1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

fixing small dings on stock finish

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by acss, Mar 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i have a nicely finished custom stock with gloss shine- i have several small surface dings( nothing deep) that are the size of a pencil dot! is there anything for touchup as a easy quick fix, instead of a total refinish?

2. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Perhaps, try gloss fingernail polish dispensed off of the head of a pin. Keep it to a minimal. Swear I read somewhere, that a GUN is JUST a TOOL though !

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Brownells sells lacquer sticks, which are made for this purpose.

4. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I would find out what finish is used on the stock first. Some finishes are very difficult to repair. You could make it worse.

5. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

I do this kind of work all the time with good results. I'm hesitent to offer how to advise least I be blamed for a ruined stock.

Typicaly I charge from $25 to $75 for this kind of work. I either use catalized clearcoat and an air gun or super glue.

I always end up buffing the entire stock. If your not carefull you can go through the finish ruining the whole stock's finish.

If the dings have turned white your probably out of luck and will have to consider a full refinish.
    Joe

6. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

thanks- i will keek you in mind - please email me with your address - mvalley@rpt.coop

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.