1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Flinching and a release trigger

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JB Logan Co. Ohio, Jun 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

I shoot an XT combo (usually the top single) and I've been flinching like crazy. It's been coming on more and more for the past few years. I need a ballpark figure IF I go with a release, of how much it will cost me to put one in my XT Combo. I'm guessing just a single release (release, pull). Yes, I've tried everything I know to try to stop it. No, I don't believe it to be a function of seeing the target. Would possible carpel tunnel have anything to do with it? That would be the only phsical reason that might figure in. Mental (in)capacity does not count! HELP MR. WIZARD!

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

You're among many. Send it to Spears(around $300) and don't look back!!

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Jerry.... Just a little bit of advice if you do go to release. Do not go release/pull as you will most likely be wasting your money. You will eventually have to go to double release's anyway, so, save yourself some time and money and do it right the first time. Trust me, I speak from experience here. I know there are those that will say they can shoot release/pull with no problems, however, they are in the minority when it comes to this. I would venture to say that 90% or more that try release/pull eventually go to release/release.... Just my experience......Dan Thome (Trap2)

4. tj303

tj303 Member

I also recommend Spears and going with the double release.

5. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

I haven't had the time to contact Thurmond as I just seriously began to think of a release. The last 100 handicap at Marengo I must have flinched about 15-18 times. I know I was tired but that is ridiculous! I'm going to give him a call when I get back from vacation in NC. Thanks for all the replies. I really need something to overcome this.

6. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Jerry: Been there and done that. I know how frustrating it is. I used to say that I would quit shooting before I would go to a release. Well I went to a release in March of 2007 and never looked back. Shooting is enjoyable again. I had Skeets Gun Shop in Talequah, OK. do my Beretta 682. Excellent work at a reasonable price. I would definitely recommend them. Ed

7. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Don`t know what kind of gun you own , but I have a release made by Spears for an 1100 , a Ljutic release for my mono and a release/pull for my 3200 . Never thought I`d get use to a double release until the 3200 release was screwed up by a gunsmith and I used the 1100 for a few months . Prior to that the 3200 worked flawless . The 3200 is easy to use or get use to also . The Ljutic release is OK and never failed so whatever you chose to do will be OK . I believe that the first shot of doubles is the critical one for developing that flinch as it was when I hunted and first noticed I flinched with that first shot but then there are others that refuse to believe that . Happened to me so I will stick with my belief . I rarely flinched on the second shot . The decision is yours to make .

8. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Jerry,
    Call me @ 609 231 6187 I might be able to talk you through eliminating the flintch. Joe goldberg

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Dan Thome gave very good advice about going to a double release. But, Dan, where were 30 years ago when I made the release/pull mistake? The release/pull trigger would be better described as a release/flinch trigger.

Pat Ireland

10. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Pat..... How well I understand that statement. I fought the release/pull for almost a year just trying to prove to everyone else that I was the exception to the release/release rule. The only one that was foolish was me for not listening to those that had been there before me. But, I was a bit of a "know it all" even back then..... Dan

11. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

I shot a release/pull for about four years..then the deadly flinch reared its ugly head once more..Can't explain it but all at once, I would flinch about once each station at doubles. Hence, the second relelase..now, if I could just get the sequence down. You'll see what I mean.Set/release..set/release..Half of the time I get to the second bird and haven't set the trigger..by the time I set it, I've pulled completly off target. Boy, has my doubles gone into the porcelin bucket! It's coming,but slowly.

Big Jack

12. k3uro

k3uro Member

Hey,

Double release unless you do not really have a flinching problem.

Take care,

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.