1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Flintlock Shotgun or smoothbore musket

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by timb99, Mar 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Check with Mike Allee at the above website.

Check his photos.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Very cool gun Rick.

3. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

I'm +90% sure that is a 'parts gun' that a local smith made for some town militia from Bess 2nd pattern parts. How long is the bbl and what does she weigh?

The sight is a recent addition, and the sling dog on the stock is ... I dunno. Most Bess and Bess Knockoffs had only the barrel and triggerguard attachments.

It looks more like a 'wall gun' than a punt/wildfowl gun. First, all of the original 18th century punt guns were pretty crude affairs, and all of the pics I've seen of the small gauge guns (meaning less than 6 or 4bore) had club butts.

That hooked buttplate has no place in a punt, but is perfect for standing, and firing at angry peasants with hay-forks and grubbing hoes storming the walls. It was not loaded with a ball, but with shot, chopped horseshoe nails, etc.

Have you had it apart and checked to see if any proofmarks are on the barrel? If there are no proofmarks, it sure might be an Indian/Turk/Pakistani effort.

If the breechplug is not rusted-out (and as top-good a condition as that is, I seriously doubt it) it is a shooter!

Depending on barrel length, it might have been used onboard a ship, for repelling Saracens and French pirates.

Cool gun.

Bob

4. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

A bored out Brown Bess LOL

5. aabradley82

aabradley82 TS Member

Please don't chop up horseshoe nailheads. Too damn expensive. If you think lead is high try about 7.5 cents for a horseshoe nail and i use 500-1000 each week. Try birdshot for best results.LOL

Andrew

6. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Kinda tough on doubles !

7. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Approximately 7 gauge.

Although the chart at the link above shows 12 gauge as .748 instead of the modern .729, it should be close to a 7 gauge.

But since this chart is claimed to be from the mid to late 19th century it might be more appropriate than a more modern chart.

8. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Remove the ramrod, barrel bands, and the tang screw then lift the barrel out of the stock. Look for proof marks under barrel.

9. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Also it appears to be about a .920 bore and the ramrod doesn't look original for that period gun. More of a replacement rod.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

flintlock double smoothbore

shooting forums about smoothbore flintlocks

smoothboreform