1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Flinching?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by fomocosho, Jun 2, 2013.

1. fomocosho

fomocosho TS Member

So I was at Scheels today looking at a 682 gold E and one of the salesmen gave me a couple of tokens so my son could use the shooting simulator. (they really wanted to sell that gun I guess) Well the boy gave up halfway thru the game so I had to finish. The first time I pulled the trigger on that little plastic gun I must have lunged about a foot forward and closed my eyes like I was shooting a cannon! I had to look around to make sure no one saw me look like a fool. I had to make an effort to keep myself from doing it for the rest of the game.

My trap scores have fallen off this year for no apparent reason, I had my eyes checked two weeks ago and all was fine. Could this flinch be the cause? I posted a WTB for a release trigger a couple of weeks ago thinking that might help but couldnt see spending the money for one if I wasnt sure it would help.

I need some advice on what to do next. Would a release help in my situation? I did some searching on here and found that there are numerous causes for flinching, it seems mine is anticipation of recoil even when I know there will be none.

Thanks
    Dave Serrahn

2. Lou Tenant

Lou Tenant Active Member

Get a snap cap and do some dry firing at the range on birds. This happened to me when I bought Jordan's wall chart. After several lifts mine went away. Its more common than you think. I hope this works for you .

3. fomocosho

fomocosho TS Member

I just got Terry's wall chart and will get it set up tomorrow and see what happens.

Thanks

4. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

I just got a wall chart. The first thing I noticed while dry firing. A weird little move while pulling trigger. After a few times using the problem went away and swing has become more fluid. I was kinda snapping the gun at the target while pulling the trigger.

5. targetchip

targetchip Banned User Banned

If you flinch on live fire send a video clip to "Qwickrespose" and you will know the cause of your flinching. Rushing to get a release is not the answer.

Terry's wall chart is a good tool to visualize and dry practice, but if the problem persist you need to know the cause in order to eliminate the effect which is the flinching!

6. alf174

alf174 Member

And if you can't fix it, shooting a release is very common in trap.

7. targetchip

In early stages, correcting the cause and doing proper drills can cure any flinching.!!!
    There are more than 40 causes for flinching and the same nr. of corrections at least.
    Indeed release trigger is very common in trap shooting but for other reasons than flinching also.

Knowing the cause is the most important thing.

The release should be the last resort and not the first one for it!

8. alf174

alf174 Member

Regardless of the cause, the thought "Am I going to finch this time?" easily popped up in my head as I was getting ready to call for the target. I no longer have that thought because I didn't fight switching to a release. It feels very natural. As does a pull when shooting at stationary targets.

9. targetchip

Indeed if you don't know the cause of your flinching, is what you say: "am I going to flinch this time?" but if you know the cause then you can cure it in a natural way.
    In a sever flinching( build up over a long period if time)and is more than 10/100 the release may be the answer.
    New and young shooters, having a mild flinching, should resolve it ASAP.

Why, b/c if they want to take the challenge at a higher level( Olympics) then they should resolve the issue.
    Going hunting is a other reason to solve flinching without release trigger!

10. alf174

alf174 Member

Mr Erdoss, how come you don't shoot ATA, NSSA, or NSCA? And no other record of your shooting achievements other than what is on your website? Just curious.

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The main cause of flinching is related to the trigger in your shotgun. Compared to the trigger in a target rifle the trigger in your shotgun is a piece of crap.

A good target rifle has a fully adjustable trigger. Three little adjustment screws for weight of pull, sear engagement(creep), and over travel. Most shotguns have nothing you can adjust. HMB

12. targetchip

alf,

Before I emigrated to USA I shot Olympic skeet, trap and sporting clays at a competitive level.
    Emigrating legally to America and starting a new life, my first concern was to do something for living, having my family with me. I did things that I never did before, being an EPA inspector and part time coach in Romania.In US I was roofer, plumber,janitor,printer you name it, and parallel with those jobs I coached in order to build up my credential.
    Long story short I ended up in Atlanta Ga where i get in touch with Mr Gary Anderson, the manager of the Atlanta Olympic venue,with the intention to star a junior program! Despite the fact that I had very good recommendations from former students, I had to prove my expertise, so I coached Casey West,a young lady from Alabama,Olympic skeet
    At the 1998 Nationals, after 5 months of training with me, Casey beats the 1997 National champion, not other than Sharry Lagate and is selected in the US National team.
    After this, Mr Andreson, help me to build up a Junior team for Olympic bunker and skeet, by giving us clay targets at low cost.
    I got a sopnsor who gave us shells like 15,000 so I start selecting exceptional
    talents for the USA National team.
    From my program emerged: Colyn loper, 2004 Olympian beside other competitive shooters. Vincent Hancock learn about the Olympic skeet being in my program.
    Not very long time after, Fulton Country closed the Olympic shooting range.
    After that I invented the maze clays and I ran it successfully 6/7 day a week
    As you may noticed I did not had the time and the resources to start a shooting career and do it seriously. Beside that my son was in college and that drained some funds from my pocket. Now, he is a computer engineer so I am " accomplished" on the parental field
    I shot recreational but never registered.
    Having the chance to teach and coach in US gave me a huge opportunity to perfect my expertise.

Like a side aspect, when I came to US my only words were, " yes" "thank you"
    " how are you" and I still struggle as you may notice.
    I wish to shoot more but sometime the priorities are stronger than the desires.

13. alf174

alf174 Member

My main cause was the space between my ears. And Jim's right, a release is very easy and I'm glad I didn't fight the flinch too long.

14. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: how come you don't shoot ATA, NSSA, or NSCA?

I'll vouch for him if your concerned about his credentials....

15. targetchip

A good shooter should be judged after his medals collection, a good coach after his champions collection!

Many are paying for medals not for instructional achievements!

16. alf174

alf174 Member

Thanks Joe, there's been more than one snake oil salesmen on this site.

Mr. Erdoss, in the ATA community, the highest training recognitions go to the successful "big dogs" that have a sideline teaching. They practice it, they shoot it with high results, and they give back in the way of shooting seminars. And they don't discriminate against pull or release shooters. You may have a uphill battle here if you don't get involved at the shooter level. Good luck in your endeavors.

17. alf174

alf174 Member

Well, it turned into me challenging Mr Erdoss's credentials and claim that he has the fix for flinching. Sorry about the hijacking.

18. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Showing concern that shooting release negates the possibility that less than .01% of current target shooters may not qualify for the olympics and professing to be a successful instructor is not one I'd pay for lessons!!

19. targetchip

Please don't misunderstand me! I respect your opinion and I am not here to change the way!
    Indeed,"the big dogs" are entitle to take over the teaching process and if is possible, to make a living form it as a pay back for the time and money they spend in the shooting range. Some have more or less talent to teach which is different than shooting.
    Regarding the release trigger,in my opinion is the best invention to keep "lost"
    people( with bad flinching) in the game!
    My offer is an alternative to release without to disregard those who use it!
    My thinking is that if you are in the early stages of flinching, by knowing the causes the problem can be cured.
    Many flinches occur b/c of bad gun fit, bad technique and other reasons that can effect also your fundamentals,your consistency and your scores.

What I mean is that by a getting a release will attenuate in fact your flinching, but will not solve the problems( bad fitting, bad technique) that cause the flinching.!!
    My approach is a little bit different and I believe that flinching can be cured without a release trigger!

If you choose to get a release is fine, if you want to work out the problem
    then get in touch with me!
    My respect is the same for anyone who has a shotgun in his hands!

20. targetchip

We have to accept that are people who flinch and people who don't!

Flinching occurs not B/c someone have blue eyes and the other has brown eyes.

Those who are flinching are doing something wrong compared to the other ones who don't!

Jim, there are several reasons (more than 40) for flinching that can also effect your performances!

Lets see, you get fever and you take aspirin to fight it! The fever goes down but the cause still there. In other words you stay on aspirin for the rest of your life instead to get rid of the viruses!

Regarding this:"What difference does it make what kind of trigger you use?" I can tell you that 97% of shotgun shooters use pull trigger.
    The only reason to use a release is to fight flinching, otherwise everybody
    should switch to release but they don't!

Search tags for this page

computer mouse flinch

flinch for computer

flinching while trap shooting

how do i stop flinching when shooting a shotgun