1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Flat shooting 1100T

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SCL, Nov 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SCL

SCL Member

I shoot trap pretty informally and just started again about 3 months ago after a 15 year layoff. Shoot 1100 Field guns mostly and average 21-22 from the 16. Went to my local shop and low and behold he has an 1100 Trap-T in my price range with a MC stock. Well, this can't do anything but help right? I finally got to shoot it last night and ran my first 12. Dang, the holy grail LOL! I the went 7/13. Next round a rousing 11!!! WTF?? My 3rd round I shot one of my field guns and hit 22. SO I had to try the trap again. Last round was a 20 when I figured out I dang near had to cover the bird to hit them. I watched my son shoot a round with the trap and he was having the same problem missing low. Should this gun shoot this flat??? I put it on paper right after I got it and it was definitely flat then too, just didn't want to believe it. Is this fairly common of the Trap-T"s?

Scott

2. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

SCL:

IMO you need to shoot any new gun at least 1000 times before making a judgment on how the gun performs for you.

I started with an 870 field grade and moved to an 1100 field grade. I was shooting 23's and 24's with the 1100 field grade and then I bought an 870 TA trap.

I was disappointed at first but in a few months the 870 TA really began to feel great.

I have shot that 870 TA for over 25 years, especially at turkey (games) shoots and have won a fair amount with it. I have replaced the original 30" full barrel with a 30" over bored barrel from an 870 TC Trap. With the Trap Super Full choke it has 55 points if constriction and will really reach out and touch a target, even with 1 oz of 8's.

For ATA, I now shoot an 11/87 Premier trap with the over bored barrel. I started shooting it last year (it was in the safe since 1988) and am beginning to shoot it well.

Give your 1100 Trap a fair trial and you may come to like it.

I have tried high shooting guns and they are not my style. I like to see the target, swing through the target and smash it hard.

Forget looking at the bead (if you are) and simply smash the target like you were swinging a bat at a baseball. IMO, You can't aim a bat or a shotgun.

Ed Ward

3. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

They are flat shooters. Aim higher or stack your beads.

4. SCL

SCL Member

I agree on shooting it more. I'm just glad tht I don't have an anomoly. I'll try and shoot the crap out of it whenever I can! With the MC stock the beads always stack or you can see a tad of rib between them, depending on how you mount it. I'm working on that. I don't pay much mind to the beads anyway, so maybe that's good. Thanks for the quick replies. I love this site!!

Scott

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Don't guess where the gun shoots. Test it from a solid rest at 13 yards. Stacking the beads had nothing directly to do with where the gun shoots. Try making the front sight nothing but a blurred thing that is in your way and just look at the target.

Pat Ireland

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Get a hold of Tron on this website and ask him how much he'd charge to put an adjustable comb on it. He does nice work.

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

My 1100TT is a flat-shooter, too. As you can see, the comb has to be raised considerably for me.

Ed

[​IMG]

8. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Looks like A Timney trigger.

9. AveragEd

Yep - Timney release.

If you like that 1100, you'll also take a shine to my 870TC. Remington's Custom Shop made the wood for it from All-American blanks. By the way, it's a flat-shooter, too.

Ed

[​IMG]

10. Garry

Garry Active Member

AverageEd,

Who did the adjustable comb on your 1100 & 870?

11. AveragEd

A gentleman in Berks County, PA who asks that I not mention his name in my articles or online as it generates too much work for him. But I have another craftsman near Hanover, PA who does nice work and builds stocks as well. If you'd like his contact info, let me know.

Ed

12. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Thanks Brian. If you are interested in an adjustable comb, I can do it for $180 minus the 10% off ($16) that I'm offereing to TS.com posters. So, $162 plus shipping. This is with my own brass hardware.

Joe

13. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Tron: I hope your stocks are better than your math. Must be "new school".

14. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

My 1100 T shoot flat I hold a bit high and cover the target

15. Wayne of PA

Wayne of PA Member

Well since were showing pictures of 1100 stocks here is mine. It’s pictured without a recoil pad because I am currently in the long process of installing a pitch spacer and a new Kick Eez pad.

I say long process because it’s been something I’ve been playing around with for quite some time. The stock adjuster I installed is made by 100 Straight products. My barrel is made by Hastings and is not a flat shooter.

Average Ed highly recommended the barrel and a must say they are worth the money. I only ever shot mine a few times but hopefully I'll get to shoot it more if I ever get the stock finished. I own two other 1100 barrels. A 26 inch skeet and a 28 inch ribbed barrel with thin wall Briley tubes.

Dale,

16. Eric Mirosavich

Eric Mirosavich Member

While were on 1100 stocks, heres mine. Coupled with the Hastings High Rib, it is not a flat shooter either..

17. Wayne of PA

Wayne of PA Member

Nice 1100 stock Eric. Do you have the custom forearm to match?

Dale

Ed,

When are you going to post the photos of your high gloss 687 wood?

Dale

18. SCL

SCL Member

Shot 125 rounds through it on Sunday averaging 20-21 with it now. It will definitely do its part!!! I have figured out that the pattern is really tight, especially for 16 yard shooting, so you don't have a lot of margin for error. This is a serious exercise in concentration and focus. Feels like you have to shoot at a dime to get the straights. Thanks for all the responses

Scott

19. AveragEd

Dale, I forgot all about that! Hunting season and all, you know. Got two does so far with my crossbow and am taking this afternoon off to hunt with Jason.

I have those photos in my desktop PC and will have to send them to this laptop I take along to work, hopefully tonight.

Ed

20. rocky870

rocky870 TS Member

I have 2 870 TC. Both shot flat, I would not give either one up. Cover the target and enjoy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.