1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Flea treatment for dogs?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bisi, Nov 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Anybody got a fool proof way to get rid of fleas? I've been fighting em on poor dog for the last 6 weeks. She has never missed a dose of "Frontline" in the last 10 years. Now this fall she has fleas. I've treated her with insecticide flea and tick shampoo several times. The instruction says to only bathe her every 2 weeks with this shampoo. I've dosed her with flea powder several times. I've washed her bedding in hot water and bleach. I've bombed and sprayed the house with "Knockout E.S." (stuff from the vet) a couple of times.

I just purchased a flea collar but haven't put it on her because of fear of over dozing the dog with Frontline, insecticide shampoo, and flea powder which I'm all currently using on her. She is an elder dog - 14.

Any suggestions?? She has never had em before. Neighbors dog has em too and the vet told her it is a bad year for em because of the drought.

Thanks in advance. Tired of seeing her scratch.

2. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

Check with your Veterinarian.

3. GW22

GW22 Active Member

My dad used a white powder called "Carbola" on his hunting dogs. It worked so good I'm sure it's been banned, LOL. 40 years later, I still remember its smell.

-Gary

4. Mapper

Mapper Member

I recently had such a problem with my best buddy OZ. The vet gave me two wafer like pills. Well she actually sold them to me. Give one to the dog the day you get them and one a month later. OZ is still weird, but has no fleas. Sure beats the sprays and baths. Don't stop the Frontline, since it's good for ticks etc.

5. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Back in the 60s I worked for a vet. He would give the dogs a flea dip. It was about $25.00 back than. He would wet the dog down as if giving it a bath and then pour the dip over the dog from the head to the tail. All it was was Pine Sol mixed with warm water, it used to be on the back of the bottle. It turns the water a milk white. It's something like one cap ful to a Qt. of water. It will not hurt the dog but you will see the fleas fall off as you pour it over the dog. Then give the dog a bath. You might be able to find it on the web somewhere.

6. la angler

la angler Member

Try to get a pill at your vet that is called Comfortis.I have used it on my dogs with no side effects.You give it once a month,but mine usually last for about seven weeks.Once you give them the pill,fleas are gone in a few hours.

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

If she is an inside dog- you have fleas in the house- you will need to "bomb" it.

If frontline isnt working it is because there is something where she keeps getting exposed to new fleas continually

There is at least one and maybe more oral drugs that can also be given but they probably have some toxicity- see a vet if the bomb thing doesnt work

Regards from Iowa

Gene

8. nipper

nipper TS Member

trifexus every 30 days, vet can give 1 dose of a medicine to kill fleas on him/her now...

9. NealSS

NealSS Member

O.K Dont Laugh Simply cover your dog In Original Palmolive dishwashing soap! Cover the complete body and watch them jump and die immedaitly, on the spot !MY uncle used to run fox hounds and we dipped the dogs twice a year NO ticks or fleas

10. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Palmolive dishwashing soap is strong stuff, I'm sure fleas would not like it, my hand is allergic to it.

11. shadow

shadow Active Member

Give the dog a bath with warm water and Dawn dishwashing liquid. Wash bedding with the same.

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

we used the flea collars, then we found out the Shell no pest strips had the same ingredients. bought one strip, cut in 3 pieces and attached to collar with a zip tie.

No mo fleas.

but you might have to shampoo the carpet.

HM

13. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Boric acid will kill the fleas. Get the large size. sprinkle on your carpet and anywhere inside house that your animal roams. Just gettin them off the dog wont solve your problem. The borox kills the flea larve and breaks the cycle. Google dog fleas and do your research. Diatamous earth will do the same as the Borox. The small crystals cut the exoskeleton of the larvae and kill it. This is also good for ants inside your house.

14. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Like Gene says...You will need to Bomb your house.

Not easy to do but effective if you buy the EXPENSIVE bombs.

Don't mess with the cheap ones, also, cover everything well and leave the house.

Ventilate and vacuum well after and that should do it.

Regards....Gerald

15. Sccja57

Sccja57 Member

We took a different approach and treated the yard. Bought the Spectricide yard treatment and put it out twice a year and used put cedar shaving in our plant beds covered with pine straw. Have had no flea problems the past five years-BTW we have two outside dogs and three inside.

16. DONNE

DONNE Member

Are you sure its fleas? Reason I ask is because dogs will scratch if they have an alergic reaction to something too. Has anything changed that the dogs are exposed to. Dry skin will cause them to scratch too.

Our "big girl" would scratch til she bled , roll in the grass and have hive like patches on her skin. Didn't see any fleas on her. Her 2 litter mates had no problems. Our vet suggested changing her food. What a difference! Now she's a "plump" , happy bird finding machine ...........

17. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Yeah, they are fleas. I've sprayed the house with the "Knockout E.S." that I got from the Vet. I will try that one more time before I bomb the house. And I'm going to try a couple more of the suggestions listed above. Thanks.

Thanks for the tips guys.

18. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

#2 for the Comfortis. My pup had fleas last year, and had a terrible time with scratching and biting herself. Less than a week after the first Comfortis pll, no more scratching and biting. It costs a fair bit, but it surely works!

If you live where there were drought conditions this year, these are most probably grass fleas.I had a problem with them about 24-25 years ago, where the dog and my 2 year old son would have them all over after playing out in the yard. I mowed the grass super short, then used a spray made up of a powdered insecticide recommended by an entomologist I knew.(Can't remember the name - too many years) The carpets in the house were dusted with the insecticide, then vacuumed; same with the dogs bed. The dog got a bath with flea shampoo recommended by the vet each week for a month, and my son got stripped naked before coming in the house for several days, and his gear washed in hot water and borax. That all cured the problem after a while, but we realized that there were fleas jumping onto our legs, too, when we were outside, so we had to inspect our legs every time we came in from outside, for a while.

Good luck with your dog.

19. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

To get rid of the fleas, as opposed to merely killing the ones currently infesting the dog, you have to break the life cycle so that new ones aren't constantly arriving to replace the ones you are killing. That's the whole point of Frontline and Advantage and so on. I can't understand why the Frontline isn't getting the job done unless somehow your local fleas have developed a generational genetic ability to survive it. I don't give it to my dogs when I'm not seeing fleas, only when I see some new ones. Maybe try Advantage or one of the other products that interrupts the viability of eggs that are laid and see if the different product works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

fool proof flea treatment