1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fixing where shotgun points.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bill Stern, Sep 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Stern

Bill Stern Member

My shotgun shoots about 90% high, which is good, but it shoots slightly to the right, which is not good. Any ideas or suggestions on how to make it shoot straight?

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Adjustable comb moved to the right will move your POI to the left. I think. I'm drawing a blank(brain fart) right now. I can't remeber if its move the way you want it or move opposite way. Sorry----Matt

3. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Move your comb to the left

4. grntitan

Thanks blkcloud!!! You ever have one of those moments when you are so sure that you are unsure? LOL Matt

5. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

If it shoots to the right while looking straight down the rib, moving the comb left will help, but can you tolerate shooting while looking somewhat sideways down the rib? I don't think most of us could. If it were my gun, I'd bend the barrel.

6. grntitan

I could never get myself to try the ACME barrel bender. I have heard many stories of people who have though.

grntitan_2009_250342.jpg

7. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Matt, the reason I know is that I moved mine the wrong way yesterday.. now ask me next week and i'll give the wrong answer..hahaha..

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Moving the comb to the right or left will align your eye so it is looking straight down the barrel. If you are looking straight down the barrel, moving the comb is not the way to move the POI. All that will do is misalign the middle and front sight. Moving the comb only moves the position of your eye.

Pat Ireland

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

You can indulge yourself with whatever half-measures you choose, but there's only one fix, only one right way to do things. . .

Neil

10. grntitan

Neil--I even provided a good tree above. LOL----Matt

11. Psycho

Psycho TS Member

Pat,If Moving the comb only moves the position of your eye. Then how dose raising the comb make your gun shoot higher?

12. 20yard

20yard TS Member

Well when you move your eye up relative to the end of the barrel the line of shot is now inclined upwards. Think of your eye is the rear sight on a fixed sight rifle, move up shoot higher.

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

Psycho- Raising the comb results in the gun shooting higher by raising the position of your eye. If you look at an adjustable comb, what else could it do but change the position of your eye relatively to the barrel. Your eye is the rear sight.

Moving the comb right/left is the way one positions his/her eye (the rear sight) so that the rear sight, barrel and front sight are aligned. This alignment is checked by the position of the mid bead to the front sight when looking down the barrel.

Pat Ireland

14. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

It ain't a rifle..................move it to the left HARHARHARYUKYUK
    D.P.Reynolds

15. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Make absolutely sure the beads line up correctly every time you monut the gun. To do this properly is close your eyes mount your gun as you would when shooting a target, now open your eyes and what is the sight picture? Now do this several times, close your eyes mount the gun as you normally would then open your eyes, is the sight picture correct. After 5 mounts this way you should know if your sight picture is correct for you.

If it is OK proceed to the 13 yard pattern sheet and draw a cross, now mount and shoot the gun it should print perfectly vertically, not to one side or the other, you should do this off a reast.

I agree with Pat Ireland and this will back up what he says, the above procedure should be your first step in setting up your gun.

If it shoots off to one side the Bbl needs to be corrected or if it is a choke tube model try na different tube and see if it corrects the POI.

I have done this procedure many times with many different guns to get optimum results.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

16. 20yard

20yard TS Member

I had a chance to tour the Krieghoff factory and they showed me the barrel bending jig, it really isnt tremendously more sophisticated than Neil's tree. But the guy decides straight by looking down the barrel and seeing concentric rings in the ID. It appeared he picked the point for bending by the same view then sliding the barrel in the wheel jig to contact that point to apply force, I'm not sure with the tree method do you pick a point along the length or just apply a bend and see the effect?

17. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Like 20yard says, you can see your rings in the barrel really good by de-priming a 20 gauge hull and put it in the muzzle end of your barrel. De-prime a 12 gauge hull and put it in the chamber end, and look through the primer hole from the chamber end. You should see perfect circles down the barrel.

Wayne

18. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Wayne,

Using the method you describe, what will a bent or slightly bent barrel look like?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

fixing a shotgun shoots high