1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Flinch Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by willing, Apr 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. willing

willing Member

I just read another thread which reminded me of this problem. Has anyone used
    hypnotism to cure flinching??
    It works for some people quitting smoking. Maybe it might help with flinching.
    Has anybody tried? Please don't tell me about release triggers.

Bill
  2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member

no. But you get 2 flinches a round. Especially the two turndowns on surprising hard angles. I know a guy that has it down to a science.
  3. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

MIA : NO, you mean shooters actually do that, why that is cheating!

CM

Hypnotizzzzed? That would be a miracle cure, better to take the problem head on.
  4. hmb

hmb Active Member

Most shotguns have triggers that suck. Get a good trigger and your flinch might go away. HMB
  5. 221

221 Well-Known Member

Too many put too much emphasis on shotgun triggers. Of all the types of shooting I've done the trigger quality of a trap gun is of the least importance. It's like a palm swell, some say they like them because they "feel" good. They shouldn't be felt at all, because if you are thinking that feels good you are not thinking about your shot.

Triggers are no different. a pistol shooter, or a bench rest shooter, high power, etc, needs a perfect trigger. I never feel the trigger on a shotgun. I have Browning s, Remington's , and Krieghoff's in various gauges and I can not tell the difference in any of them while shooting targets. Now while patterning them I do.

Your trigger should be controlled by your subconscious mind, not your conscious.

A pistol shooter shooting 50yd slowfire has to have a perfect trigger, or it will drive him nuts. A rapid fire shooter, a good one that is, will shoot a string and not realize the gun fired more than once, till it's empty, and the slide locks back.

Stop thinking about the trigger, quit trying to manipulate it with your conscious mind. If you are executing your shot correctly the gun will go off. You will not feel the trigger, the palm swell, even the recoil will appear to be less. Trust your mind.
  6. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Great advice 221.
  7. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member

hmb is wrong. 90% + of shooters can adapt to imperfect triggers. And hmb, what is, adn where is this perfect tirgger? Huh?
  8. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I'd second what "221" stated.
  9. willing

willing Member

I just read another thread which reminded me of this problem. Has anyone used
    hypnotism to cure flinching??
    It works for some people quitting smoking. Maybe it might help with flinching.
    Has anybody tried? Please don't tell me about release triggers.

Bill
  10. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member

no. But you get 2 flinches a round. Especially the two turndowns on surprising hard angles. I know a guy that has it down to a science.
  11. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

MIA : NO, you mean shooters actually do that, why that is cheating!

CM

Hypnotizzzzed? That would be a miracle cure, better to take the problem head on.
  12. hmb

hmb Active Member

Most shotguns have triggers that suck. Get a good trigger and your flinch might go away. HMB
  13. 221

221 Well-Known Member

Too many put too much emphasis on shotgun triggers. Of all the types of shooting I've done the trigger quality of a trap gun is of the least importance. It's like a palm swell, some say they like them because they "feel" good. They shouldn't be felt at all, because if you are thinking that feels good you are not thinking about your shot.

Triggers are no different. a pistol shooter, or a bench rest shooter, high power, etc, needs a perfect trigger. I never feel the trigger on a shotgun. I have Browning s, Remington's , and Krieghoff's in various gauges and I can not tell the difference in any of them while shooting targets. Now while patterning them I do.

Your trigger should be controlled by your subconscious mind, not your conscious.

A pistol shooter shooting 50yd slowfire has to have a perfect trigger, or it will drive him nuts. A rapid fire shooter, a good one that is, will shoot a string and not realize the gun fired more than once, till it's empty, and the slide locks back.

Stop thinking about the trigger, quit trying to manipulate it with your conscious mind. If you are executing your shot correctly the gun will go off. You will not feel the trigger, the palm swell, even the recoil will appear to be less. Trust your mind.
  14. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Great advice 221.
  15. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member

hmb is wrong. 90% + of shooters can adapt to imperfect triggers. And hmb, what is, adn where is this perfect tirgger? Huh?
  16. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I'd second what "221" stated.
  17. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Active Member

Yes. The hypnotist hypnotizes you into buying a release trigger.
  18. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Well-Known Member

MIA nails this one. The quest for a so called perfect pull trigger just makes your flinches more expensive!!
  19. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Active Member

Lots of smiths out there that make & sell excellent anti-flinch devices for clay target shotguns.

:)
  20. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

Bill, you had a question for me?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.