1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Flooding & the GRand?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ronbo142, Jun 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

If Sparta floods most of the United States is under water.

What a bunch of ......

Ronbo

2. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Never having made the trip to Sparta, I don't know what the terrain is like there but I do know that you can even have a flood in a dessert if a heavy enough rain falls in a short enough time. This could be miles away from any river or lake.

When a flood occurs, from whatever source, the damage could take more than a month or two to repair. So now could someone tell me what would make the Sparta area immune from ever having a flood?

There is also the question of if the area near Sparta (lets say 50 miles for discussion) suffers a very heavy and wide ranging flood with tremendous damage to infrastructure and housing, why would the effects of that flood not affect the surrounding territory with things like motels and other temporary housing? Last I heard, New Orleans is still "recovering" two years later. And the effects went all the way out to Houston in the adjoining state, a bunch more than 50 miles away. Granted New Orleans seems to be rather non-independent as compared to Iowa or Missouri so it may not be the best example but it is the well-known and often displayed case study of how to screw-up flood recovery.

3. bh

bh TS Member

I hope we got enough rain to fill in the bare spots around the trailer

4. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Sparta is not within the flood plain of any river. The Kaskaskia i 20 miles away and is either leveed or has the natural roll of the land to protect Sparta. I was in Sparta 2 days after 3+inches of rain fell in a night. The lakes were muddy. No puddles on the property and the adjaucnt farm ground seemed well drained. Certainly not like Iowa's Home Grounds. Oddly their have been alot of motel vacancies in towns 30 miles from Sparta each year since the move to Sparta.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.