1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Flinch-bail out?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Jun 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Lets say you've flinched before you release or pull the trigger. Does anyone have any idea on a drill or mental routine to stop you from actually releasing or pulling the trigger?

Phil Berkowitz

2. SeanGamble

SeanGamble TS Member

If what you are talking about is moving the barrel before you see the bird, one thing my coach does is has you mount the gun and pull a target without calling pull. It helps you analyze the shot without just going through the motions. Hope this helps.

-Sean

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Phil,
    For me it was basically the same exercise as dealing with a broken bird/no target/illegal target/slow pull. You have to consider a flinch as one of the reasons not to fire the gun. That's harder to do if you been shooting a long time because you learned to make some desperate attempt to shoot when you had a flinch.

It's a different mindset now. With the FTF rule, you have to convince yourself never to fire once you've flinched. The flinch is the same as the
    illegal target or slow pull. Just commit to it.

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Try shooting a round calling "pull" with your eyes closed and then opening them, finding the target and killing it.

It will help you come to grips with that feeling of urgency you get after a flinch or when a target surprises you.

MK

5. ctreay

ctreay Member

I flinch, BADLY!, there are times when my brain tells my stupid finger to pull the darned trigger and it just won't. It seems that I poke at it a couple of times (according to my teammates) and then I actually take a couple of steps off the pad still pokeing. I can usually open the gun and put it down, catch my breath and call for the bird again and smash it as soon as it is out of the house.

ctreay

6. Mark-in-Maine

Mark-in-Maine Member

Phew, I thought you were talking about more government money there for a second.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.