1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Flinch answer

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Claymuncher, Apr 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

Just to keep this going, what would you do to fix this age old and tireless affliction?

CM

2. K-EIGHTY

K-EIGHTY Member

C.E.Burgess,

What do you mean about Harlan Campbell falling forward?

Thanks,

K-EIGHTY

3. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

There are only two reasons for a flinch.

1. Visual

2. Recoil

The manifestations may be numerous but only two reasons.

Joe Goldberg

4. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

"Flinch" is the question.

"Release trigger" is the answer.

5. wingmaster78

wingmaster78 Active Member

In my opinion, most everyone that shoots clay target games, is going to flinch sometime or other. I have shot thousands of targets and have flinched myself.

After all the mechanics are learned and muscle memory is attained, I believe that most shooters after enough targets, knows instinctively when to pull the trigger. The brain knows what it is recieving from the eyes and knows when to tell the finger to pull the trigger. I don't believe the flinch is caused by recoil nor is it visual. I believe it is mental. The brain, eyes and muscles have done this sequence over and over and are very proficient at what they do. I think it is a slight doubt or thought that triggers a flinch.

All this is related to shotguns and clay targets. The flinch from unknown recoil such as a gun you have never fired is a different flinch than the flinch from shooting a familiar (probably 1000's of times)gun and ammunition that most people use for clay target games.

IMO, a release trigger will NOT fix the flinch sdhooters develope in the clay games. I would bet that anyone that shoots a release trigger and is honest, will tell you that they still occasionally will flinch on a target. It may have helped a little, but if you are not fully focused on the game. there is no difference between pulling or releasing a trigger. The eye still has to tell the brain to tell the finger to fire the shot.

Think about it, seriously think about it.

6. typhoon

typhoon TS Member

Not an expert, so consider the source. I see similarities between shooting sports and golf. They are both games of inches. Specifically the 7 inches, give or take, between your ears!

I once read a tip by golfing great Greg Norman. He once played an entire round focusing on little more than his grip. For the flinching problem, try focusing (literally) on keeping your eye(s) open when the gun goes off, i.e. not blinking. No blink, no flinch. You may follow-through better to boot.

Release triggers are a whole nother topic, but personally, I think they should not be allowed. Most other shooting sports do not allow a release trigger. What makes trapshooting so special?

7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

"Most other shooting sports do not allow a release trigger". Which ones other than one dominated by foreigners also who can't find the deodorant aisle in the supermarket!!

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Rubbish. HMB

9. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

Hold the gun tight and pull it into your shoulder and the flinch will go away, at least mine did. Woody

10. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

In my experience the flinch I have has to do with the visual aspect of the game. If my eyes don't lock on,and see the target clearly I'll flinch damn near every time.Still workin' on it( fixing the flinch that is).

Focus,Focus,Focus!

D.P.Reynolds

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

After one shoots for along time, shooting the target becomes automatic. Everything clicks together at the exact moment: eyes, trigger, movement etc. If a glitch occurred in the sequence of events----HELLO, a flinch. For some reason, release triggers seem to solve the problem, at least for me. I haven't flinched since I installed one about 3 years ago.

12. dward

dward Member

"I would bet that anyone that shoots a release trigger and is honest, will tell you that they still occasionally will flinch on a target. It may have helped a little, but if you are not fully focused on the game. there is no difference between pulling or releasing a trigger."

I can only speak for myself, but since I switched to a release I have never flinched....which is now about 20 years. And IMHO pulling and releasing a trigger is totally different.

When I used to flinch, I never lunged forward or jerked in any way. Anybody watching me would not have seen a thing. I would swing through the bird and my trigger finger would make about a 1-2lb move on my 3-1/2lb trigger. Something upstairs was telling me the picture wasn't perfect and wouldn't let me pull the trigger enough to fire the gun. With a release I have never had the gun not fire on a target once the gun got to it.

And frankly for anyone to tell someone else that their release trigger won't fix their problem is quite presumptuous! I believe at it's root, flinching is caused by a fear of missing the target.........and that will never go away....in any sport. I knew that when I saw the target perfectly and made a good smooth move I wouldn't flinch. The problem was that as I got to be a better shooter my mind kept wanting to see a more "perfect" picture and that just didn't always happen.

My humble 2 cents - Big Dan

13. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Campbell is not "falling forward." The move forward is the technique he uses
    and teaches.

Did you notice the "anti-release trigger" group write long tiresome posts
    about the causes and cures of a flinch. The release trigger proponents'
    posts generally are about one sentence if that.

14. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

I feel the same as Wingmaster and the others that believe the problem , most of the time is visual or mental.

I am not against release triggers. I think that before I invest in a release trigger and learn how to use it, I will work on my mechanics and my mental game first.

As always, these are opinions from both sides of the fence, and everyone is entitled to their own without being wrong on either choice.

15. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

In the May/June 2008 issue of "Shooting Sportsman" Tom Roster speaks about the cumulative effects of recoil and that trapshooters, due to their typically heavier loads, are more suspectible to developing a flinch...

What I gleaned from the article is that while one can never fully prevent the development of a flinch, by lessening actual recoil one can attempt to delay the onset...

Jay

16. Recoil Sissy

Mr. Burgess:

If you were to watch Harlan Campbell's instructional videos, you would know that he instructs shooters to lean slightly into the shot.

There are some excerpts of those vids on YouTube. You might want to take a look.

sissy

17. Recoil Sissy

dickgtax and all:

Those that, "write long tiresome posts about the causes and cures of a flinch" are typically those that have never experienced a serious and persistent flinch.

I installed my first release in 1990. That one and those that followed have apparently corrected my vision, eliminated recoil, caused me to pay attention, "hold the gun tight and pull it into (my) shoulder", and resolved whatever mental issues I had.

To be honest, release triggers have only eliminated my disastrous flinch for about twenty-two years. Who knows? I might develop an uncontrollable flinch again any minute.

sissy

PS to BigBadBob:

You were correct that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. You fell off the sled when you added, "without being wrong". Some opinions (including a few on this thread) have no merit whatsoever. They are in fact "wrong".

Here's another opinion... serious discussions about release triggers should be restricted to folks that actually know something about them. When the clueless and uninformed start posting fanciful nonsense, they should be clubbed like baby seals.

18. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

If I hadn't switched to a release trigger for my flinch, I would have probably quit shooting trap completelty. It was very frustrating to feel as if I did not have complete control over many of my shots. I'm not gonna get into the battle of whether its mental, visual or physical but I will say I tried all sorts of tricks including many discussed on this thread to rid myself of the flinch. The only thing that fixed my problem was the release trigger. If you find another way that works for you, more power to you. That said, when you get done screwing around with all the supposed quick fixes and mental/visual games get you a good release trigger and start shooting and having fun again.

19. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Nobody is for sure why we flinch. This bit about it being caused by recoil or not seeing the bird is crap. Why then, when we go to a release trigger don't we flinch? Same gun, recoil is the still the same and so is the visibility.

Oh, I know we still flinch now and then even with a release but not often.

Then there are those who are going to cure the flinch by pulling the gun in tighter or changing their trigger weight or trying a different hold on the house, etc. That is like going to a marriage counseler when you and your spouse are having problems. You go for six months to a year to get your marriage fixed, pay thousands of dollars and then get a divorce anyway.

Go to a release when you flinch. You'll be glad you did.

BB

20. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Sissy,

Everyone's opinion including yours is like an asshole. Everyone has one ( though yours seems to be bigger) and they all stink.

BTW, Sis, you can kiss mine!!!

Any time you want to try clubbing tis baby seal let me know, I would love to oblige you, but pack a big frigging club, jackoff!! You might be going home with your release trigger shoved up your ass!!!

I can also assume by your name that you really are a sissy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.