1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Flinching

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by esoxhunter, Apr 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I have come to a point where I don't know what to do. I am starting to flinch so bad that many times I can't even pull the trigger!! I miss targets by 6 feet!! It is not recoil. It's "between the ears"; that I know. I thought a few months ago that I had somehow alleviated the problem. No matter how hard I try it just gets worse. (Which is probably part of the problem) A fellow shooter recommended that I take some time off from shooting to see if it helps. I've never shot a release trigger; but that would be my last hope. I shot 125 rounds today. I flinched so many times on the 16 yard line, (to include not being able to pull the trigger) that I lost count. (75 rounds) I then shot 2 rounds from the 27 yard line. I shot 44X50 using very light 1 oz. loads and flinched only twice!! These are the same loads I use on the 16 yard line. I'm about ready to give up. Maybe I should take up Polo. Then again I'd have to buy a horse and feed it!! Ed

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

"I've never shot a release trigger; but that would be my last hope."

I think Now is the time! I have been using a Release since 1990. It is way better than quitting.

3. esoxhunter

If I opt for a release trigger; do I just have my trigger assembly in my gun modified or do I have to have a whole new assembly? I have several Model 12's. Would they interchange? I know some of my existing trigger groups in my Model 12's will not interchange. They would have to be modified. Thanks. Ed

4. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

esoxhunter, I've been a flincher for a long time. Went to a release and never looked back.

What you said about flinching from the 16 yard line is probably true. I flinch more shooting 16 yard targets than I ever did shooting handicap.

Go figure.

But more important, go to a release and end your misery. Once you know you have to shoot a release, it really doesn't take to long to cope with it.

The very first time I shot a release, I broke 97 out of 100 with it. That was at least 5 birds better than I had ever did. Never looked back.

Good Luck!

Hauxfan!

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

What did you change when you went from the 16 yd line to the 27 yd line? HMB

6. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I believe we flinch for a variety of reasons...pain...sight picture...gun fit...First, I would recommend you try and find the cause, mine was pain. I am shooting a PFS with 7/8 oz loads and only flinch when I don't see the target correctly. Taking some time off is not a bad idea. But, getting to the root of the problem is most important. Concentrate on what you are doing when you flinch, have a buddy watch you, have your gun fit checked, try a release trigger (it certainly makes you pay attention), try the lighter loads.

Good luck.

JON

7. spritc

spritc Active Member

I really don't mean to be a smart ass, but I'd switch to another gun or put a Gracoil on your model 12. I own several model 12's and they all kick the sh*t out of me. We usually shoot so much we forget how painful some guns can be and we shoot through the pain. Shooting through the pain will eventually catch up to you in the way of a flinch. Most of us really don't realize how bad a gun is kicking unless we have black an blue marks. A heavy jolt will tell your brain to shut your trigger finger down eventually. I switched to a release a little less than a year ago and my scores have gone up dramatically and I don't flinch.

Best of luck with my old, your new, problem,

Steve

8. perazzi03

perazzi03 TS Member

i dont think heavy shells are the problem, i believe your brain ( or your inner computer)is messing up.it happens to lots of people who shoots alot. release trigger is probably the way to go. sort of a rebute to your system

9. Old Man

Old Man TS Member

I agree with chiefjon

"We flinch for a variety of reasons...pain...sight picture...gun fit...First, I would recommend you try and find the cause, ... getting to the root of the problem is most important. Concentrate on what you are doing when you flinch"

For me, two things will cause me to flinch: when I don't see the bird correctly and when I try to squeeze the trigger. I solved my problems by focusing "real hard" at the bird and "slap" the trigger. I was a rifle and handgun shooter for many years before I touched a shotgun. So, this "squeeze" the trigger thing can still mess me up if I'm not careful.

old man (tom)

10. esoxhunter

I have concluded that a release trigger might be my way out. I agree that I may be trying to "squeeze" the trigger instead of "slapping" it. I do know that recoil is not my problem. I flinch as much with my Super X-1 using 17 grains of Red Dot with a 1 ounce load as I do with my Model 12. It is psychological and the harder I try to correct it the worse the problem becomes. Now for the dumb question part as I know nothing about release triggers. Does the gunsmith construct a complete trigger assembly for my gun or does he modify the original trigger thats in the gun? If so what would it cost and who do I go to? I have heard about Allem Gunworks. I send a lot of my Winchsters to Stu Wright. Maybe he could do a release for me?? Just looking for advice. Thanks a lot. Ed

11. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking along the lines of Tom and Jon. I think you're looking for the target too close to the house when you're on the 16 yard line. All you really see is the streak, you panic, and flinch. Whereas on the 27 yard line you're looking for the target further out from the house, you're picking it up after it's resolved itself from a streak to a solid object, and you don't panic, or flinch.

Since you still flinch some at the 27 yard line, there could be a recoil component to it too, but I think most of it is related to visual panic.

Move your 16-yard "eye hold point" out to the area where the target becomes a solid object and see if that helps any.

HTH

12. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

the trigger will "release" you from your affliction.....don't delay, if you don't want to spend the dough on it yet, borrow a gun with a release and shoot a couple rounds with it.....then decide!

13. k3uro

k3uro Member

Hey,

I flinch with all gauges but the 410 is the worst. It is also my worst gun to shoot. Make sense, right. I put more pressure on that gun since I shoot it poorly.

The release allowed me to live with it because I do not flinch with the release.

Take care,

Jim

14. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

esoxhunter, they will modify your present trigger.

Spears from Kansas makes a really great release trigger.

Hauxfan!

15. esoxhunter

Thanks for all the input. Does anyone have the phone number for Spears? Ed

16. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Spears Gun Shop

P.O. Box 67

Abbyville, KS 67510

Tel: 620-200-3220

spearsgun@terraworld.net

Release triggers, pull trigger adjustment. Repair and rebuilding of most sporting shotguns. Release triggers for Browning, Beretta, Remington, Winchester and others. Call for prices.

17. Mac V

Mac V Guest

<blockquote>"Get a .22 rifle.Hang a tin can from a bush.Shoot the can 1000 times from 75 feet.Learn to squeeze and focus......"</blockquote>

...and then go back to a shotgun and try to UNlearn "aiming".

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

A heaver trigger pull could help the flinching a little but a release trigger is most likely what is needed. I personally would not even test fire a gun without a release trigger and a PFS. Am I a sissy?

Pat Ireland

19. jimsw

jimsw Member

Save yourself a lot of time and frustration. Go to a release trigger. As soon as I developed a world class flinch, (couldn't even pull the trigger on the patterning board to check POI), I switched. Aside from the safety issue it is a great way to shoot. You will have to spend some time learning to unload safely when you get a broken target or other interruptions. Stay alert and you will enjoy shooting again.

20. esoxhunter

Well I finally did it. I sent one of my Model 12 trigger groups out to Spears. Talked to Darrell Johnson and he was very helpful. I asked him about doing one of my Super X-1 triggers. He told me he does not work on the Super X-1 triggers. Oh well; I have to see if this works first. Thanks to all for the help and support. Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.