1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fixed x scope for .25-06 opinions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kiwiG, May 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Hi Guys, I am looking at .25-06 for some mountain (not bush) deer shooting later this year. The rifle will be good quality 2nd hand (Rem, Ruger) or budget new (Savage/Stevens). I prefer fixed power scopes and have a 6x Burris on my 541-T largely unused. Am I better to swap the scope between rifles, or buy something a little more powerful (8x or 10x) for the centrefire. I also prefer Burris/Leupold/Weaver but will need to buy 2nd hand to stay within limited budget. Any help is appreciated so that I can keep an eye out on the auction sites and gunstores. Thanks in advance-Graham.

2. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Ditto on the 10X for the same reasons.

Jeff

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I am a big fan of the 6x Leupold with VXIII glass. You don't need more magnification that this. I have one on my 7 mag and have done a lot of open country deer hunting with that combo as well as a couple of in your face bull elk. Never thought the scope was too little or too much.

4. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Thanks Guys. The rifle is purely business...a friend will take me hunting and I keep what I shoot and carry out. Once upon a time I was a fair rifle shot, but have no illusions about my ability...max 200m off dead rest, max 100m prone, max 50m offhand...and I'll be praying even at those numbers. It seems as the feeling is 6x isn't quite enough, and there isn't much choice in the 10x catagory...may compromise @ 8x...plenty of 3-9vari's out there, but they are just not my thing. Kind Regards-Graham. edit-I wrote this post before reading Wolfram's.-G.

5. kansas pete

kansas pete TS Member

6X is plenty. 4x would be ok.
    Pete

6. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

Simple answer...10x is the most versatle I have found, shoot one today on my Rem .308 and also on my varmit .223...Leuopld VXIII target knobs/mildot on both...Larryb

7. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

6X is more than enough for what you plan.

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

A good quality 6X will weigh less which may be an important factor in mountain hunting, would be for me!! Something you must carry all day for one split second shot?

Hap

9. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

200 yards? You should just get a low magnification fixed power scope. If you have the time I would just swap the scopes. Save you a few dollars and it's not like sighting in the .22 again would be any big deal.
    I could fill a semi with the deer and elk I have killed with a 4x scope when that was all I had and mom and dad were doing the scope buying.

I dont like to mess with stuff so i would buy another scope. The new Redfield Line is made by Leupold and you can get a variable for 150.00. They work great for the money and have a good warranty as well. You might check them out. Jeff

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    My Browning 1885 Single Shot in 25-06 has a Leupold 6.5-20x target scope on it. And yes, I've shot deer with it at 20x. Longest was 365 yards as measured with a rangefinder. It's primary purpose, though, is for long range coyote hunting.

11. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have a compact Burris- 6X with adjustable objective I would sell

regards from Iowa

Gene

12. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

There are times when a high-magnification scope can be an advantage and there are times when they can be a disadvantage. When a long shot presents itself and you have a good steady rest for the rifle, they're great. But if you can hold a 10x or higher magnification scope steady offhand at longer ranges or find the vital area of a deer a 50 yards with one, you're a far better shooter than most people I know. I tried the latter once by accident with a 4-12x set on 12x with a deer at 75 yards and let's just say it sometimes is better to be lucky than good.

Remember that to hit a target, you first have to see it well. If I were in your situation, I would spend the money for a good high-magnification variable. And I practice what I preach - all my rifles that might sometime see a long shot at big game wear Leupold 4.5-14x AO VX-3s (including two .25-06s). When I use one here in Pennsylvania and get a shot at under 100 yards, I'm always glad I have the lower settings.

I'm having a 25" .280 Ackley Improved made right now and there is a new 4.5-14x VX-3 with a 30mm tube and side focus parallax adjustment in the safe waiting for the barreled action to arrive in about two weeks.

Good luck with whatever you select!

Ed

13. alchemist

alchemist TS Member

Stay with the 6X. The magnification is plenty for anything out to 300 yards and the field of view is important. Your field of view will be reduced at higher magnifications.

Bob

14. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

My opinion of variable scopes is the same as choke tubes.
    Just another thing to screw with that can go bad at the worst possible moment.
    Get a good 6x and forget about it.
    There usually good used ones for sale on gun broker and e-bay.

15. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Hi Guys, When I was younger I shot a lot of varmints, from up close to out yonder...killed most of them dead, wounded to death some, and missed some. It is my intention to only take shots where I can more-or-less guarantee a clean kill...this will be reflected in the ranges my shots are taken. I will keep a lookout for a 2nd hand good quality 6x, wouldn't turn my nose up at an 8x, and if I found a nice 4x I'll put it on my .22 and switch the 6x over. If I had the time and opportunity for some bunny-busting I would not hesitate to go for a vari-power to enjoy the benefits of the higher x's. Thank you to all those who have taken the time to post or PM. Kind Regards-Graham Hunter, Christchurch, New Zealand.

16. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have a compact Burris- 6X with adjustable objective I would sell

regards from Iowa

Gene

17. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

There are times when a high-magnification scope can be an advantage and there are times when they can be a disadvantage. When a long shot presents itself and you have a good steady rest for the rifle, they're great. But if you can hold a 10x or higher magnification scope steady offhand at longer ranges or find the vital area of a deer a 50 yards with one, you're a far better shooter than most people I know. I tried the latter once by accident with a 4-12x set on 12x with a deer at 75 yards and let's just say it sometimes is better to be lucky than good.

Remember that to hit a target, you first have to see it well. If I were in your situation, I would spend the money for a good high-magnification variable. And I practice what I preach - all my rifles that might sometime see a long shot at big game wear Leupold 4.5-14x AO VX-3s (including two .25-06s). When I use one here in Pennsylvania and get a shot at under 100 yards, I'm always glad I have the lower settings.

I'm having a 25" .280 Ackley Improved made right now and there is a new 4.5-14x VX-3 with a 30mm tube and side focus parallax adjustment in the safe waiting for the barreled action to arrive in about two weeks.

Good luck with whatever you select!

Ed

18. alchemist

alchemist TS Member

Stay with the 6X. The magnification is plenty for anything out to 300 yards and the field of view is important. Your field of view will be reduced at higher magnifications.

Bob

19. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

My opinion of variable scopes is the same as choke tubes.
    Just another thing to screw with that can go bad at the worst possible moment.
    Get a good 6x and forget about it.
    There usually good used ones for sale on gun broker and e-bay.

20. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Hi Guys, When I was younger I shot a lot of varmints, from up close to out yonder...killed most of them dead, wounded to death some, and missed some. It is my intention to only take shots where I can more-or-less guarantee a clean kill...this will be reflected in the ranges my shots are taken. I will keep a lookout for a 2nd hand good quality 6x, wouldn't turn my nose up at an 8x, and if I found a nice 4x I'll put it on my .22 and switch the 6x over. If I had the time and opportunity for some bunny-busting I would not hesitate to go for a vari-power to enjoy the benefits of the higher x's. Thank you to all those who have taken the time to post or PM. Kind Regards-Graham Hunter, Christchurch, New Zealand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

8x fixed for 25 06