1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Flinching with a release trigger

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Grevin, Dec 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grevin

Grevin TS Member

I have a friend that went to a release trigger because of flinching. He is now having a flinching problem with his release trigger. Is this known to happen with any frequency and are there any approaches to the problem that have been successful? Thanks in advance.

2. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

I was told you will not flinch with a release trigger but that is wrong. Good luck.

3. nomoloscofoso

nomoloscofoso Member

Frank Little did say IF YA CAN'T PULL IT OR RELEASE IT take up fishin!

4. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

He should get his eyes checked

5. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I flinch occasionally with a release, but nowhere near as frequently as I did before. A lot of people will offer advice ( low recoil shells, etc.) but for some people, a flinch will occur and nothing can cure it. Here's another suggestion:

Learn to live with it, and rely on the "allowable failure to fire" rule. It was put there for a reason. Don't be pressured into trying to shoot after you've just flinched. Accept that it occurred, don't be embarrassed, put the gun down, and inform the scorer. Chances are you won't exceed your "two allowable FTF per sub-event" limitation.

I did this myself for a while before I switched to a release.

6. 870

870 Well-Known Member

I have the same problem. My suggestion is to see about getting the trigger checked out. I find that with a slow release I'll flinch quite a bit. Better (quicker) trigger cured this for a few years but its been coming back to haunt me again this past year.

Can really ruin the game for ya. Oh well.

7. wayno

wayno TS Member

sorry to say this, but it is the truth. if he is flinching with a release, any plans he has for shooting high level competition are over. you can't afford to lose even a single bird to a malady of that sort and win.

i would either shoot club trap, for fun (and it is) or accept the limitation and compete on the level that the problem lets you.

8. trapshootertoo

trapshootertoo Member

Not all release triggers are alike. If a release is too slow, I will flinch at times also. I need the hammer to fall when I relax my grip. If I have to deliberately move my trigger finger forward, the release is too slow. A friend who has shot release for years, began having trouble flinching because his trigger assembly was dirty. After a good cleaning, problem solved!

9. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Try doubling up on ear protection, muffs and plugs. Some have what I call a sound flinch. All I know I recommended it two several and it worked for half.

A sporting clays shooter was flinching all over the place at a shoot I was attending. Said he had never done that before. Asked if he had changed anything recently and he had just switched from plugs to muffs. He put back in his plugs and immediately his flinch went away.

Will not work for everyone, but what the heck....

10. trapshootertoo

trapshootertoo Member

Grevin, Please tell your friend to never except someone advise to accept it or learn to live with it. There can be several reasons for flinching. A slow release could be one, trying to be too deliberate,(rifle sighting) could be another. Timing is everything! Better concentration on the target not on the bead can also help. I'm not a pro or a certified instructor but I've been shooting release 40+ years and only trying to help by sharing things I've learned. Paul

11. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

This may or may not work for you. My girlfriend and I attended a Phil Kiner clinic, she to improve hers scores and me seek help with my world class flinch.
    I was flinching like a spring with both pull and release triggers. After watching me shoot, Phil said you're not holding onto your gun, sure I am, no your not. The first order of business is to make the gun one with you so its like a turret on a tank. When you have a firm grip on your gun it takes your arms out of the equation which is cause for flinching while forcing your lower body into the game which in turn creates a fluid move to the target.

Phil stuck his hand out and give me a handshake and squeezed my hand very,very firmly. Now bend the end of your fingers so you can interlock them with mine, now pull against me, harder, harder, that's good, this is how firmly you should be holding onto your gun every time you mount it. I said crap Phil that's a death grip, it may be now but it will become part of your shooting routine with practice. He's right, at least for me, if I grab hold tightly and crank the gun into my shoulder the flinch disappears, if I get lazy and loosen my hold bad things start to happen.

It took a while to get past sore muscles from holding onto and pulling in my gun a tightly, a small price to pay to cure my proble Looking back when I was younger I always grabbed hold and cranked it in without any thought.

Try it, it may be the help you're looking for, you may also give Phil a call, he's very open to helping fellow shooters.

Surfer

12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Surfer, if it worked for everyone Phil wouldn't be shooting release!!

13. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Have known a few that setting the trigger prior to mounting resolved issue. Not advocating or justifying the practice, just saying.

Quite possibly other issues existed that a release won't resolve. Periodic cross firing is one that will send the brain into a frenzy. Focus. Hold point on house. Poor gun fit/handling.

14. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Andy,
    Didn't say it worked for everyone even Phil, but it seems to worke for me while taking quite a bit of felt recoils out if the equation. Phil named several top shooters who use the tight hold turret method, he being one. You're still a kid, when get here, you'll try anything...............

Hows that weather holding for you? Here surf's 5 to 6 feet, water 60 and a chilly 62 air temp, still in shorts and still paradise.

Hope you and yours had a great holiday

Surfer

15. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Kiner has both things correct. A loose hand will slow the release point and look like a flinch. But I am with Pheasantmaster... Sounds like a crossfire to me. That will cause a flinch-like hesitation every time.

16. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Get his eyes checked. Could be a visual flinch. Not seeing the target properly. Or as MIA said ...crossfire flinch. Get a crossfire eliminator from Meadows Industries. $20 bucks....a pretty cheap fix if it's a crossfire issue.

Good luck.

17. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

I can agree with Daddio on this one.

Up until last year I was still flinching with my release. Not as often, but often enough...

MY cure was NOT to hold a high gun...I used to hold high gun but I went back down to the house to get better target recognition, feeling that I wasn't seeing the target right out of the house, and sure enough the flinch went away...

Convinced on my end....SEE the target !!!

18. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

Good advise from all,I find that when I flinch with a release it also is visual,almost like you are surprised when you see the target,for me concentrating on seeing the target solves it.Jerry

19. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Do people go to a release prematurely?.......Are the things that make you flinch using a pull trigger the same as those that make you flinch with a release?

I flinch but infrequently. Not enough to convert, in my opinion. My schooling is in human behavior and behavior modification. I wonder if sound modification techniques, used diligently, would be helpful in dealing with a true flinch?

20. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

surfer, I'm beginning to hate you and your weather. It's 27, windy, snow flurries and damn ugly out. Of course, my insane wife believes she may have to wear long pants to shoot this weekend.

She must remove her wedding rings when shooting as she's already worn a groove in her K-80 forend checkering. She has a very tight grip.

Have a great new year and promise to wipe out less-junior!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.