1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Flat birds

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by canada, Apr 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. canada

canada Member

The targets may appear flat because they are thrown too fast. If they are slowed down, generally you can see more face. Of course they still have to go 68km/h.

2. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

We shoot off of promatics and had to put some angle on the pedestal to get more face on the targets, worked pretty well though. John

3. Harold

Harold TS Member

Okay, I'll bite. How is shimming the pedestal different than just adjusting the machine?

4. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Chatbrat, Sounds like they have the machines installed too high in the house and possibly throwing them a little fast.

Jim

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Lower the platform on which the machine sits. This will show more of the target to the shooter. Try it you will like it. HMB

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Hold a lower gun ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

"Hold a lower gun ... WPT ... (YAC) ..." What Bill said plus, lower yer comb a tad. Hap

8. Harold

Harold TS Member

Think about what happens if you lower the pedestal. Let's say your trap is at ground level and you are throwing targets 9 ft high at 10 yards. Now lower the pedestal 6 inches without changing the speed or angle. You will end up with targets 8.5' high at 10 yards. So you raise the trap launch angle to throw the targets 6 inches higher. You now have targets leaving the trap at the same angle as a 9.5' high target launched from ground level. But you will need a little more spring to get them to go 50 yards. You have accomplished your objective of a steeper launch angle to see more face on the target, but you could accomplish the same thing by just throwing 9.5' targets from ground level. Better yet, just shoot the 9' targets where they fly and quit worrying about it.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

I would check a couple of things. First, I prefer the arm, when cocked, to be level with the ground at all posts. If the machine is too high, the targets will be flat. If it is too low, a lot of target face will show but the targets can really be adversely affected by the wind.

Next, I would make sure the trap is set in the house at least very close to 16 yards from post three. If the trap is only 15 yards from post three, the targets will be flat. If the trap is 17 yards from post three, it will throw targets that show a lot of face and are much easier to hit.

Finally, I would make sure that the height pole is accurately set at 26 yards from post three.

If the targets are too flat, I believe you will find one of the three factors above is the cause of the problem. After figuring out the cause of the problem, the easiest remedy for the problem becomes simple. Trying to solve the problem before determining what causes the problem can make things worse.

Pat Ireland

10. harpo_old

harpo_old Guest

i don't know why so many clubs are bent on throwing bad targets,a club i belong to got a new manager and he just had to go to a speed gun to set the targets and targets are way to fast,they go way past the 50yd stake. now some of the guys i shoot with from another town says they are not comming back.A fast target seems to make real screamers out of the angles...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.