1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Flinching eye or body or trigger?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smsnyder, Mar 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Is it the eye, body or trigger causing a flinch? I have shot a release for many years and after a 2 year break from trap i went back to pull. It seems i have more control of the shot vs using a release trigger. With a release i would short shot the angles from 1 and 5 position. To tell you the truth i am more comfortable shooting a pull trigger but still flinch at times. I am trying to work around this. I also went to a high rib which i can now see targets more clearer. I am hoping that helps.

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

smsnyder- A flinch is an acquired reflex. It can be triggered by several different things such as: not seeing the target well, trigger situations and anticipation of recoil and noise.

Pat Ireland

3. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I have a visual flinch. Not correctly aquiring the bird, whether I mis-mounted or lack of concentration. I tend to panic and jump at it. Dave T.

4. Drew Hause

Drew Hause Well-Known Member

"Flinch", "yips" in golfers, and a host of other movement disorders are now classified as a 'Task Specific Dystonia'

The problem has ended the careers of some professional golfers and musicians. Aynsley Smith PhD, Director of Sports Pyschology and Sports Medicine Research at the Mayo Clinic, Rochester, has researched the problem extensively
    http://www.radiology.medscape.com/viewarticle/411176

Michael Keyes, M.D. discussed the 'Yips' on p. 28 of the Sept. 05' Shotguns Sports Magazine

I've been forced to stop shooting trap, but am thankful that I can shoot a round or two of 'low gun' skeet with 1 oz. loads, an 8# gun, and quality triggers. No one is interested in my medical problems but the explanation is illustrative and complex related to:

1. Otosclerosis-a familial problem causing tinnitus, loss of hearing, and dysequilibrium (dizzyness)
    2. Several previous sports and MVA related head injuries causing dysequilibrium (and likely explains my squishy brain)
    3. A familial problem with involuntary myoclonic jerking/fine resting tremor that may be associated with head titubation (involuntary head shaking)
    4. Bad osteoarthritis in my neck and back
    5. Way too much trap and sporting clays with 1 1/8 loads

Gentlemen: I frequently 'flinch' trying to click the mouse on the computer! And trust me, I've tried every 'cure' short of a release trigger.

My point is that a 'flinch' is as real as Parkinsonism (and sorta the opposite problem) and the cause and cure thereof can be terribly complex. Give guys a break when discussing it, because it's unbelievably frustrating to have no control over something as simple as pulling a trigger or swinging a putter.

Must have been an issue back in 1906 :)

[​IMG]

5. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Sm-- Ihave read your questions many times and the probable solution that I never see mentioned is that you need to check and see if you have a severe cross-firing problem which I will bet is the case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.