1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Flight path of shot pattern....

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Jul 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    A bullet fired from a rifle will trace an arc from the muzzle to the target.<br>
    <br>
    Shot will do the same.<br>
    <br>
    I can't find any information on just what this arc trajectory is, as measured from the centerpoint of the pattern.<br>
    <br>
    This would be useful information for setting up the POI for various shot sizes, velocities and typical trap distances.

2. Harold

Harold TS Member

My Lyman shotshell reloading handbook 4th edition has some tables in the chapter on Ballistics. I understand there are some computer ballistics programs that have shotshell data also.

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Brian, I've plotted the ballistics from Shotgun Ballistics for windows. It doesn't make a lot of difference. If you zero your POI at anything between 13 and 16 yards, you are essentially flat out to 45.

The flattest trajectory is achieved if you zero and unsingle 6" shy of 15 yards. The shot will recross at 45 yards, never having been higher than .65: above LOS.

4. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

I agree. The effective range of a shotgun, and the extreme spread of shot not only make the drop difficult to determine, but make it a moot point as well.

You certainly could calculate the theoretical drop of each pellet, but for all intents and purposes, you may safely assume it to be zero.

5. Harold

Harold TS Member

Brian

If it helps you out, the pellet drop at 40 yards for 1200 fps 7.5 shot is 3.7 inches. Should you adjust for 8 shot? I don't think so because that is 3.9 inches, only a 0.2 inch difference. Should you adjust for velocity? Not really, because 1135 fps is 4.0 inches and 1330 is 3.2 inches. Adjustment for different yardage is a matter of trial and error because of the different perspective of lead and the rising target/longer flight time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.