101.00 last month and i was'nt even driving!!!!

mike niedzwiecki

5. Baber

Baber TS Member

Phil:

I drive through Lawtey, Hampton and Waldo a couple of times a week. Lawtey has a valid beef. There is a school right along side US 301. You need to be careful with the little town of Hampton. Its just north of Waldo. Its a change down from 65 to 55 and they occasionally have a rent a cop with a radar gun.

The worse place is Waldo. They change from 65 to 55 to 45 so often its hard to keep track of. Just do 45 through the town and you will be ok.

Its 30-50 miles further to go I10 to I75. Not worth it since you now know what to look for.

On a better note you can now come by the Gator Skeet and Trap Club and shoot some bunker.... Now that some real TRAP! Just exit on SR 24 at Waldo and come to the Club. Suggest you use the map on the website as your GPS will take you into never never land.

Tom

6. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

A few months ago I traveled down in Fl to pick up 1200 pounds of reclaimed shot. As I was traveling from Starke to Waldo there was a white pu like mine that was flying. As I got in Waldo I was pulled over for doing 72 in a 45. I told the officer that pulled me over that I have been following the unmarked car since he left Starke and never speeded. The other truck turned at the redlight in Waldo and got away. Cost me $360.00 and judge and officer said they had heard all the excuses. I told them that I was innocent and would pray for them but if the opportunity availed itself I would be glad to beat some sense into them. IT IS A SPEED TRAP! I was never clocked or anything. The Chief of Police that issued me the ticket told me I could go to court but he had never had one overturned yet. He was right I guess. Jackie B.

7. Baber

Baber TS Member

Shooting Jack.... You got flim flamed.... I took them to court once and got off. They know its a racket and if you take them to court using their system the cop won't show up and it gets thrown out. I got caught for 66 in a 55 when I was probably doing 50 in a 45. Was contacted by a law firm that specializes in Waldo cases and get it squashed. Why the state does not go in and take their city charter I don't know. But the key is that you must adhere to the speed limit. If you do you probably will not have a problem.

Tom

8. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

When I lived in Florida, waldo was famous or better said infamous. A neighbor of mine got a ticket for having his wipers on & his headlights were off. He was washing his windshield. They have issued tickets for 1 mph over the limit. On the better side of caution I take 10 to 75. There most likely will not be more than 1/2 hour more time.

Phil Berkowitz

9. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

Why those rascals !!!

10. JOND

JOND TS Member

Just found an interesting website for any U.S. city. Checkout speedtrap.org JOND

11. andybull

andybull Active Member

Try to follow speed limits and get yourself a good radar detector (just in case). Always travel at posted speed limit when you are not traveling with a pack of cars.

Andy

12. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Speed traps......absolutely! Tourist money is their favorite. First thing they do is look at your tag and say "you from outa' town ain't you boy?" They count on the fact you won't be staying or returning for traffic court. Slam dunk...easy money.

13. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

If you are coming down the east cost (I-95), take US 17 south out of JAX to Palatka. Then take State Route 19 south out of Palatka all the way to State Route 50. Then take Route 50 west to I-75. Of course, this is assuming you are going to the Silver Dollar.

I've traveled the above routes MANY times with no problems. Of course, I can't guarantee you won't get a speeding ticket if you are in fact speeding, but at least there are no speed traps along this route that I know of.

Easystreet

14. Baber

Baber TS Member

Like i said.... You obey the speed limits in Waldo and you won't have problems. i go through the town 2-3 time a week. I have a good radar detector and I know where to slow down. Sure its a racket but if you pay attention you can avoid driving 50 miles out of your way.

Tom

15. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Tom, according to the Speedtrap.org website-a radar detector wouldn't help in Lawtey. The speed limit signs change very rapidly & there is enough time to slow down without being rear ended. They also say the cops use laser speed detection devices. That means-when your detector goes off--get the license, registration,insurance card & check book out.

Fifty miles at 60 minutes is 50 minutes--I'm in no rush. Just want to shoot and have fun, without a sour taste or resentment of the place I'm going to.

Phil Berkowitz

16. Baber

Baber TS Member

Phil....

This is BS... The state remarked the signs a number of years ago to resolve this situation. You are given plenty of time especially in Lawtey.

Tom

17. geneleroy

geneleroy TS Member

Back in the 90's there was an infamous speed trap located in the hamlet of Macks Creek, MO, just down the road from Camdenton at the Lake of the Ozarks. There was a large 'billboard' type sign on the north bound side of US54 highway warning motorists of this trap. As you crossed the city limits you were going down a rather long stretch of 'down-hill' highway, making it very easy to exceed the posted limit. One mile-an-hour over could get you a ticket! The lion's share of the Macks Creek operating budget was garnered from speeding tickets! There was so much h*ll raised about this trap that the Mo legislature passed a law that required most of the revenue from traffic fines be turned over to the State! This law was the demise of the Macks Creek source of revenue!

18. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

There is still a speed trap on 54 heading toward Camdenton in the Linn Creek area. .

ed.

19. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

From 1970 to 2001 , we always went thru Waldo to Homassassa Springs to visit my father in law and made it a point to get there to go thru the flea market . Never had the chance to have an Officer stop me nor did I recall seeing any but that doesn`t say they weren`t hiding behind some billboard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

florida i10 speed traps

radar traps in fl

speed traps in florida

speed traps in florida i75