1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Flinching while setting a release trigger

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by runem100, Apr 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. runem100

runem100 TS Member

Has anyone ever flinched while setting a release trigger? If yes, what did you do to overcome it? I've read a lot of articles recently about flinching and "hypnosis" keeps coming up....any thoughts on this?

2. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Cant you get a release for the release that would eliminate the flinch when setting the release?

I thought the hole purpose of them release triggers was to compensate for flinches for those who do not want to cure them.

3. lancelot

lancelot Member

You might try setting it before you get it mounted to your shoulder, i.e. when you are in the process of raising it to your shoulder.

If that doesn't do it you might have to set it before you close the gun.

Al Ljutic uses and teaches the first method. The second was used by one of our state hall of fame members.

Ron Ireland

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Does it appear to you guys that trap shooters are afflicted with this trigger problem more so than other shooting sports? If so, I wonder why that may be? I have my own theory about the whys and wondered what you guys may think.

First, most shotgun pull triggers are more suited to hunting guns with a harder to pull trigger for safety concerns. Due to the number of targets in each event, it's tough to mentally "want" each target with the necessary intensity to really be prepared for each shot. Most of our best shots say trap shooting is a game of inches, not feet! If a shooter is "lulled to sleep" by the numbers of monotonous moves/actions, mistakes are bound to creep in. Couldn't that also carry over to switching to a release trigger?

I ask these questions since I shoot both a good pull trigger and a release trigger on my guns for trap. Bad triggers, whether pull or release, will cause the shooter to have more problems than he needs. Those problems coupled with the "lull" factor may be one of the real culprits. Whatcha think? Hap

5. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

MIA - if your having that many problems maybe you might want to consider crotchet or possible knitting?

6. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

MIA - if your having that many problems maybe you might want to consider crotchet or possible knitting?

7. eew

eew Member

Years ago my release trigger had become so lite that it would occasionally pull through and go off when I set it....very nerve racking. It got to where it would take me 10 seconds to atttempt to set the trigger I was so scared. One day I had the gun go off 10 times in the hundred while setting it. The funny thing was I broke a 99 from the 27 yard line. Once I got the trigger set, calling for and shooting the bird was a piece of cake.

Non the less, after I had the trigger fixed, I was still scared to set the trigger, so I also started setting the trigger before I close the gun. I have now been doing this for 14 years.

Ed W.

8. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Try setting the trigger before you close the gun.

Also just be smarter than the trigger...

9. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

I thinks I need a release mouse ...

10. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I cannot shoot a release, I flinch trying to let it off

11. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I had an experience similar to Ed W, I mean the part about having the trigger go off too soon Not the part about breaking a 99 from the 27. I became absolutely terrified of my trigger and for some time after getting it repaired until I got my self confidence back. Make sure the trigger is tuned to a safe SET and safe RELEASE.

12. mulls427

mulls427 Member

I caught this affliction myself:( I think from buying and changing guns too often looking for the "one" lol. Too many different types of release triggers.
    I now also find the best way is to set when the gun is open and go from there.
    I don't know but maybe hipnosis an option :))
    Mike M.

13. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

If flinching was related to recoil I doubt I'd have problems pulling the trigger with a Rem 572 shooting .22cal shotshells while hunting cabbage butterflies for practice.

Actually, the problem of being unable to set a release is quite common. This problem may occur even for some shooters while setting the trigger with gun open. It often can be minimized by going to a trap range alone and practicing your set with a unloaded gun and progressing slowly toward a loaded one. This exercise may have to be repeated periodically-kinda like preventive maintainance. We even jokingly said to one of our fellow very good shooters with this problem to set the trigger at home before coming to the shoot.

Surprisingly, as mentioned by a previous poster, the pump action gun is a very good cure for this issue. Simply put in a shell, set the trigger, and close the action.

Ray Stafford has had similar problems so even he is not immune!!

14. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

24str8, how is skeet more instinctive that trap??

15. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

I would suggest using a snap cap on the line while a friend shoots a practice round. Go through your preshot routine and then track each target. You will find that the target exploding from being hit by your friend will cue you to release the trigger. This is an excellant drill for any shooter in that you will be amazed at how much easier it is to develop a smooth swing to the target and see the target at the time of firing without having the interference of noise, recoil and smoke.

Because it is a snap cap, it may alleviate some of the anxiety of setting the trigger as well.

16. mahrbeezer

mahrbeezer TS Member

Guns going off, set the trigger before you close the gun!!!! WTF!!! Do you think that this is safe??? Ive been around a gun going off on the line. It happens, dont make a habit out of it. To the gentleman that let off ten rounds in 100 birds. I wouldnt be proud of that and if i were shooting with you i would have had management ask you to step off the line or refund my money. I understand the flinch thing but i dont want to be shot while you try to cure your problem.

17. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

A lot of trap guns have terrible triggers. They have creep, are too heavy, and usually are non adjustable. Why do trap shooters put up with this? Spend thousands of dollars and get a trigger that is crap. HMB

18. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

If you flinch with a release, you are in big fargen trouble.

Tron

19. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Release triggers should be outlawed, they are just an easy way to try and purchase a score when you have a problem you decide you dont want to fix.

20. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Newbuis, You are about as full of it as as a Christmas goose.

You have no clue of what you are talking about.

Hauxfan!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.