1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FJ OWNERS

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by short shucker, Feb 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

The fact that Toyota is phasing them out out to tell you something. Poor visibility and all too rough of a ride just for starters.

ss

2. eric

eric TS Supporters TS Supporters

Had mine for two plus years - and will have it for many more. And I would buy it again!

Eric

3. traedawg

traedawg TS Member

Dont own one but like how they look.
    Dawg

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

The thing I absolutely LOVED about my FJ is that it went from zero to 60 in 2.95 seconds, got 42 miles to the gallon, and could do highway miles all day long without getting uncomfortable. We are talking about Yamahas, right?

-Gary

5. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

My wife drives one. I would consider another in a second. I like the tough seat material which is one reason we bought it for the wiemmy to ride in with us. Fair gas mileage. Never been back to the dealer.

6. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

watch out for them walls

7. 2 Labs

2 Labs TS Member

I love mine.3 years old in July.First thing I did was to replace the Dunlop tires with Goodyear Wranglers.Then K&N air charger and Flowmaster exhaust.I have a Snowsport plow also.Been on several trips the longest one to Denver with the hounds in the back with no problems.It's my do anything go anywhere vehicle and it's here to stay since it has the plow.I would buy another.

8. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

Tough Ride NO Way, My daughter has an explorer My FJ rides like a dream compared to the Ford, simply LOVE mine, I have a 4' table spanning the rear wheel wells inside, it creates a shelf for My guns and all my shells and gear goes under the table, plus I use the built in tie downs to hold everything in place. Best vehicle I ever had, matter of fact the VP of Toyoya made a statement a few Months back saying that the Fj is one of the best vehicles that Toyota ever built, He even said that for the Money is is built better than the 4Runner and even better than their Land Cruiser, there was some controversy on why He would even state that because the 4 runner and cruiser are Higher priced vehicles<a href="http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n37/drhuner/?action=view&current=TrapShooter.gif" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a><a href="http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n37/drhuner/?action=view&current=flytargt.gif" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a><a href="http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n37/drhuner/?action=view&current=USB90TOS172A0.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

9. Erik W

Erik W Member

I looked them over pretty carefully before I decided on a 2010 4Runner. Harsh ride, poor mileage, major blind spot, sideswing tailgate w/spare, useless suicide back doors and only way to get any meaningful cargo space is to remove back seats. That dog wouldn't hunt for me at times when I need to carry 2 dog boxes and gear. That said, it is probably the most capable off-road vehicle on US market today. Like to think correctly optioned 4Runner might be close second.

10. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

My son bought one, traded it off in 6 months. He hated everything about it and especially no power

11. CalvinMD

In the immortal words of George of the Jungle...."Watch out for that Tree!!!" ...oops..must be the floormat again

12. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Calvin, I don't care who you are "thats Funny" LOL Bill

13. CalvinMD

I couldn't figure out how to spell the Jungle call Bill

14. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Had a '71 FJ40 and a '74 FJ55. First valve jobs by 20K. Put chevy valves and seats in and they ran 100K more. No power is an understatement, unless in 4X4 low. The thing I like best about them is that they are gone! I saw the "Budweiser" labels in the inner door panels and "Keds" labels in the tires. Both rusted out, even with rustproofing, etc. They were OK off road, but not for urban use or long hills.

15. eric

eric TS Supporters TS Supporters

Seems some people are talking about the new FJ Cruiser and some are talking about the old FJ models. No comparison between the two.

16. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Eric,

What's relevant is that my previous experience would influence my decision to avoid the present day version. I'd avoid ALL "yodas" at the moment, until they get some religion and sort out what's been swept under the carpet. Back when I bought mine, there was a distinct price advantage in their favor. I did get what I paid for. They were also way ahead of their time, being biodegradable. They turned into large piles of iron oxide within about 20 years. That process began the day of manufacture. The new models have more bells and whistles, a couple of more cylinders, and NO price advantage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.