1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Flinch/Target Panic?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Billster, Oct 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billster

Billster TS Member

Was just reading the Release Trigger thread and came across (again) the term 'flinch'. I thought flinch meant flinching in anticipation of report/recoil as in an innate 'fear' response. Now I see the term 'target panic' related to 'flinch' in the same paragraph. This I'm beginning to relate to and never thought of it as a flinch.

The past week I've become aware of snapping the trigger before i've gotten to the lead of some hard angles. These are targets I've let get ahead of me and I usually end up asking myself 'why did i pop the trigger too early on that one?' Sounds like target panic to me. Need to move the gun quicker on those instead of squeezing away and praying.

Gotta remember that term 'target panic'. Good to have a name for the latest pain in the ass.

bill

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

There is a good chance that your problem is related to a problem with your trigger. An inconsistent trigger weight of pull or release point. HMB

3. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

many people like me can't relax for all 100 targets. i learned to relax for 4 to five seconds on each target. kinda like going onto a zone. my scores have moved up 10% compated to last year. i don't let target control.

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Lifting your head will cause a flinch. I know, I've been doing it alot the last year. So much so in fact, I just bought a release trigger for my Ljutic. I just could not stop lifting my head. No matter what I tried. Perhaps, after 30 years of shooting my brain just did not like the recoil, barrel jump, noise, or whatever, anymore. I had to make a change, or quit shooting. I put that release off as long as I could. I hope it help's my head lifting problem. Last chance.

5. Baber

Baber TS Member

Suggest that you Google "Target Panic" and reads some of the articles. There are some exercises you can do to retrain yourself to avoid having to go to a Release Trigger. Using an RT should be the last resort.

TB

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

I agree that going to release trigger should be a last resort, but this last resort is not something to be avoided with fear if it is needed. For me, switching to a release was very easy.

Pat Ireland

7. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Pat,
    It is kind of funny in life how often things that are better are more complicated or difficult (at least initially). I think that is true in spades with release triggers. Sure, the vast majority of the world uses pull triggers. Sure, it is a simpler process it just pull than to pull(set) and then release. But darn it, the truth is release triggers are better once you are past the learning curve. They are smoother, faster, and more natural. I LOVE shooting a release. And, I can't think of a shooter who I know who uses one who doesn't feel the same. I don't flinch alot. Once or twice a hundred at most. But, of course, that is enough to screw up a good score. But, the release gives better timing and feel in the game. It is a step up. An evolution. Just like newer conventional triggers have faster lock times and the over/under is a better system than sxs. It is progress like metal woods in golf or composite tennis recquet or computers instead of the abacus.

Best Regards, Jake

8. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Bill......You're probably trying to hard. I don't know if it will work for you, but the following worked for me........When I started relaxing and shooting trap as though I didn't care whether I did well or not is when my scores went through the roof! This is not to say that I didn't still know and follow the fundamentals of trap shooting........there's a fine line here! Try it!

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

shot410, maybe you've got it backward-a flinch might cause you to lift your head. That's how I see it!!

10. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I panic at every target.....that's what makes it fun!!

Curt

11. lumper

lumper TS Member

HipShot ... you quit thinking and just followed your instincts. Over thinking is probably the biggest problem in shooting ... thinking to much about what your doing will royally screw you up.

12. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

I look at the release trigger as a specialized tool, rather than an evolution in shotgunning. Its sole purpose seems to be to ameliorate a flinching problem in target shooters rather than to advance shootgunning as a whole.
    In other words, it has its place with a relatively small group of shooters.

13. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Lumper.....Yes,thats probably exactly what I really did!

14. AAA 27 AAA

AAA 27 AAA TS Member

I've come to the conclusion that everyone flinches. I would be willing to bet even Leo flinches. The brain doesn't like for you to expose your body to the blast and recoil that one subjects it to in a 100 target event. In my opinion it's all about the timing of picking up the target out of the house. If you are late, the brain begins to prepare itself for the shock you are about to give the body, thus timing is out of whack and the barrell jumps, eyes close or squint, thus a lost target.

In practice, give yourself a dud shell, or better yet, let one of your friends place the shell in the box so you won't know where it is. Proceed to shoot your practice and watch what happens when you get the dud. Some shooters will have a lot of gun movement, and some not so much. This same reaction will happen when you are later than normal in picking up the target, thus a flinch and lost target.

Release triggers are not a solve all, nor are they for everyone. I know shooters who converted to the release and still flinch.

15. Billster

Billster TS Member

TBaber's advice. I Googled 'target panic' and all of the links pertain to archery but it's pretty much what I think I'm doing. Anxiety at the hard lefts causing me to 'punch' at the target before I'm on the target. Not thinking it's a flinching problem per se and not stopping the gun. Thinking/analyzing too much is easy to do with this sport. BAM!

cheers and thanks for the inputs.
    bill

16. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Target panic is an archery term. They have a cure for it known as "Blind bale shooting". You release thousands of arrows with your eyes closed feeling the release only. Then you shoot at very close targets that are almost impossible to miss. The whole thing takes over a month. During this time you do not shoot any arrows at a regular target. I have been through it and it works. I don't know for the life of me how to translate it into something a shotgun shooter could use.

BTW when it is in golf it is called a "Yip".

jim brown

17. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Jim,
    I've been wondering the same thing myself, how to apply blind bale shooting to trap or clay target shooting. I'm an archer and a trap shooter and i'm very familiar with blind bale shooting but not for target panic - just to get the "feel" for the release.

And just in case anybody thinks that RT's are for shooting only, wrong - the tension release is used in archery and is designed to go off with no trigger action at all.

I wonder if anybody has ever tried or studied the effect of shooting a shotgun with a pull trigger with the eyes closed. It almost sounds crazy and dangerous but I wonder..........

Of course, it may all be moot. RT's exist and are very successful for those that need them or prefer them.

18. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

I've shot some scores that would indicate I had my eyes closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.