1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

flinching on straightaway tgts.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Country Squire, Jul 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Country Squire

Country Squire TS Member

I have been shooting a long time 50yrs+.I shoot a release trigger. Recently I have developed a flinch on straightaway targets from #4 post. What happens is I try to pull the trigger after it is set instead of letting it go which is very frustrating. Any thoughts as I am at a loss to figure it out. Thanks George

2. nrasmus

nrasmus Member

Borrow a pull trigger gun for post 4 ???

3. Mismost

Mismost TS Member

I would bet it is vision related.... if it is coming out right under your barrel, you may be seeing it a bit late. If it is later, maybe a lower hold point at 4 would help?

Why just on 4? That makes me wonder about all kinds of things.

4. Country Squire

Country Squire TS Member

Mismost, my vision is good. I'll try a lower hold point or a differant one. It has me stumped. I'll flinch once in a while,but not any particular target.Another shooter said I was moving the gun before the target came out which is a possibility also.Thanks George

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

It is a crossfire.

6. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

You could be moving your gun on the call. Jumping the bird creates all kinds of problems. have someone hand pull some taregts slow for you.
    Joe

7. dentguy

dentguy Member

ill second trhe crossfire. ive been thru it.

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Try counting the number of TRUE straight away targets you get from post 4, might find some sort of answer there too? Hap

9. IM390

IM390 Member

If you are like me you may be anticipating a quarter angle or hard right and getting a straight away. Along with that you are jerking the gun and pulling over the target when firing. Changing your point of aim will definately help in solving that problem. I would raise my point of aim the thickness of the rib as I look down the barrel from your normal hold point. That will do two things. It will give you more time to acquire the target and allow you to smooth out your swing without having to jerk the gun in the correct position. Your target will get out a little farther when you hit it, but that will change as you get use to your new hold point. You should see improvement within 100 targets. Go practice and shoot just on station 4 until it feels comfortable. I follow the instructions of D. Lee Braun and on position 4 you ought to be aiming a little higher than on 1, 2, and 3. As we get a little older we all slow down and need to adjust for that. Think smarter, not harder. This is from a guy who's being shooting for trap for over 44 years and I'm in my best year, yet.

10. Country Squire

Country Squire TS Member

Thanks for the help. I changed my hold point slightly and held a split sec.longer before calling for the bird making shure I didn't move the gun before the bird came out. I only missed 1 out of about 10 and I shot at it. I didn't fail to fire,so hopefully I'm semi.cured until the next problem occurs. thanks again George

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.