1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

flinching

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by woodcarver, Feb 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woodcarver

woodcarver Member

So I just started flinching bad or jerking what ever it is called and am looking for the part to convert my KX5 from a pull to a release,any help would be appreciated,Mike

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

release triggers are not for everyone and do not solve all the odd motion problems that a shooter develops. My flinch was a crossfire created by watching too intently the target emerging from the house. Caught it first with my left eye and did the dreaded forend jerk when my right/dominant/bbl eye took over.

I suggest you figure out what the jerk is all about prior to going to a release

3. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Do you know the cause of your flinching? I would only go to a release trigger as a last result. Believe it or not I've seen people flinch with a release trigger. Better to minimize the cause of it. BT100dc

4. woodcarver

woodcarver Member

I appreciate the advise,it kinda goes along with what I was thinking in the back of my mind,I have no trouble pulling the trigger,I have seen a lot of guys almost take a step forward trying to pull it,I am trying to be a more deliberate shooter,I have always shot pretty fast and sometimes I think it is my mind telling me it is time to shoot and my eyes telling me it's not,I know that sounds dumb but I really think that sometimes,I only want to go to a release as a last resort.

5. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

Well, you can try the above mentioned stuff. But when you do that for 6 months and you begin concentrating on when you will flinch during a round rather than shooting the birds, and just that costs you a couple birds a round then go to a release. Or you can shortcut it. If I had it to do over again I would shortcut it. Allems release or Krieghoff will do the job well.

The only thing I will add due to the way it was written, is if you are doing some kind of weird movement on the call rather than on pulling the trigger then I wouldn't call that a flinch (others may disagree).

6. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Listen to Tailbuster!!

7. deadendout

deadendout TS Member

I picked up a flinch and tried to use a release trigger with no help. I would just kind of jerk the gun and my hand would not release it. Then I would have a cocked release trigger, I would get confused and the gun would seemingly go off accidentally. i am lucky I didn't have to get out the gallon of green paint and do the walk of shame.My flinch was a sight picture problem. My brain didn't think it was right to shoot at a bad sight picture so my hand did a no go.I got rid of mine by making my routine a true ritual. It was the part of my ritual where I glued my cheek to the stock that fixed it. I was picking up my head causing the wrong sight picture.

8. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

Read Lanny Basshom's book and watch Phil Kinner's video before you move to the release trigger.

The subconscious should be allowed to govern the shooting; the eyes and other senses are only there to intake data and supply it to the subconscious. Do not think or measure the shot; let the subconscious do its job. It is never wrong.

Phil is equally valid in identifying the problem as not focusing on the target. When the eyes are not locked on the target it sends false info to the subconscience. This causes indecision and results in what I call the conductor's move--you wave your barrel around like the orchestra conductor's baton.

Note: I am not proposing a solution; rather, I am sharing the findings of two very fine shooters and as well as respected coaches.

Hope this helps,

Doc

9. scdoug

scdoug Member

Save your money and spend it on something else ... I have the same issues ... went to a release on shooters recommendations ... did not help in the least ... also release triggers have their problems ... shooters will say they best thing since sliced bread ... they are like hanging on to a mouse trap ... don't waste your time and money

10. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

When I was young I shot superposed---mdl 12---and some SxSs----Never remember a flinch----Gave up shooting to raise my family for 20 yrs---Came back with some of my old hardware and started to note a flinch---Was nxt to a friend that had the same gun as I ---682 gold e beretta with a release---He asked me to try his release---I did and shot a 24 the 1st time----Went to Allem the nxt week and got a release and never regretted to this day---Somewhere I heard that it takes several more mussels to pull a trigger than a release----If you can't figure out why you flinch than I'd recommend the release---I was nxt to a big-dog one day and I know he uses a release and somehow the release came up and he said,what's nxt after the release----So go with caution.---I play a-lot of golf---If you think a flinch is bad, try fighting the putting yips----That's why they use the long putter---They are talking about outlawing them---Hope they don't outlaw the release----1/2 the shooters will be trying golf----Just saying.

George@SJB

11. ben there

ben there Member

A flich when you cant pull the trigger can be helped with a release

jercking the gun with the forehand is a sighting problem release wont help

40 years using a release has taught me that

12. targetchip

targetchip Banned User Banned

woodcarver, the release is a last resort for chronic flinching.

If your flinch just started, look for any changes by analyzing each step of your shooting.

The flinch is caused by something you are not aware of ,so ask for help.

If not, go step by step over the fundamentals and notice what do not feel right for you.

Always is a cause for flinching,and once you know about it you can eliminate it totally.

Don't let the flinching to become chronic!!

13. Ponytail in WI

Ponytail in WI TS Member

Woodcarver, I developed a flich after about 4 years of shooting. I would flinch anywhere from 3 to 5 times every 100 rounds. It was God awful to not be able to pull the trigger. My buddies shaking their heads waiting and sometimes even missing after, I would shoot the target 3 feet from the ground. I was at Great Lakes Grand a few years ago and shot behind a guy who ran a 200. I missed 7 and flinched on them all. Thank God I was behind the guy who ran 200, instead of in front of him.

I was so upset, I went and had a double release put in my Kreighoff. I went out practised for about a week or so. I went to my first competition after the release and I ran my first 100. Turnaround that same day and shot a 94 in the doubles, when I had an doubles average around 79. Later that summer ran my second 100 and a 97 in the doubles. Moved back in the hcp from 22 to 24 1/2.

Woodcarver, I've shot thousands of targets since and have NEVER fliched again! Not even once... Maybe a release may not be for everyone but I would surely look into one or your going to very frustrated with your shooting and more than likely your flinch will only get worse!!

Rick

14. woodcarver

woodcarver Member

I appreciate the advice and tips guys. It has shead a little light on my problem and I think I can get through this without a release. Although I would still like to find the hook to make a release out of it, just in case I do need it. But my yardage has increased,I have been experimenting with heavier back up loads and adjusting the gun a lot. So after listening to some great advice, I think I need to go back to square one and rethink this problem. Because like I said I never have a problem pulling the trigger, it is more like a left hand jerk. Also I went up and watched my grandaughter shoot league last night and shot a 25 bird practice for fun with her, using a different gun even and never jerked once, but this was for fun. So it tells me the problem may not be a flinch after all. I do think that I will try to find an anxiety management book to study. Again thanks for all the great feedback and advice, and remember keep your powder dry, Mike

15. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

I too get a flinch thru my left arm, resulting in my pulling down and shooting low and left. I now use release triggers, and while they help, I still occasionally drop one due to this flinch. Don't really have the answer, but anxiety and lack of concentration/focus on the rock seem to be a part of it.
    dju

16. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I went through the dreaded flinch problem. After spending a ton of $$ by having trigger work done, changing my shooting technique, going to lighter loads, etc.; I ended up with having the release installed. It made shooting fun again. I would never revert back to a pull trigger and face the problems that I had before I tried a release. A fellow shooter, (who is a very good shooter), watched me shoot prior to going to a release. He told me that I needed to go to a release. I told him that if I had to go to a release I would quit shooting. His reply was: "Then quit". I'm sure glad I listened to him. Good luck. Ed

17. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I love the release----Only time I flinch now is when I'm quail hunting with my 20 ga superposed with a pull trigger---Gives the quail a chance---George@SJB

18. Ponytail in WI

Ponytail in WI TS Member

Woodcarver, I was in denial for years, target suprised me, my barrell blocked out the target, I was looking in the wrong direction, my eyes weren't set. The truth is its not going to get better. Stop thinking and point the gun. I would suggest making lighter/faster loads..not heavier loads. Flinching, many times is from heavier loads. I hope this is not a flinch, but when you start taking yoursself out of the money you will know. When that happens, get a release and you will be soooooo happy to shoot again and win!

Rick

19. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

Woodcarver : I think you are flinching because you are not focusing on the bird, hence you are not seeing bird. When your brain is not sure if you are focused and seeing the bird it is a computer malfunction between the ears. Half your brain is telling you to pull the trigger and the other half is screaming "I can't pull the trigger because I am not on it".

Learn to focus and actually see the bird and you will get out of flinching. Their is a big difference between seeing bird and actually being "focused" on it. Kay calls it "Locked on" the bird. I bet if you think about it you never flinch when you are totally focused and know where the bird is.

Been their done that.

CM

20. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Yeah, and Kay shoots double release. So much for the lock-on theory!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.