1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FLINCHING!!!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by coffee, May 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coffee

coffee Member

With a pull trigger, can flinching be controlled with either a heavier pull or a lighter pull??

Thanks COFFEE

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Your brain expects a certain weight of pull when it sends the message to your trigger finger. You have to find a weight of pull that your brain likes. A consistant weight of pull is very important. A happy brain is a good thing to have. HMB

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

For some people somethings work sometime. Ultimately, you'll probably be shooting a release trigger or take up another activity!!

4. otnot

otnot Active Member

I have always heard to go to a heavier pull 4-5 pounds. I also think like Devil does that most flinches are from not seeing the target correctly and not having a set mental program that you go through for each shot. If your mind is primed to take the shot there shouldn't be any suprises to make you flinch. I used to flinch really bad and quit shooting for 20 years because of it. And it still happens if I'm not mentally prepared for the shot. Three things have helped me. Have someone load your gun for you or not load your gun and shoot a round. Also Phil Kiners suggestion of calling for the bird with your eyes closed helps also. Set up a mental pre-shot program.

5. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Coffee: I have tried all the "so called" remedies that will cure the dreaded flinch. In my case it was either going to a release or give up shooting. The release made it fun to shoot again. I would at least give it a try. Good Luck! Ed

6. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

I've heard a heavier pull will help a flincher.
    Didn't work for me....in fact, it made it worse.
    :(
    Until I got accustomed to the new weight.

7. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

coffee, keep using a pull trigger and you'll keep getting beat.

8. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Eleven years ago I faced the same dilemma. I spoke to Frenchy Frigon about buying a release for my 90-T. After about 2 hrs. he convinced me that as an experienced shooter my mind knew when I was not on target and wouldn't allow me to pull the trigger. He said slow down a little and be sure you're on target. It worked for 11 years, but I just bought a release. Unfortunately, oleolliedawg is probably right...get the release and be a happy shooter.

Buz

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Competition rifle and pistol shooters use guns that have very good triggers. It is rare to find one of these fellows that flinch. The problem must be related to the trigger. HMB

10. Straight99

Straight99 Member

Sometime a flinch can be gun fit. I tried a release and it worked for about a year and then the flinch came back. Had a stock fit for me and went back to the pull trigger. Now the flinch is gone.

11. k3uro

k3uro Member

Hey There,

A friend of mine that shot a Bow explained the flinch to me. They they call it target hesitation and so he told me most shoot a release trigger. Golfers do it, I think they refer to it as the Yipes(?). Mayo clinic is doing a study about Golfers :eek:). (really).

My flinch has not followed me to the hunting field. It seems to me that that big issue is the fear of missing the target. All the other things you can do does not take out the fear. Fear can be a real fearful ordeal :eek:).

The Release has not meant I shoot a lot of hundred straights. I still miss more than I would like but it is not because I finched on the target. The other soulutions for the most part cost less money, but try an 1100 with a borrowed Release for a few months. I did and I have never looked back.

Anyway just my humble 2 cents.

Take care,

Jim

12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I can pull any trigger successfully without flinching. Simply put a shell in a gun, call for a target, and the game changes. How can that possibly be related to trigger pull quality!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.