1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Flinching

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 870, Jun 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Anyone have any suggestions to help with a flinch, already using a release. I know I should have the trigger checked out, maybe it has changed somewhat, but who works on Timney releases?

I haven't been shooting much, 25 targets/ week lately and it happens pretty much every week. I'm hoping if I shoot more it will help. Any other suggestions?

Really getting discouraging.

2. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Get your eyes checked. Flinching is indecision in the brain, recoil isn't the whole story.

3. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

When I have had problems, I go shoot some clays, or skeet, or even off a hand thrower; just something to break your rhythm and get you back to having fun. AJ

4. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

go buy the trapshooting usa magazine-- really good article in the july/august edition that just came out

5. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, I did address the vision thing, have RX lenses. Hasn't made any difference.

6. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Check your hearing protection. You may want to try plugs and muffs...

7. 870

870 Well-Known Member

I don't hold a high gun, I wear plugs and muffs. I've been trying everything.

8. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

I 've heard that Hypnosis works.

9. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

You could try adding weight to your gun or have a go at some Winchester featherlight ammo to see if it helps.

10. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

Try shouldering your gun well and aquiring your sight picture BEFORE you bring the muzzle down. Then as soon as the muzzle lowers to where you want it call for your target. For me too much time preparing for a shot allows me to think too much and flinch, forcing myself to move more quickly seems to help.
    dju

11. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

What kind of flinch? are you haveng a front hand jerk? Can;
    't pull the trigger, Blink at the critical moment? A lot of flinching is caused by visual problems.
    Are you a two eyed shooter? Just for kicks try blocking off one eye for 4 or 5 rounds and see what that might do for your flinch.

I had changing dominance, and my flinch started with the forward hand jerk. It finally led to a full blown fall off the station flinch. Even after the tape deal I still flinched (by this time the couldn't pull the trigger kind) Release fixed the problem. I waited too long to do something about the visual problem. Hope you find out what the real cause is.

Bob
    ps If you are still having the problem I bet Kiner would be more than happy to talk to you about it. Give him a pm if you want. He usually checks this site pretty often

12. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Hard for me to describe it. I'm thinking of filming myself to see what really happens. Seems like I'm swinging on the target fine and just when I want to shoot, there is sort of a "hitch" in my swing before I release the trigger, and my head is up and I'm doing a figure 8 with the barrel. No one else seems to notice it, although I haven't asked anyone else to pay attention while I shoot. It is nowhere near as bad as the flinches I had with a pull trigger years ago, nothing close to falling off the pad.

Two-eyed, right handed. I may be wrong about this, but it seems my right hand is involved in the problem.

I don't lower the gun to the trap house, if anything I call for the target very quickly after mounting the gun, maybe too fast. I do feel that if I am aggressive and move strongly it doesn't happen as often, but still occurs.

13. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

870, It seems to me that you need to talk to kiner. I think I now what is going on but it might be best if you hear it from an expert. You might be a one eyed shooter but just don't realize it. Expect a lot of changes to get it fixed. Tape on off side lens and hold no higher than top of trap house. You gotta see the target clearly and with the right eye before the brain will let you make the correct decision. The figure eighting you are doing is your brain trying to figure out which eye is telling the truth. it is not uncommon for the dominance to switch back and forth while you are following the bird. You really need to talk to Phil.

Bob

been there done that.

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like you need to find another sport. You've tried everything, take up knitting......

15. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Both of you may be right.

16. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I think Texaszephyr has the right idea about a phone call to Phil Kiner. I'm using the Uni-Dot hooded front bead to prevent the problem but the occasional not consistent crossfire is catching up with me and my symptoms are like you describe with a left handed flinch. I use a release trigger but the first trap field of a new event is killing my score because my 2 eyes are in a turf war each one trying to gain control. If having a tape patch on the off eye and holding a low gun is the "cure" then it seems worse than the "disease". I think the ultimate would be to train myself to squint the off eye at the moment of truth.

17. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

870, I sent you a PM guy. Hap