1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Flooded basement-wet shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by NO BIRD, Apr 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NO BIRD

NO BIRD TS Member

My basement flooded and about 30 bags of shot were under water. I am concerned about the graphite being washed off. Will I have trouble loading this stuff?

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Why take a chance? Dry the shot, get some powdered graphite to sprinkle and coat the shot and you should be fine.

Eric

3. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Many years ago I forgot to unload 5 or 6 bags of shot from the back of my truck and during the night it rained very hard for hours. I put the full bags on a blanket and left them in the sun for a week or so. I had no problem loading them, the shot was completely dried out. Try this but remember to cover them up at night or if it looks like rain. Larry

4. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I feel bad for you. What a pain.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

If the graphite does float off, what harm would this do? The only reason I can figure out for adding graphite is to make it easier for the factory to size the shot and it might flow just a little faster into a shot bushing.

I would be more concerned with the shot forming a carbonate layer (white coating) that could make lead dust and can cause some of the shot to stick together in small clumps.

Opening 30 bags and drying the shot on cookie sheets is a lot of work. I suspect it would take over 200 cookie sheets. Then after it is dry- what would you do with it? Thirty 2L soft drink containers will hold 30 bags of shot, but filling them is a pain.

I think I would first try to dry the shot in the bags by putting them over an absorbent surface (concrete driveway) and turning them every hour. On a bright warm day, this might work.

You do need to do something today, the lead carbonate will begin to form quickly. You probably will not lose your shot but you probably will lose much of your weekend.

Pat Ireland

6. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

I hope the rest of your basement is OK. I've had this happen myself. Now everything thats on the floor is in a plastic tub including my shot.

Steve

7. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Homeowner's Insurance?

If not, why not!

Curt

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Curt- Homeowners insurance usually does not cover flood damage. If the wet basement was caused by a broken water pipe, it might be covered. If it was caused by heavy rain, it would not be covered. FEMA does offer flood insurance in designated zones but I do not know if it covers personal property.

Pat Ireland

9. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Mine does.....

'tis better to have and not need......than to...well we know the rest..

Sorta like the Boy Scout Motto!

Curt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.