1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FLINCHING WITH RELEASE HELP

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by topdog, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. topdog

topdog Member

0   0   0

WOW i have been shooting trap for a 2.5 years now about 1.5 years into it i started flinching so afetr trying every thing else i went to a release on my single and o/u i had double release. I have not had one single flinch since i went to the release but for some reason today i flinched about 3 times OMG i am on suicide watch is that the end of my trap carrer?? FLINCH with a release ?? has this occured to anyone else?? Thanx Pete

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

0   0   0

No you're the only one that has ever happened to. Sell all your guns and take up cake baking. ;-))

Eric

3. topdog

topdog Member

0   0   0

Eric i am ready to not sleep tonite man just when i had it down packed (i thought) BTW thanx for the kind suggestion FOR SALE OR TRADE PERAZZI COMBO TRADE FOR COMPLETE CAKE BAKING KIT lol...pete

4. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Ever try "Shooting related threads"???

5. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

0   0   0

Have you checked yourself for cross dominate eyes?

6. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

right on GYRO...

also...

What kind of recoil reduction system are you using? Don't leave home without it.

7. ps8182

ps8182 TS Member

0   0   0

Before you freak out I would check to see if something has changed with the trigger. Put it on a scale and make sure the set and release points are normal. i'm not sure what the make of your gun/trigger is, but it may be a simple as a week hammer spring or a hook that is hanging and is need of grease or honing. A release that gets to light say down to a 1-1/2 lbs. or less on the release point can make you flinch.

8. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

0   0   0

I find that it happens when I read the trap - successfully. Not always but enough times to be able to make that connection. Now I look away when the 2 shooters before me shoot. That way I am not tempted to try to read the trap and I don't flinch.

9. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I agree you should check to see if anything has changed with your release,on mine the trigger is adjustable for length of pull and after many rounds fired it slowly moved to the rear most position and seemed like I had a hard time letting go of it.I noticed it had moved and moved it back so I was holding it with the end of my finger again instead of in the joint and problem went away.Jerry

10. 870

870 Well-Known Member

0   0   0

It's killing me too, and another guy I know. In my case I know it is the trigger. I've had to switch guns because I keep flinching with the 870. I don't know if the trigger slowed or I just couldn't handle the longer lock time of an 870 anymore. Still hoping I can resolve it and get back to the 870, but I made it through this year with only one flinch using my backup.

I guess I need a roller-release or a precision release for an 870!

11. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Just be smarter than the trigger....

12. jaeger18

jaeger18 Member

Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0

+1 on the cross eye dominance issue. I thought I was going to have to go to a release. A barrel blinder and some hold adjustments solved the problem. Phil Kiners video shows this really well.

13. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

0   0   0

JUST MAN UP...FLINCHING IS FOR LITTLE GIRLS. Seriously...my flinching was bad until I got a gun that truly fit me. I have abnormally long arms and wide shoulders for my height and went to a longer length of pull. Problem solved. I was flinching at least once on every round. Now...never. Bill Wheeler

14. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

0   0   0

light loads and heavy triggers - key to most flinching issues

15. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

0   0   0

A lot of flinches are a visual thing, caused be holding the gun too high or wrong hold point and not seeing the bird clearly. Take a class with one of the pros and get some real help, don't listen to the normal "trap club know it all"..My 2$ worth. Joe

16. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

0   0   0

I'm with Joe. In my experience (and I shoot a double release) most flinches are visually related. You're probably not getting a good visual read on the target, and your brain is reacting to that, thus the flinch.

17. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

0   0   0

You will get a hundred different reasons that this happens but it is every individuals problem .I have had a release for the last 15+ years and for me it`s a death hold grip of the forearm and pistol grip . Once I loosen up I`m dead meat with a flinch . Concentrate on one thing , seeing and breaking that target and forget about everything around you or what you have to do tomorrow . Think about going straight and for sure you will miss the next one . Happens every day but me is a light grip -- flinch -- finished . Others seem to do whats best for them ?? Light hold ?? One more thing about a tight grip for me is I have a better control on moving the gun whereas others I told this say they have less control so everyone is different ?? Today in 2 rounds was a 22 first round , no control of thoughts or grip and second was all tight grip with a positive thought and a 25 so that works for me . When I miss it`s usually a light grip - can`t say that enough as it`s what works !!!

18. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

The most common reasons for a release flinch are #1-too slow a release, #2-cross dominance issues. If you're right handed and flinching on left angles you're among many. Those flinches tend to be visual in nature and if not very often are best to ignore. They tend to come and go-same for right angle flinches for lefties. Better to flinch once or twice with a release periodically than be unable to pull a trigger at all.

Then forget all the information you hear about cures for flinching. All are usually temporary and most true flinchers end up shooting release or knitting quilts on shoot weekends eventually!!

19. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

0   0   0

Ollie , since you brought this up and I had just stated my flinches , I must say I as a right handed shooter flinch most on right targets shooting a factory Ljutic release . Can`t say I ever flinched on a left targets . All shooters are different with their problems . It would be nice to say this problem can be fixed using 1 method ??

20. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

You're different but show indications of having too fast a release trigger. If you're having difficulty catching up to rights and the gun is going off prematurely and you started a death grip on the trigger to prevent it you'll also flinch. Your issue indicates a possible mechanical problem with the trigger.

Since you feel it may be a grip issue I'd look into some grip enhancement spray. It's used by tennis players, comes off with alcohol and really improves your grip!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.