1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

fixed vs. choke tubes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by minnship8, Sep 13, 2013.

1. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

Buying a 90 T with a pretty tight fixed choke.

My question is, if I decided I wanted it with less constriction, is there any reason not to have Briley thin walls installed vs opening it up to a different fixed choke?

Thanks,

Chip

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You could buy an adjustable blade choke reamer and take one thousandth out at a time until it is just right. HMB

3. TD1958

TD1958 Member

I didn't know you could to tight of a choke. But then again I don't rely on the fringes of my pattern to break targets. Tim

4. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The tighter the choke the better Like Frank Little said any choke as long as it is a full choke, and I agree.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

5. minnship8

I could only wish to be able to see which part of my pattern was breaking the birds, like Tim can...

But my question was not meant looking for advice on which choke to use, I would have thought that was somewhat clear.

Regards,

Chip

6. TD1958

TD1958 Member

You are right, you could only wish!!!!Tim

7. minnship8

Tim,
    I never minded being around people of superior talent, abilities and intellect...only the ones who thought they were.

Chip

8. TD1958

TD1958 Member

Good come back , LOL. Good luck, Tim

9. lancelot

lancelot Member

Chip,

I'm sure that Gary is right that Frank Little said " Any choke is OK as long as it's full;" however on his tape he also says he has had some work done to his 16 yard barrel. I knew a fellow who shot against Frank and he verified that he indeed had a singles and handicap barrel. The last I knew both, Phil Kiner and Harlan Campbell, used various Krieghoff choke tubes for different situations.

If you feel you might do better with a little more open choke, you might do better with a GOOD set of choke tubes. Just don't do as I do sometimes and think that if a little more open is good then alot more open would be great. 'It don't work that way.'

Ron Ireland

10. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

Please please please don't mess with that factory choke, screw in chokes on trap guns are made to sell more trap guns. ( liquor is made to sell not drink ). You will hurt the value and not improve the score. Just my $.02 and I realize that is what its worth. LOL

11. Crunch

Crunch Member

My brother has a 90T with the factory full choke. The constriction in his is .037.....and it is a hammer. His patterns are nearly perfect. I wouldn't touch a thing.

12. TD1958

TD1958 Member

I shoot a browning with nearly .050 choke from every where on the pad and beyond. Don't like choke tubes, never did. Good Luck, Tim

13. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

All you'll do is mess up a good factory choke. Leave it alone.

14. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Why would you alter the best factory fixed choke barrel ever made? Then add the fact that you have to take out the chokes and clean the threads ever so often, or they will seize in the barrel. They loosen up, and warp sometimes. Then you shoot them out of the barrel, and you have a nice receiver and stock to look at, because finding a replacement barrel would be difficult at best. JMO.

Leave that beauty alone! That is a very nice gun you are buying. If in fact that it is still is a factory original barrel without alterations, makes it rare, and all for the better. Buy one with those alterations you want done already. Plenty of them out there.

15. trapman69

trapman69 Member

To directly answer your question it would be better to have tubes put in then ream the barrel. Once you ream barrel out there is less wall to install choke tubes at a later date if you choose too. This will also greatly effect value tubes will be worth more than a reamed out barrel. And me personally I would pay more money for a fixed full barrel than one with tubes. Keep in mind they do not make these any longer and factory fixed barrels are getting hard to come by. Also while Tim may not have put it delicately I think his point is no matter what the choke. You have your center of pattern the part that breaks bird and your outlying shot pattern which increases the more open your choke. A mod may break more birds for you at 16 than full but that will be because of outlying pellets. You basically can do the same at 16 yrds with the full choke by going to 8 or even 9 shot. I would hate to see a barrel tubed but. Whatever you decide best of luck to you. Tom R

16. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Briley thin walls work extremely well. I'm not good enough to center every shot so I switch to a MOD for singles. Smokes targets. I see no reason to try and hit targets (birds) with 400+ pellets.

PS: I win my fair share. If I lose, and I do my fair share of that also, it has never been the fault of the choke. It's fun to listen to all the would be champions try to do the same as the big dogs, thinking all the while that because Leo or Harland or Bonillas, etc shoots XXXX, that they will do just as well with the same equipment, or that their requiremens for gun, set-up, fit, ammo, etc will be the same. Even more of a hoot is the never ending insistance that there is only one way (their way) to set up and shoot. ie: 7 1/2 or 8, choice of choke, hold point, etc.

After the above comments I fully expect a few to get their head so far up my behind that it will be hard to even fart (LOL). Shoot well but remember, it's a game and it should be fun. Marc

17. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

Most fixed chokes pattern better than screw in. If you are only shooting 16 and short yardage maybe send the barrel to have the choke opened to mod, But for future sales the gun won't be worth as much.
    Rather than screw up the barrel experiment with different wads and shot to open up the pattern for 16. mho

18. windyflat

windyflat Member

love my 870 comps factory choke!

19. minnship8

It seems as though the consensus is that it diminishes gun value.

It's funny, because as I was looking for a gun, people would ask more for guns with things like recoil systems. My thought, was that this was like asking for more for a house with wheelchair ramps. It doesn't bother me to have them, but I won't pay a premium for it.

Thanks for all the well thought out responses guys.

Chip

20. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

My Briley's pattern as well or better than any fixed choke I have put on paper. Mod (.020) for singles and Full (.035) from the 27. I also previously thought fixed were better, not now!!!

Gun modifications outside of Factory Original CAN lower resale appeal, but if done by a skilled smith could ADD to gun value and appeal. If you want it, do it without worry. Chances are that should you want to sell later on Mods will appeal to others as well. Marc