1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Flinching / Release shooters give up your thoughts

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Claymuncher, Nov 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

Amended : We need input from release shooters!

-------------------

Hello flinchers, (All of us), I would like to share with you a practice drill that got rid of my flinch. It takes just you by yourself and a practice round. It is quite simple really. Mount your gun typically with your gun in its usual spot above the house and just before you call for the bird close your eyes and shoot at an imaginary bird. The thought to concentrate on is "Smooth". I swear if you will do this for an entire round and concentrate on the word smooth it will get you out of it. It did me totally or at least as much as possible. It breaks up the routine of the "See Bird and shoot equals pain". I think we forget what it feels like to shoot without a flinch and this kind of gets you back on the road. Remember the word smooth as that is very important to the exercise and relaxing is important also. It is worth the try and the cost of the round. Good luck

Any other drills you have heard of?

CM

2. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Clinic teacher told me flinching is caused by having a trigger that is too light. You don't know when the gun is going to go off and the uncertainty causes you to flinch. He said 3.5 to 4.25 pounds is right. He started flinching when the spring in his gun went weak to the point at which he couldn't fire the gun anymore. Then he switched guns and went to a release to deal with the damage.

I went out and bought a trigger pull gauge. My trigger was 2.25 pounds and yes, I've seen the first stages of flinching over this last summer. Already have a different trigger in my gun.

Thanks for the exercise.

Joe

3. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

If you want to go a step further, load a box with half used primers, mix them up and shoot a round. If someone thinks they are not flinching this will show that they are which might improve their shooting in the long run by letting them know they have a flinch to fix. Most of us probably do not know how bad we are flinching or do not want or care to admit it. By all means if you are shooting as good as you think you can do not mess with it, But if you know you have a flinch you have to work at it to see it leave.

CM

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Before you can fix a flinch you have to identify the cause. Is it recoil related? Is it caused by your guns trigger? Or a combnation of both? HMB

5. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I imagine you shot a 25. LOL. Another thing you can do it grip the forend a little tighter. It makes a difference. Think about doing that right before you call for the bird, then think concentrate and follow though, then PULL! Jon

6. reddbudd

reddbudd Well-Known Member

I think there are different reasons for flinching for different shooters.
    Mine seemed to be caused by part of my brain saying it was time to shoot and another part saying it wasn't. I have always had the same problem shooting rifles from a bench rest. I would try to be too precise when I would see the crosshairs waver on the bullseye. When hunting I would put the crosshairs on thechest of a deer and pull the trigger so smoothly that sometimes I was almost
    surprised when the gun went off.
    I think that is why I don't flinch near as often on the rare occasions when I shoot sporting clays. I only flinch on long crossing shots where I have too much time to think about the shot.
    Bud Edwards

7. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

But the main point being, work at it! You can take it down to a managable level. Another one is the old tried and true of staying into your gun after you shoot your bird and follow a piece to the ground. After a flinch the next thing you do is throw the gun off your shoulder, so this old drill is kind of like reverse engineering. Learning to stay into your gun goes along way toward fixing flinch.

Edwards is right, 100% between the ears whatever the cause.

CM

8. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

jktphd : That is another good one that I have personal experience with. I always called it my computer malfunction. If I was not good and focused on the target my brain would give the rest of my body a not sure signal, which caused a major malfunction in everything on down the line. Proof of this is how nice and easy they are to break when you are in a focus zone. Get out of the zone and everything goes to crap. The good part is you can fix it on fly with your next bird.

CM

9. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

It really all comes down to concentration!

10. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

You certainly should try all of the above methods while waiting for your release trigger.

11. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

dickgtax nails this one perfectly!!

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Is it true that shooting with a release trigger causes brain damage? HMB

13. 410 JIM

410 JIM TS Member

Some treatments for flinching include: low recoil 1 oz 1100 fps loads, recently I started with my trigger finger alongside the bottom of the receiver, instead of inside the trigger guard has brought some improvement. Maybe you can't jerk and look for the trigger simultaneously. I shoot gun down most of the time especially when flinching badly and that has helped.
    Jim Bowlin 50 years experience. Good luck

14. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

Will a release trigger fix all levels of the flinch?

CM

15. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Claymuncher Is moving in the right direction to understand the flinch.

Release triggers do work but are not really a cure just an aid to shooting around a problem. It works well enough for some in fact it's good enough for some of the best shooters.

It has been my experience that flinching is caused by many different problems.

Visual problems and poor shooting habits are one of the most common contributors.

Tension and holding a gun too tightly is another cause.

The trigger thing is hard to explain and seems to effect people differently.
    I would say its not the light pull but the inconsistent pull that causes the problems.
    Joe

16. Rooksd1

Rooksd1 Member

I think grip to trigger length, length of pull, and rib height have caused me to flinch in the past. Not to mention some of the reasons listed above.

17. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Actually it's the brain that flinches.

18. romie

romie Active Member

STOCK FITTER GOT IT. you need to figure out for sure what is causing the flinch. I was trying to slow down my shooting last summer and it and seeing started causing me to flinch
    monty

19. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

FWIW, I can believe the "visual" thing. When I fall into anticipating the target (just ONE of my many chronic bad habits) I find I occasionally flinch. I think it's because I've moved the gun prematurely and then the target failed to appear when and where I expected? When I just point the gun "THERE" and don't move it until I see the target and read it's flight..........I never flinch.

John C. Saubak

20. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

When I switched to a release trigger, it cured all kinds of ills........ some of which I didn't even know I had.

For example, the release trigger apparently improved my vision tremendously because I no longer had any problems seeing the targets or losing sight of the targets.

Also, the release trigger improved my mental game tremendously because I no longer had one part of my brain telling me to pull the trigger and another part of my brain telling me not to.

And, of course, the release trigger made me a much smoother shooter instead of the herky-jerky type shooter I was before.

On top of all this, the release trigger apparently made me more invincible to recoil because I no longer feared that the gun was going to kick me when I pulled the trigger.

Hey, I wouldn't be surprised if the release trigger improved my performance in the bedroom too, but I guess I'd better not go into details on that one. :)

With all these improvements to my shooting and masculinity, I wish I had switched to a release trigger 10 years sooner.

Seriously, if you're starting to experience some flinching or failure to pull the trigger problems, the only question is do you switch to a release trigger now or do you keep trying every fad, gimmick, and fix that comes down the pike in hopes that this one will be the cure? My advice is to fix your problem with a release trigger now and get on with enjoying life instead of putting off the inevitable.

Easystreet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.