1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Flinching on a Young Shooter

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Blakester, Aug 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blakester

Blakester TS Member

Hello I have a big problem and need help, My son who is 12 and been shooting a 1 1/2 years has a bad jerk or flinch this has been going off and on for sometime now but it's very irregular broke 2 straight 25's at the Grand then tonight he broke maybe 50 out of 100 very hard on a young kid do I need to make him take a break and get his mind off of it or what would you do, The best thing he Loves this sport more than anything and wants to be good at it .
    Broken Hearted trapshooter :

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

It sounds like the gun doesn't really fit him...but, it could be a number of things, some as simple as ear protection.

3. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Tron's absolutely correct. Somewhere the stock doesn't fit, or he doesn't maintain a proper gun mount, stance, etc. Start looking at the small stuff he does. It may be something very small, but it will yield huge disappointments.

He should also practice wearing both plugs and muffs.

You may also try a drill used by rifle shooters. Have your son turn his back, and you load (or not) his gun, so he doesn't know if a shell is in the chamber. That way he'll learn to not anticipate the recoil.

You may also want to get a neutral third party. Your son wouldn't be the first to flinch in front of dad.

Good luck.

Best,
    Dennis

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Have a competent gunsmith check his trigger pull!!

5. otnot

otnot Active Member

Take a break for a couple of weeks and then have him shoot the lightest loads you can find. 7/8 ounce would be the best thing you could do for him. In the weeks off take the time to get him fitted for his stock.

6. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Stop the insanity - get him a PFS.

NOW!

He will LOVE you for it and it will cure the recoil induced flinch and he will have perfect gun fit until he's done growing.

Everybody that I have let shoot my son's gun cannot believe how well the PFS works.

Either that or get him a semi auto and cut his ammo back to weenie 1oz loads. But if it was me it would be the PFS.

7. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Have someone at the club who shoots a release trigger give him some instruction in its use and let him try it. Have him shoot a snap cap for a couple of rounds while someone else shoots the targets. See how that works out.

8. Blakester

Blakester TS Member

Bryce you hit it on the head when you said visual/timing, it's almost like he calls for the bird see's it goes after it and just about the time he's there he jerks past the target and shoots, sometimes it's like its a timing problem I have him holding a low gun to slow him down on his timing , one eyed shooter and sometime he's a good shot just about the time you think it;s cured he's missing targets again

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Hey guys, this is a kid!

Chances are a gun that does not fit, which is shot with heavy loads, is kicking the taste out of his mouth.

How big is the young athlete? Height, weight. What type of gun, LOP, and shell?

10. tad houston

tad houston TS Member

You indicated that he is a one eye shooter. I believe Bryce may be on to something with his last post.

My question is, does he have some form of block (tape, dot) on the left lens of his glasses or is he just closing the left eye?

I have seen (including myself) that with just closing the eye you will have times where you "peek". More so in the later rounds. This will cause the type of visual/timing flinch mentioned.

11. Baber

Baber TS Member

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES HAVE USE A RELEASE TRIGGER!!!!

The PFS is probably the best solution. Give him a RT at this point will ruin him for life. Address the stock fit and recoil problem is one solution. I have seen this in young kids and the PFS is the best solution. He can grow into the stock and when he is grown enough you can get him a real stock and sell the PFS.

Tom

12. Blakester

Blakester TS Member

He is using magic dot on his glasses he is shooting 1 oz. loads of 16.8 gr. of 700X a very soft load it may be a noise flinch, I'll tell you what I think I'm going to do I'm going to take about 2 weeks off then nobody around I'm going to place some clays upright in the grass and have him to hold back this side about 20 yards and have him to call pull and come upon the bird and try not to jerk if he does he will see actually what it's doing then after that we have our own trap I will lock it down on straight away soft and let him practice that way pretty much start him all over besides the PFS what do you think . He is shooting a BT-99 micro plus wth recoil device and fits him very good, Nora Ross fit him to the gun 2 months ago so I don't know anything else to do ..

13. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

My son developed almost the exact same problem at the same age. I took him out of clay target shooting for over a year. Then had him start back with a low gun mount and shooting sporting clays. We seem to have solved the problem. I would not try to shoot through the problem at his age. You are likely to ingrain it and he will never shoot well. Give it a rest. Jake

14. Baber

Baber TS Member

What is his dominate eye. Could he be cross dominate? Is he shooting with the wrong hand? It might be best to let him sit awhile. It might resolve itself when he wants it resolved.

TB

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I like your idea about some time off. (of shooting shotguns) I had to do that a few times with pistols. In the down time, perhaps he could work on shooting at hand thrown soup cans with a daisy repeater. Give that a try for a few weeks and then go back to the range and shoot a single round of trap. Work on the problem together and you will be pleased with the outcome.

16. tad houston

tad houston TS Member

You indicated that he is a one eye shooter. I believe Bryce may be on to something with his last post.

My question is, does he have some form of block (tape, dot) on the left lens of his glasses or is he just closing the left eye?

I have seen (including myself) that with just closing the eye you will have times where you "peek". More so in the later rounds. This will cause the type of visual/timing flinch mentioned.

17. Baber

Baber TS Member

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES HAVE USE A RELEASE TRIGGER!!!!

The PFS is probably the best solution. Give him a RT at this point will ruin him for life. Address the stock fit and recoil problem is one solution. I have seen this in young kids and the PFS is the best solution. He can grow into the stock and when he is grown enough you can get him a real stock and sell the PFS.

Tom

18. Blakester

Blakester TS Member

He is using magic dot on his glasses he is shooting 1 oz. loads of 16.8 gr. of 700X a very soft load it may be a noise flinch, I'll tell you what I think I'm going to do I'm going to take about 2 weeks off then nobody around I'm going to place some clays upright in the grass and have him to hold back this side about 20 yards and have him to call pull and come upon the bird and try not to jerk if he does he will see actually what it's doing then after that we have our own trap I will lock it down on straight away soft and let him practice that way pretty much start him all over besides the PFS what do you think . He is shooting a BT-99 micro plus wth recoil device and fits him very good, Nora Ross fit him to the gun 2 months ago so I don't know anything else to do ..

19. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

My son developed almost the exact same problem at the same age. I took him out of clay target shooting for over a year. Then had him start back with a low gun mount and shooting sporting clays. We seem to have solved the problem. I would not try to shoot through the problem at his age. You are likely to ingrain it and he will never shoot well. Give it a rest. Jake

20. Baber

Baber TS Member

What is his dominate eye. Could he be cross dominate? Is he shooting with the wrong hand? It might be best to let him sit awhile. It might resolve itself when he wants it resolved.

TB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.