1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FIXING BULGE RINGS IN A SHOTGUN BARREL?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BAD 303, Jan 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Has anyone had bulge rings in a shotgun barrel repaired? If so who did it? Will they have any effect on the pattern if continued shooting? They are about 8" apart and are perfect rings around the barrel. It is an auto not an o/u. Thanks for any info.

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I dunno, if it was my gun I would not shoot it but shop for a new barrel instead.

3. k3uro

k3uro Member

Hi,

I would push out a dent but do not believe you be advised to push an expansion back in?

The damage is done, I would just get a new barrel?

How did the damage occur?

Take care,

Jim

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

What caused the rings to form? HMB

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

What kind of barrel, and where are the rings?

6. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Not to be rude, but...

gw22_2008_030313.jpg

Why risk safety over a barrel that's already ruined?

-Gary

7. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Guys the barrel is not ruined as it has been shot this way for over a year shooting 3 1/2" shells waterfowl hunting. And i have no idea what caused the rings as they are both in front(muzzle end) of the gas lug and are about 8" apart. Thanks

8. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Had a Win. 101 magnum with bulge in lower barrel. Outside diameter at bulge was about .040 over original diameter. Talked with barrel guru's and both said metal elastic limits had been exceeded and barrel was junk as is. Cut barrel to less than 28" and it now is a pretty good duck gun with steel shot under 30 yards. A weakened barrel just is not worth fooling with.

9. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

A barrel bugle is from an obstruction, more than likely.

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Replace the barrel. Especially with heavy shells being used in it.

11. f18

f18 Member

You can buy a bulge remover. They come in all the gauges,can't think of the name of the vender, you may want to google it.

12. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

If it is a bulge just replace the barrel, man

A replacement auto barrel is likely less than the labor to have it fixed.

13. missed some

missed some TS Member

rings are not bulges, clean your barrel really good, look down it and you will see rings, can also tell which way pattern is gonna go, left, right, up or down. an old indian trick. Now bulges are a different story........mark

14. GW22

GW22 Active Member

They were described as "bulge rings." The barrel saw an incredible pressure -- high enough that it exceeded the metal's yield strength. You can not see what damage may have been done in other areas and you can not predict when it might let go. The testing to determine these things would cost much more than a new barrel. Please do yourself and your loved ones a favor and destroy the barrel so nobody can ever be hurt by it's eventual rupture.

-Gary

15. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Can you feel them on the outside of the bbl?

yes? Problem; see above.

You can see lots of things looking inside a bbl, some are just reflections.

16. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Both rings are about 20 thousands out when miced with a bore gauge. This barrel is not a cheap auto barrel it is a 600.00 barrel. It has been shot all this past waterfowl season with hevi shot and black cloud ammo by a guy that hunts everyday and probably shot somewhere around 300 3 1/2" shells thru it this season. He has no idea when they developed or why. It looks to me to be a base wad type obstruction but that is strictly a guess by the size of the rings. The gun is a camo gun and they are very hard to see unless you look down the side of the barrel or rub your hands up and down the barrel. He killed two geese the day we hunted together and i was looking at the gun when i felt the first bulge ring and after further inspection i found the second one.

17. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

No need to ask for help one here. I have had one rolled back and never had any trouble
    first shot barrel metal is soft its not like rifle barrel metal. the bulge area is going to be harder than rest of barrel.

18. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

The $600 barrel might be good for a few more bulges before your friend gets a catastrophic barrel failure. He will have to decide what is cheaper $600 or reconstructive hand surgery.

19. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

I am not the least bit concerned about the barrel rupturing unless something else gets lodged. My concern more than anything for him is why they are happening. If it is a shell problem i would like to know what shelles to avoid that is for sure.

20. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Those without formal education and experience in engineering/metallurgy really need to refrain from giving dangerous advice on such a serious topic.

Ricks1, I'm sorry but you don't know what you're talking about.

-Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bulge in shotgun barrel

bulged shotgun barrel repair

how to repair a bulged shotgun barrel
how to take bulge out of shotgun barrel
repair bulge in shotgun barrel
repairing bulged shotgun barrel

shotgun barrel bulge

shotgun barrel bulge repair