1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Florida Real Estate atty?/update sale Cancelled

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Barrelbulge(Fl), May 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Home purchase is turning sour and I could use some legal advice for now, maybe representation later. Bulge.

For you guys that wanted to know. When our submitted offer was returned it came with a addendum. It stated that they had no knowledge of the functionality of the pool and that we were aware of the fact that there was a termite inspection done.We were not aware of that fact. I asked for the termite report and it stated that evidence was found but nothing active at that time. It also stated that it was not treated. This brought immediate panic and some anger as this information is legally to be made known before negotiations. Also on the addendum was a statement which they wanted us to sign saying we were aware of these problems. Of course I did not sign. Then a lot of back and forth between my agent and the selling agent representing the FHA. Sellers comment we had no knowledge of problems because the former owners left wothout telling them anything. However the selling agent was the one who had the termite inspection done.They had to know. After my complaining and having my own termite inspection done they come up with a receipt showing that the termite problem was treated.At that point I had spent $75 for a termite inspection that I probably did not need if I would have had their receipt up front.

Next we had a home inspector go out and guess what he found. The pool (remember above) has a slow leak. The neighbor verified that fact. The neighbor was very helpful and informed my inspector that the house had a repaired sinkhole. I told my agent and naturally he started denying any knowledge of anything but he did inform me that the house had been sold twice before and both deals fell apart. I could go on and on but i'll give you the highlights. The air handler is rusted out and needs to be replaced, the roof had signs of previous leaks and was in it last quarter of life. The attic had been infested with rats judging from the rat fecses that was up there, the lawn sprinkler pump was shot, the water softener was in the by pass mode and did not work, and the list goes on and on and on. Now I am tracking down the person in the FHA that is responsible for foreclosed properties so I can let them know the type of agent that they are using in Fl. to represent them. With two previous deals falling apart they had to know of the problems with this house and the reason I say that, in order to cancel your offer you must submit the inspectors report stating the problems. Bulge.

PS: You have really got to watch if you are buying RE in Fl. So many deals fall through the agents just seem to be loosing all scruples.

2. dhwbailey

dhwbailey Member

You didn't buy one of those foreclosed ones did you?

3. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

I was under the impression that was a done deal Bulge. Hope things work out. Good luck Chuck Hrosik

4. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Inspection revealed a lot. Needless to say wife and I are extremele disappointed. The deal is still open as of now. Hell if we move in I'll have a Southern Grand shooting party for the people on here. Bulge.

5. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

You know we want details Bulge. You've got us curious.

Nick

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Sounds like my current house. Looked great until the inspector found some nightmare issues hidden. We were lucky enough to talk the sellers into deducting money so that we could have the issues corrected right. Selling price in '99 went from $95,000 to $59,000 in a few days. They were ready to sell and we found out why it hadn't sold before.

Good luck Bulge. I HATE buying houses. This is why. Next one(if there is a next one) will be built for us. No more somebody elses problems for me. I hope it works out. I know what it is like to have your hopes up and things come screeching to a stop.

7. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

PM me you might want to check out the other coast. Ocean breezes & way less crowded. Some good clubs on the other coast. Unless you want to be married to the dollar,

Phil Berkowitz

8. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

Plenty of problems on new construction homes the only diffreance there is retainiage $$$

9. Barrelbulge(Fl)

I can get out of the deal but my wife loved (So do I)the house. I want to force them to fix the items they knew about and did not disclose. Bulge.

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Bulge--depends on how bad the seller wants to sell. Don't let your love for the place cloud your judgement though. Plenty of houses on the market and pools and "Florida Rooms" can be added easily to many others.

11. Barrelbulge(Fl)

It is owned by the FHA. I feel the agent handling forclosures for the gubmint isn't totally above board or is usng the FHA as a scapegoat. I'll get into the whole thing some day. You really have to keep up your watch while buying a home down there. Kate and I have been trying this for over 2 1/2 years and there always seems to be surprises. Bulge.

12. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Love and money don't mix and should never meet in public!!

Curt

13. over/under

over/under Member

My wife is a Fl RE agent. If it was a short sale or foreclosure property, they are as is usually.

14. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Who hired the inspector? Who recommended the inspector? If it was the realtor, be very very careful. Also, the area you are buying in or looking in is prone to sink holes. Furthermore, Florida home owners insurance is scheduled to increase by 15% a year in the very near future. Home inspectors must find something wrong to justify their fee.

Phil Berkowitz

15. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Try this for a surprise - the reverse osmosis water filtration system which supplies water to the community disolves copper pipe. Leaks springing up throughout the houase; in the walls and under the floors, etc.. There is a fix but the price is about $20K without haggling.

16. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Birddogs--must have been a older house, haven't seen copper pipe in residential plumbing in quite a while. If it was an early type of plastic pipe, or tubing the fittings were no good. The stuff was made by Shell oil in the early 80's

Phil Berkowitz

17. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It is hard to believe the reverse osmosis filtration system is disolving the copper pipes. I think you need a second opinion on that one. HMB

18. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Active Member

HMB

actually viable - RO water is very pure and often slightly low ph. The very pure water is more active chemically and will, over time, dissolve copper (or most anything else for that matter). Copper pipes and ro water are not a good combination long term without ph adjustment and introduction of some ions into the water.

Copper supply piping is very common in homes, at least down here in the south.

K

19. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Termites, poor soil bearing capacity, ground water/lack of drainage, poor attic ventilation, and EFIS (Exterior finsh insulation system) that is improperly installed and drained are the usual problems.

20. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Bulge,

I do not know about Florida but the disclosure laws here are very absolute to a degeee, beyond that if there is anything that the buyer asks about the seller must disclose it also ... There are some people who do not want to buy a home that someone has died in and if you ask about it they must disclose it to the best of their knowledge and it becomes documented ... I hope you can work it out, that looks like a nice place and the area is a good area also ...
    Good luck to you and thw wife on this one ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.