1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Flooding in Central Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by DB Bill, Sep 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

Does this bring back memories of Agnes in 1972 - a 100-year storm if there ever was one?

It looks like the National Weather Service and the Susquehanna River Flood Authority (?) is doing a little better than they did with Agnes. They were consistently "behind" the forecasting of the height of the water and their trying to catch up and cover their a$$ led those who lived near the river to stay much longer than they should have --- and they got an award for it from NOAA.

Good luck to those who live in the area -- remember, nothing you own is worth your life.

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Fortunately, we don't have to worry about water infiltration any more but the damage is ongoing in this area. My wife and I were newlyweds when Agnes hit and lived in a townhouse apartment complex. One morning, we awoke to find the living room carpeting soaked - the ground was so water-saturated that water was covering the grass, had overflowed onto out small front porch slab and was seeping under our front door, where it was being absorbed by the carpeting.

I have an old book published in the late 1930s that tells the story of the 1936 flood and other historic high-water events in Pennsylvania through perhaps 100 black-and-white photos. Everyone thought we could never experience a flood of that magnitude again but Agnes showed 'em they were wrong in 1972 and this one isn't minor-league, either.

Ed

3. BROWNST100

BROWNST100 Member

Other than the few years Uncle Sam provided my residence outside of Penna, I have lived here all my life. Hurricanes, Tornadoes, Earthquakes, Tropical Storms & Bad Snows.

You learn where the bad spots are and along the Susquehanna River is at the top of the list. We had some ground water problems the last several days, nothing the sump pumps and wet/dry shop vac couldn't handle. Lost some sleep and now the heat and humidity and dampness reminds you of the jungle.

I am more than ready for a nice crisp, clear fall day.

Vern

4. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

I grew up in Harrisburg and spent my summers with my grand-parents in Lykens -- wasn't a bad way to grow up in the late '40's and early '50's.

The biggest differences I see now when I visit are(1) my friends are all looking so much older --- and eating earlier in the day, (2) there aren't any pheasants to hunt anymore, and (3) there's wild turkey's everywhere.

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

here in Rising Sun we are just a few miles north of Conowingo Dam...it is absolutely jaw dropping to see the ferocity of the water going over and down river...my poor friends in Port Deposit and Havre De Grace Md are floundering as bad as our neighbors up river

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.