1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

flintlock or black powder trap?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bruce Em, Mar 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Has anyone tried it or seen others do it?

Is it a signifcantly slower squad?

I can immagine that with practice, one could re-load in time for the next shot. Or maybe not, given expected problems.

2. Bridger

Bridger Member

It goes slow. Usually you shoot at a closer distance, I0 yards if I recall correctly, because most of the old black powder guns don't have any choke. I think its 15 targets instead of 25. I gave up on it as I couldn't hit much.

3. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

Been there, done that, using a traditional flintlock replica, no choke.

It was shot from 10 yards.

The "squad" is structered quite differently from modern trap that we are used to, it can be quite large.

You don't load on the line. There is a loading bench well behind the shooting positions. You load but don't prime, keep the muzzle up and walk to your station and prime. When it is your turn, you shoot and reterat to the bench.

There could be a dozen people going from the loading area, to the line and back.

The result is a fairly steady rate of fire but it does take the individual a while to get their round in.

You wear a conspicuous number on your back so the score keepr marks your hits/misses in the right spot; the score keeper is a bust person who needs to be alert.

A good flintlock, properly maintained and loaded/primed well is actually quite reliable and surprisingly quick on the ignition even though it is slower than any modern o/u, pump, auto, sbt etc., so good followthrough is very important.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.