1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Florida House Speaker (GOP) wants review of SYG

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Brian in Oregon, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Florida-House-Speaker-Calls-for-Hearing-on-Stand-Your-Ground-Law-218177562.html

Stand Your Ground does not need a "review". It's pretty damn clear.

And this is coming from the house speaker, who is a Republican. This is the kind of crap expected from Dems, not someone who is supposed to support those who support him.

And the GOP wonders why they are losing supporters.

2. trapperwads

trapperwads Well-Known Member

Whoever this speaker is...and I did not read the entire text...maybe the outcome of the hearing will be that the stand your ground law is as good as it gets and will stay intact. Maybe and I hope that the speaker is smarter than we give him credit for. Any insight from Floridians? ed

3. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Yes, you have to read it carefully. There are a bunch of folks who have invaded our capitol and the Governor's office wanting a special legislative session called to review Stand Your Ground. So the liberal newpapers keep asking when the Governor will call a special session. (Answer-Never).

Now, all that's been said it that it will be reviewed, but not in a special session. The guy who is in charge of the review (Chair of the Committee) has said he doesn't favor changing one comma in the law. So, the antiSYG folks realize they will get a hearing, but nothing will likely come out of it.

There are actually some issues in the law, in that some dirt bags have used the law to avoid being prosecuted and the legislature would like to eliminate that problem without changing the impact on self defense.

All of the R folks involved are the good guys and, probably, there will be no changes unless they can figure a way to take the dirt bag defense out of the law.

For all practical purposes, this is much ado about nothing.

Bob

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I sure hope you're right, Bob, because if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Any time a law gets reviewed here, it becomes fertile soil for liberal monkeywrenching. It's dangerous for a Republican here to ask for such a review.

5. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

The Florida speaker is a RINO if he keeps at this. Hopefully this is some feel good remarks for the Dems. Maybe not.

6. straightshooter1

He's about as far from a RINO as one could be.

Bob

7. crusha

crusha TS Member

Keep your pants on Bri. Hopefully, a perfunctory administrative review, then the expected press release stating the law has been reviewed by the legal team, found to be legally sound, and the thumb-sucking black leaders can go eff themselves.

Okay, scratch that last part.

If they refuse to "perform" the "review," that non-performance will give the black leader thumb-suckers more grist for their mill than the review could produce itself.

8. TF

TF Active Member

I think the protesters have been hoping our governor (who waffles regularly) would eventually change his mind and call a session. Keep in mind It's the governor who appointed the idiot prosecutor from Jacksonville that has prolonged this mess. Isn't it absolutely amazing that these individuals can stay in Tallahassee and protest and none have to go to work? Gee, I have to go tomorrow--guess I'm not qualified to be a protester!

9. straightshooter1

Remember, as I said in the threads about the Zimmerman trial, the Governor only appoints, can't tell the prosecutor what to do.

And, the Governor can't make the prosecutor accept the appointment for a case in another circuit. He has to find one who is willing. No one knows if Corey was his first call or his tenth when he had to find a new prosecutor (as the one in the circuit where this occurred claimed he had a conflict).

Our Governor does, from time to time waffle. He's a staunch Second Amendment supporter, though.

I doubt we will see him call a Special Session and the Democrats don't have enough votes to do it themselves (IIRC, they need something like 96 members of the Legislature to agree to a Special Session).

I do expect this Governor will be only a One Termer, and, to be honest, I am not sure I will vote for him when the next election come around.

Bob

10. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

Has anyone else been wondering why our "Stand Your Ground" law has been getting such an incredible amount of attention lately..???
    The Zimmerman Trial...??? Really..??
    "Stand You Ground" Was NOT any part of George Zimmerman's defense.
    There was NO "Stand Your Ground" claim by Zimmerman, or his defense team. They never brought it up. Didn't need to, the case was crystal clear without it.
    SOOoooo...we're left to ponder the question...WHY all the attention NOW ????

11. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Don, because there is nothing else for them to cry about AND they can. They will only be silenced when the Lib media stop reporting it. Jake

12. straightshooter1

The St. Petersburg Times, now the Tampa Bay Times, Florida's largest newspaper, started a series on the SYG law and showed a dozen or so cases where the bad guy, the guy who either started the confrontation or was involved in some criminal act, either was not prosecuted, was granted immunity through the courts or was found not guilty in a trial.

This paper hates SYG with a passion and has spent more than a year with articles, commentaries, editorials, etc. attacking it.

As the biggest paper, it carries some weight. This paper seems to be the genesis of all the activity.

You can read these articles on line. Just google the Tampa Bay Times but be careful you don't barf all over your keyboard.

Bob

13. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

Until this country ( our PC politicians ) have the GUTS to address who is committing the majority of crimes and why, we will continue to spiral downward until places like Detroit, Chicago,D.C. etc.. start looking normal!! God help us.

14. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

Whats a RINO?

15. straightshooter1

A disparaging nickname for a Republican who seems to be anything but conservative in his/her actions, votes, bills, etc.

RINO-Republican In Name Only

Bob

16. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

thanks Bob. U close to the Silver Dollar club?

17. straightshooter1

Yes, shoot there most days.

Bob