1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

**** FLAG QUESTIONS ****

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by whatta_attitude, Oct 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whatta_attitude

whatta_attitude TS Member

Jerry when I buy a brand new cloth flag the first thing I do is spray it with spray starch to reflect weather and heat..cost is under a dollar but worth every dime.
    Sandie

2. eagles11

eagles11 TS Member

When we retire a flag we call a local crematorium and they hold the flags until they have a US Hero to process. At that time the flags are properly retired with the US Hero who's ashes are returned to the family.

The first time this happened was with my dad and when they told me of this procedure it brought tears to my eyes as it seems fitting for both to be together at the end.

Remember and pray for our troops!!

Jack Burch

3. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

As was mentioned above, flags are burned and similarly, I purchase a new one thru the VFW when I drop off the old one. My preference is for the ones with the sewn stars and our VFW charges $25 for @ 3'x5'.

While I applaud your use of light as required to fly a flag at night, do you recover the "Stars & Stripes" during inclement weather as recommended? I would offer that if you recover the flag until the inclement weather passes, then unfurl the flag when clear weather returns, that might also extend its life?! Regardless, I imagine the hot temperatures bake the fabric.

Up here (Chicago) due to the ever-changing weather, it seems I'm taking my house flag down and putting it up every-so-often, but that's what I was taught. Our range is owned by our parks department - so any tattered corners or tears are reported and they are very diligent about replacing flags. While lighted, they do not recover flags during inclement weather.

Jay Spitz

4. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

old flags are turned over to the VFW. I buy my flags at my congressman's office, These have been flown over the Capitol Bldg. About 15.00 each got your choice of rayon or cotton. Various sizes avalible.

5. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

No VFW where I live. The American Legion also retires flags. We collect them all year long and, retire them every Memorial Day.

6. ks5shooter

ks5shooter Member

Valley forge flag company,made in America and they last.They make every kind of flag you will need....Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.