1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Floater in Dominant Eye

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Mike Michalski, Aug 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Last month or so a floater in my right eye (RH shooter) has decided to spend some time directly in the middle of my vision. Somewhat disconcerting when reading, driving, or on the computer, but outright disastrous when shooting. Doctor says he can do nothing. Anyone else have this problem? Any solutions other that quit shooting?

2. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Have you checked out http://www.cure-floaters.com yet? Looks like good info! HTH

3. Satch

Satch TS Member

Mike,

This doc uses lasers to zap floaters. I'm seriously considering going to him since I have large floaters in both eyes due to retinal detachments. Often parked right in the middle of my vision. Definitely makes shotgunning harder.

It occurs to me that Bilberry must be one of the main ingredients in the stuff that Erickson hawks ("Claroxan"). Wikipedia says Navy studied it and could find no effect though.

4. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Mike,

Sorry to hear of your problem. I can relate as I've had advanced retinopothy since 1986. Multiple laser and cryo surgeries later I deal with them every day but mine come and go. My doc says that the blood re-absorbs. All I know is that this last state shoot I was seeing good with only small floaters...basically unnoticeable. I woke up Opening morning to a massive hemorrhage in my right eye (happens 3-4 times per year) which means that it was totally!!! black. No need to go to the state shoot. Took 3 weeks and a day before enough blood had reabsorbed that I could see well enough to see the end of my gun when indoors. But I couldn't see well enough to shoot because light reflecting off that much blood blinds you with a bright light (must wear a patch to get around during daylight). I've lost about 2/3 of my retinas to surgery but still can see straight ahead. I'll definitely follow up on some of the advise given above.

Good news, shortly after my last surgery, I broke the first 100 straight registered doubles in about 20 + years of shooting. At the 2006 GAH I broke 88 out of my last 89 from 27.

For me, if I have a floater big enough to obstruct my view, I look forward...then quickly to the left (or right) then back straight again while holding my head still. The quick eye movement causes the blood floater to move. Sounds funny to some I know but it works for me...as long as there are not too many floaters. Been doing this now for 20 years...hope it works for you and good luck (I do not drive much and only with good vision).

In addition, when I realized that I was possibly going to loose my eyesight to this disease, I had several choices. My BEST choice was to find the best surgeon in the country, but he had to agree to protect my frontal vision for trapshooting. He did and still today asks about my shooting. His name is:

Matthew Thomas, MD

Retina Consultants, St. Louis

He is internally known and works worldwide.

5. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

Dr Calvin Mein in San Antonio, Tx removed my floater after 5 Doc's said nothing could be done. Just change out the eye fluid this is done as a outpatient and could have shot trap the next day. no problems and no pain. i would highly recommend him . His brother is a trap shooter from Kansas.
    Bob Roberts

6. BustClays

BustClays Member

When you cover the target with the floater, pull the trigger!!!! Could be a great rear sight?

bustclays

7. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Thanks for the info guys. I'll try some of these ideas and post results.

BustClays, not funny.

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've gotten the same advice Sir Roberts mentions. My M.D. eye Doc basically says, "It's too risky of a procedure (remove & replace eye fluid) at your level of interference." I always want to ask how he knows my level of interference and he hasn't shot at clay target in his life - he thinks I'm just super picky with my needs.....Bob Dodd

9. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Well I went to the Grand anyway. Shot horrible the first day but discovered if I shot a little quicker it seemed to help. I think that if I ride the target, even a little, the floater gets in the way and an inadvertent twitch of the eye causes a type of flinch. Shot better the rest of the week. You didn't see me in the shootoffs but I still had a great time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

eye floater dominent eye

eyes been checked eye floater doing my head in