1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

floor covering

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by hehawboy, Feb 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hehawboy

hehawboy Member

Hello everyone !! Looking for help on a durable floor covering that will go over plywood in our trap club house .Our club is in mass and see's alot of adverse conditions .Need your input on what s the best floor that will last but will also take a beating .Thanks

THIS BELONGS IN THE OFF TOPIC SECTION - MODERATOR

2. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Your whole club is in mass? A Catholic only club no doubt. :)
    There is a very tough polymer coating used on garage floors over concrete. Sold in larger auto parts stores. A little pricey but looks nice in a friend's garage and very durable. I've often wondered if it would adhere to wood but might be worth investigating. There may also be a similar product made for wood.

3. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

HE said WOOD floor
    your best is the Flex floor Home Depot Lowes for a Layman it works great most are 18inx18in and has its special glue but sand mud dont hurt it and it works on a wood sub floor hard tile dont

4. skeezix

skeezix Member

ceramic tile would be great if your floor system is stiff enough. If you have much bounce or flex of the floor joists the ceramic tile will crack.

I don't know anything about the flex floor mentioned above.

One of the local hospitals has a flooring in it that looks like wood flooring - but it isn't - but it is tough stuff. I know it is applied in their case over concrete which may explain why it feels so tough.

There are some heavy duty commercial carpets that come in about 2' squares that can be peeled up and replaced when the high traffic areas wear. i'd think the carpet would be a pain to keep up in a trap club though - too much mud and dust and spilled beverages.

Epoxy might be nice a tough, cleanable, - but a little tough to apply http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to-prep-a-wood-surface-for-epoxy-floor-installation

john

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Gun club floors take a beating. A concrete floor is easy, there are epoxy coatings that wear like iron.

No matter what you put on your subfloor it will have to have a leveler or skim coat applied. Our club had a very high quality sheet goods flooring that lasted 30 years till we remodeled.

I would use a tile or sheet goods of the grades used in schools and hospitals.

Important: maintenance, high grade commercial procedures also.

If you fudge it on this you will just be buying a headache.

HM

6. skeezix

skeezix Member

This looks like the stuff used in the hospital:

http://www.johnsonite.com/FlooringProducts/VinylFlooring/Acczent/tabid/772/Default.aspx

tough stuff. probably proportionately pricy.

john

7. AEP

AEP Member

Go with tile. It will last until the club gets tired of looking at it. Provided your floor will take it. The comment about the floor flexing is a very good point.

Stay away from the laminates they won't hold up.

Andy

8. higun

higun Member

what is the square footage of the floor?

9. hehawboy

hehawboy Member

Thanks Guys!! The floor is 20x35 so looking around 700 sq ft .Thanks for your ideas it's still up in the air ,but I liked the floor covering at home depot that looks like tile but comes in 3 foot x 1foot sheets and they stix together.Water proof which which to me would be great ,Has anyone used the flooring I'm talking about Thanks Mike

10. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

I have seen that stuff. Its crap for your intended use. Will NOT hold up long under heavy traffic and slick as Owl Sh*t when wet.

Others have already mentioned the right stuff..... commercial grade vinyl. 100's of colors and patterns. Not too expensive and when it begins to look bad, it affordable to replace.

Mark

11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

There is a vinyl that looks like slate, (not slippery when wet) made by Armstrong, sold at Lowes and Home Depot ... It is commercial grade and carries a warrantee, its not the cheapest way to get out but it'll look good and be serviceable for many years to come ... The subfloor would have to be sealed (Thompsons) to prevent it lifting from the moisture ... You might have to ask for it because retailers don't set the samples out because it is commercial grade ... I know of a church that has it installed in the vestabule and they walk on it every Sunday for about 5 years and it still looks like new ... I will try and get the name of it from the Pastor of the Church if you might be interested ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

lowes flexfloor