1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fla tells docs guns are not their business?

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by wireguy, May 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Florida Bill Would Prohibit Doctors From Asking Patients About Their Guns

Published May 10, 2011

| FoxNews.com

FILE: Florida Gov. Rick Scott announces his new budget during a Tea Party event in Eustis, Fla., on Feb. 7.

AP

FILE: Florida Gov. Rick Scott announces his new budget during a Tea Party event in Eustis, Fla., on Feb. 7.

With a stroke of the governor's pen, Florida is positioned to become the first state in the nation to prohibit physicians from asking patients if they have guns in their homes, a move some doctors say will interfere with health care.

The Florida Senate passed House Bill 155 last month by a 27-10 vote and the measure now awaits the signature of Republican Gov. Rick Scott. If signed, it would ban doctors from asking about the presence of guns or ammunition in the home.

Republican State Rep. Jason Brodeur, a sponsor of the bill, proposed the legislation following an incident in which a Florida pediatrician told a mother to find another doctor when she refused to answer questions about guns in her home.

Supporters of the legislation, including the National Rifle Association, say they're seeking to stop doctors from invading their privacy. Critics of the bill, however, claim that doctors need to ask patients about guns to ensure their safety and to make sure they remain out of the reach of children.

"The [bill], if enacted, would limit pediatricians’ capacity to do what they do best -- compassionately and effectively care for children," read a March 30 statement released by The American Academy of Pediatrics. "Because unintentional injuries continue to be the leading cause of death in children older than 1 year, pediatricians play a key role in injury prevention by providing anticipatory guidance to parents during office visits to help minimize the risk of injury in the child’s everyday environment."

Marion Hammer, former president of the NRA, said passage of the bill "sends a message" that the privacy of patients and whether they are gun owners has nothing to do with medical care.

"The bill sends a message that the privacy rights of patients have absolutely nothing to do with medical care and is not within the purview of any doctor," she told FoxNews.com. "If it's a safety issue, there's nothing in the law to prohibit them from disseminating that information."

Hammer, who was referring to the bill's good-faith exception for concerns about the safety of the patient or others, said the measure passed easily because pediatricians "brought their gun politics into examination rooms."

"Pediatricians should not ask anybody about gun ownership," she said. "It has nothing to do with treatment and medical care. Whether or not I own a gun has nothing to do with influenza or if I have a broken leg."

Calls seeking comment from Brodeur were not immediately returned Tuesday.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/05/10/florida-outlaws-asking-patients-guns-awaits-governors-signature/#ixzz1M0V40pEG

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Good. Enough of this politically motivated horsecrap.

3. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

The last time I needed blood work I told the nurse filling out the form to have them test for lead. She said she needed to know why. I figured that was a fair question simply because the test would be paid for by an insurance company and I guessed they needed to know they were paying for the test for a reason and just not a whim. So I told the nurse and several others in hearing distance than I operated a small arms ammunition factory in my basement. You should of seen the looks; but I was amused, not offended.

Then the nurse told me if I flunked the test they would have to report it the County Health Department, and they would need to test the other members of my family and inspect my house for the source of the contamination. Checking the other members of my family seemed prudent so I had no objection to that. But the County Health Department would need a warrant before they got in my house.

4. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Don't those lame brains realize that a gun in the home is a threat to the entire community? Imagine a gun in the hands of a hormone imbalanced teen or menapausal woman. Heaven forbid the proverbial gunfight between the two aforementioned. We must have an accurate barometer to properly assess potentially dangerous situations, not the least of which is providing authority's with information helpful in doing home inspections to insure the safety of occupants who may unwittingly fail to secure their weapons properly.

I would further propose that Doctor's and hospitals be required to provide patient lists and outcomes arising from mis-diagnosis's, botched treatments and surgery's, hospital born infections etc. Particularly those that lead to permanent debility or death. Of course this information should be publicly posted. Certainly the damages caused by physicians outweighs the many patients whose suffering was eased or whose lives were saved. Scalpels and other surgical instruments need to be registered and kept out of the hands of incompetents, perhaps under lock and key only to be issued to card carrying surgeons upon proof of immedate need, to be returned immediately after use.

Let's face it, we are a helpless society dependent on Government to regulate every aspect of ours lives. It is unthinkable to feed at the government trough and not report every aspect of our ever grateful lives. Freedom is an illusion fostered by Dodo bird conservatives and will fade from the history books when the last ones are extinct.

Long live Soros.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.