1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Flinching: How old were you and how many targets?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JBrooks, Feb 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

In the interest of understanding the type of flinching cured by a release trigger, how old were you when you started to flinch and how many targets had you shot? Please respond even if you haven't changed to a release.

Also, do you consider yourself recoil sensitive?

For me, about 10,000 targets and 57. I do not consider recoil a problem.

2. GOLDENCLAYS

GOLDENCLAYS TS Member

For me about 50,000 to 60,000 targets and 37 years old.

3. below 0

below 0 TS Member

Several hundred thousand and age 59.

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

A few thousand at age 22!!

5. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

30k to 40k age 49

tony

6. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

In my case it was a little different. I shot a lot of trap, (ATA and league), for about 10 years. Then just lost interest and didn't shoot for about 15 years. I then chose to get back into shooting; especially as I was nearing retirement and would have the time. So, I started in again and just could not break decent scores like I had in the past. I became frustrated and started to flinch. The harder I tried, the more I flinched. It was about 2 years ago, when I must have flinched a dozen times in 100 targets. I told a fellow shooter that I was just going to give up. He said I should try the release trigger route. I did and it really helped me. Shooting is fun again. So my thinking is that I was not flinching due to recoil. (I wasn't shooting that many rounds). I feel it was all psychological; i.e. the worse I shot, the harder I would try and I would just flinch more. By flinching and shooting terrible scores, it made me tense, embarrassed and frustrated. These afflictions contributed to the flinch. I should add that I am now 64 years old. Ed

7. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Started clay shooting seriously nearly 5 years ago, and "flinching" started late last year after "many thousands of rounds." NOT a recoil issue, but an eye dominance problem. Strange, but it is ONLY when I shoot Trap!

AndyH(64)

8. John E

John E Member

20 years old and a few thousand targets i am recoil sesitive to a point. my flinching is caused by (bird bead relationship problems)not being able to see the target well when its "time" to shoot. I have not changed to a relese but a much higher ribbed gun to help get my head up.

9. chipking

chipking TS Member

Started when I was 59 after about 50K or so shotgun rounds. First happened at Skeet station 8 high house. I thought I had a trigger problem at first but it kept getting worse and began to happen on different guns and at Trap as well. I shot High-Power rifle and 1000 yard matches for many years and I do not consider myself recoil sensitive. My flinch appears to be a disconnect between my brain and trigger finger. My brain is screaming SHOOT and the trigger finger goes HUH?

--- Chip King ---

10. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Around 7.

Second shot through a gun.

Not recoil a .22.

Noise!!!!!!!!!!

Improper or lack of hearing protection can lead to flinching.

Joe

11. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Interesting comments about vision. When I would flinch, I too thought it was because I lost sight of the target. However, I don't understand how the release trigger improved my vision.

12. oleolliedawg

I never knew Golf was such a noisy sport. Does a well fitted set of ear plugs cure the yips? If so, I'm gonna be a wealthy man with that suggestion!!

13. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Bad dawg! Dumb Dawg......

14. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

20 years of shooting -- don't have a clue as to how many targets -- when I flinch -- I push or pull the gun with my forearm holding hand -- I sometimes close my eyes the instant I shoot -- I shoot a KX-5 -- Kreighoff Pa. installed a release trigger -- all my shooting buddies told me it would help my problem -- waste of money for me -- didn't help a bit -- still continue to do the same thing -- I have considered removing the hook because shooting a release has it little quirks as well -- I should have shot a buddies gun more before I ventured into the release world -- for me it didn't help at all -- my advice to those considering a release is to approach it with caution and shoot one a lot before you invest your money -- the same things is true when I shoot Skeet -- I do the same thing with the forearm push and closing my eyes

15. oleolliedawg

Even dumber suggestion from a wannabe with no real shooting credentials!!

16. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

My credentials are the customers I have helped. Six world champion customers. I must Know something.

How many state Champions or National Trophy winners have you helped.

Really I thought so!!!!!!!!!

17. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Last time I saw Harlan hitting golf balls he was wearing hearing protection. I have whitnesses. I'm No golfer but I'll ask him about the yips.

18. oleolliedawg

fitter, next time you see Kay tell him you can cure flinching by having him stuff his earplugs in a little deeper just like you did.

Remember, those that can't shoot-teach. That comment was not directed toward those real Trapshooter-teachers, who can shoot!!

19. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I don't flinch yet. I hope I never do. I shoot trap and skeet at least 1 day a week and occasionally in leagues but never in registered shoots. I also shoot sporting clays every week and do shoot in registered tournaments. I have always shot 1200fps or less and always shoot with a 20 gauge for practice. I shoot a 12 gauge in leagues and competitions. Both of my guns are 11-87's. Both have added limbsaver recoil pads. My 20 weighs 7 1/4 pounds. Heavy for a 20 gauge and light recoiling. By comparison my hunting buddies use 12 gauges that weigh the same as my 20. Some use faster loads. They all flinch. None of them think they flinch but you will always see it when a shell doesn't go off. One of them favored very fast shells, 1300 fps or faster. He doesn't think he has a flinching problem. He thinks the trigger is messed up on all his guns. He is ready to sell one right now convinced the trigger is messed up. It isn't. I see hom sometimes ride a target, start to shoot, then ride the target a little more before finally pulling the trigger. Give someone a shell with a bad primer in it then watch their reaction. It is very telling.

20. jrton80

jrton80 Member

Started flinching at age 32 after about 40,00 targets but only flinched one or two targets per hundred. After coming home after the Southern Grand in 1986, I attended a 500 bird marathon in Lancaster, Ohio. Shot a release trigger for the first time and broke 496....been shooting it ever since (bought the TM-1 also). Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.