1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Flame from 1100 ejection port

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hybrid, Dec 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hybrid

hybrid Member

My son is shooting an 1100 in winter trap league , temps are right around freezing , maybe a little colder. Often he is seeing a little flame, which I assume is from unburnt powder. He said there were a couple time that there was a large amount so much he could see it around the port even after lowering his gun. Any advice or concern about this -- He is shooting factory ammo and was trying out a longer barrel 34" , if any of that might matter -- Thanks , John

2. A201

A201 TS Member

Kinda sounds like handicap loads or gun oil in the action. Try and make sure any gun oil is blown out of the action with an air compressor. Remington dry lube is a fair substitute in the winter for oil. My wife had that problem years ago, she shot mostly big shells for games back then, faster powders and dry lube cured most of her troubles. Roger

3. hybrid

hybrid Member

Thanks -- I tend to run it pretty wet with break free clp and wiped it down externally as well to deal with the freezing rain -- will make sure to run it drier - John

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Happens all the time. HMB

5. willing

willing Member

Watch almost any 1100 at night!

Bill

6. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

1100's are like funny cars....you don't see the flames during the day.

7. Reinz

Reinz Member

I see this magnified in very cold weather with my double when I open quickly.

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Also, European loads seem to make more...

9. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Kinda cool really.

10. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Go duck hunting or just shoot a few shells 1\2 hr. before sunrise (not in a lighted area) in any gun & watch the muzzle you'll be treated to great fireworks, especially the 1st. shot when (if) there is a light coating of oil in the bbl. As noted above slower powders with heavier loads will be more noticeable. Ross Puls

PS If you want an even better display try a couple with black powder, but be sure to wash out your gun with HOT soapy water afterwords & re-oil. Really neat "grin"

11. quartering

quartering Active Member

what happens the first time an 1100 is linked to a 1 million acre, 1 billion dollar wildfire?

12. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

was he shooting RIOs- the blue shells?

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    This is nothing unusual. Generally slow powders are the culprit.

This is why Remington made left hand versions of their 1100 and 1187, even though it's not difficult to switch the safety around. Many shooters did not appreciate seeing a flame in front of their nose.

14. hybrid

hybrid Member

acss -- yes they were the blue Rio Shells -- Thanks to all for input -- I had seen a some of this in the past , but he made it sound a little more spectacular!

15. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

If your a lefty, it can be a real nose hair burner when you're shooting games

Bob

16. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

you should see a 3" mag at dusk when its near zero outside..it looks like someone throwing a near fizzled road flare : ))...wont hurt nothing though

17. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

It happened to me once shooting my own reloads in cold weather.
    There was so much flame coming out of the ejection port that I
    dropped the gun. Scared the hell out of me!

18. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

It happened to me last week. At first I didn't see the flame, I was just aware of a lingering orb of brightness hanging around the ejection port. I say hanging around because it seemed to be there for a little while. Not gushing flames mind you, just an orb.

When I brought the gun down and looked at my empty which was held in the port by a shell catcher, I alomost wondered if it was on fire.

As it happened more and more I noticed it was very cloudy and overcast, everyone was mentioning on how low the light seemed. The temps were around freezing. I was using light loads of 700X. I guess it just happens with 1100's. Now it's not a big deal.

19. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

What strate said - just a great example of why to wear eye protection.

Those blue rio are roamn candles. Bet you wont see as much with say a winchester or remmy round (though still a little).

Ducks

20. hybrid

hybrid Member

Appreciate the info, he is shooting as part of a youth team , safety equipment mandatory. thanks, John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ar15 flames ejection port

flame out of the ejection port