1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Flags at half staff for Houston????????

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by yakimaman, Feb 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Just saw a newspaper article saying the NJ governor has ordered the flags at all gov't buildings lowered to halfstaff to honor Whitney Houston. Not the NJ flag, the US flag, lowered to honor a drug addicted (albeit talented) singer. Aren't there policy guidelines for the US flag?

2. oz

oz Active Member

I don't remember!!! they must have lowered the flag for Elvis. anyone remember?
    oz

3. avery53

avery53 Member

I think Christie had his head up his a$$ on this one.

4. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Here are the guidelines on that.

No. Section 7m of the Flag Code authorizes a governor to half-staff the US flag upon the death of a present or former official of the government of the state, or the death of a member of the Armed Forces from that state who dies while serving on active duty.

The President, by comparison, is authorized to half-staff the US flag by proclamation upon the death of principal figures of the US Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possession, as well as in the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries.

We recommend flying the state flag at half-staff.

•In the News: Governor Wrong to Have Flag Lowered to Half Staff for Celebrities [February 16, 2012]
    A recent change allows governors to order the flag to half-staff to honor fallen soldiers from their state (see Public Law 110-41). The change was the result of governor proclamations, like this one from Governor Granholm of Michigan.

Some object to this extension of a governor's authority because they feel half-staffing the flag for every fallen soldier can be seen as anti-war. Some feel that overuse cheapens the symbolic power of half-staffing the flag, traditionally reserved for political leaders.

Nothing about lowering for an entertainer. Mike.

5. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Absolutely ridiculous!!!!!

6. yakimaman

Then it's an unlawful directive and local agents should refuse to comply.

7. white rattler

white rattler Member

what a joke. Trevor Dawe.

8. STOS

STOS Member

Christie is a RINO just like his buddy Romney.

9. JayZap

JayZap Active Member

FWIW The 1991 Nat'l Anthem was lip-sync'd. Not a live rendition.

10. larryjk

larryjk Member

I am neutral on lowering the Flag for Whitney Houston. Her voice was right up there with national treasures. Pure like a bell, so beautiful. So unfortunate that she was human and had the frailties that killed her. She certainly was in a special class.

11. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Her rendition of the National Anthem is here:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/whitney-houston-performed-greatest-national-anthem-sports-history-020851426.html

I remember driving up I-5, coming home from a shoot and listening to the Super Bowl on radio and hearing her sing. Memorable!

12. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

While I agree that the singing of the National Anthem was the greatest ever. It was at a time when the U.S was in need of just that power in a voice, and I could not think of anyone else that could have done it better. It inspired us all, with the flags waving, and cheering. I remember it bringing tears to my eyes. I was literally shaking from the adrenaline rush. It was very emotional. It was the first thing I thought of when the wife came in, and told me she had passed. Imagine the message that sent around the world. That being said, I believe that the Flag being lowered should be reserved for what the meaning was originally meant for, otherwise it degrades the meaning of members past, and in the future.

On second thought, maybe that rendition of the Anthem, in that moment, would classify her as such a person to be honored in that way. Then it would be up to the President to do so, because it would be a National related order. The State order would not be right in my opinion, because then it would be more from the entertainment recognition standpoint. Either way it will be controversial, because it will be a judgement call. Jon

13. yakimaman

You guys are nuts.... they're lowering the flag of this nation to honor a drug addicted singer who probably (waiting for toxicology) od'd and drowned in her own bathtub because she did a great job singing the Star Spangled Banner at a goddamn football game???????????????????? You have to be shitting me!

rm

14. porky

porky TS Member

I'd say that it is a black thing and others wouldn't understand. Me personally, I don't understand.

15. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

ditto the two above posts

Bill

16. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Well said yakimaman.

Just another crack head gone, but not forgotten. Just cause she sang the National Anthem, she was still just a singing druggie.

GneJ

17. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

A complete slap in the face to those who earned the honor of having a flag flown at half mast. All gave some....some gave all. These are the people who earned it.

Cristie should feel the backlash of this poor decision.

As for the 1991 Anthem, lip synched or not it was respectful and good. It was the last good choice the National Felon League made. Never ceased to be amazed at what stupid halftime entertainment they choose year after year. But then look at the crowd you're catering to and that's what you get back. (the finger)

18. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

When I opened this I thought it was a joke and then wife said no it is for real. I can't even believe this. The mentality of some never cease to amaze me. I do not care what color, sex or nationality this is wrong.

19. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

I'm not sure if anyone is racist or bigoted but can't we recognize that the woman was sick! The flag thing may be off base but the attacks on the recently deceased are wrong. I'm sure that she never hurt a single one on TS.com

Joe

20. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

I can see lowing the flags to half staff for a person who has served this country.

BUT for a celebrity, NO WAY, unless they fit the above.

I'll go even farther and say that NO Politician should being give half staff flags unless they fit the above.

In my life time, I do not know of to many Politicians that deserve that honor. They are no different then a celebrity in my book.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.