1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

fixed my lawnmower

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Pull & Mark, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I've been having problems with my lawnmower for months now. I've tried most of this and that. It ran OK sometimes while other times ran at reduced power and rough. It got to the point today that it just slowed down enough to stop altogether. I knew it was a carb. related issue with the new ethanol type gas. I Have a toro mower with the Tecumseh engine and I did a search. Bottom line it was the bolt holding the carb. bowl on. It has a small vertical hole down the center to a slightly larger horizontal hole across the bolt. I ran a 23 ga. gun nail (micro nailer) down into the hole while turning it by hand until it went all the way down, cleaned up the bowl and o-ring and reinstalled. It runs great now. I was thinking that I needed to buy a new mower and its to old to take in for repair. I hope this helps someone else save a few bucks as well. Meanwhile I will never use Ethanol type gas on my lawn equip. again. You can still find it if you look. Anyway I'm a happy camper today and had to vent. break em all. Jeff

2. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Way to go Jeff.

3. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

I have been told by the folks at our local lawn equipment sales, never run regular fuel in any lawn equipment, also there is a special fuel additive for fuel with alcohol. The stuff really works. I run a lawn service and know many others as well. We all use the stuff and have little fuel problems. Jake

4. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Every year I have to disassemble the carb on my 4 stroke weed whacker. It runs fine all season once I do that. If I ran racing fuel in it would that solve the alcohol issue? The racing fuel is what all the local dune buggy people use.

5. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Use the above web site to find etOH free gas in your area.

Worth the drive to get a few gallons for the saws, trimmers, etc. that cannot handle the ethanol containing fuels.

6. northern mist

northern mist TS Member

I have a chain saw that I'd bought, the salesman told he would not guarantee it if I used anything other than premium gas in it. Michigan where I live is allowed 15% ethanol in the 87 octane pump gas.

7. argus tuft

argus tuft Member

There is a Product called FUEL DOCTOR, it is a great product for this problem, the problem with these ethanol type fuels is that they start to ferment if left standing for a while, it then starts to thicken and if left uncontrolled it will turn to jelly and block up the jets and galley ways.

Fuel Doctor will stop this from happening and if you get it into the carby while it will still run, albeit poorly it will dissolve the crud that has built up

It will also mix with water if there is any in the system and allow the engine to burn the lot, bit like chocking some Metholated spirits into your fuel tank to get rid of water contamination

Just add it to your fuel every time you buy fuel

Argus

8. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I have run Ethanol gas in everything (cars, pickups, lawnmowers, weed eaters, chain saws snow blowers, etc, etc. since it first came out with absolutely no problems ever. I like the fact you don't have to worry about fuel problems in the winter. You guys must have some pretty bad fuel wherever you live.

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I mix and run Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer with all my fuel. I keep 15 gallons of gas at home for my lawn and garden equipment. As soon as I fill the 3 "Jerry Cans" up, I immediately add the Sta-Bil. I have never had any issues and my equipment starts right up whether its 98 degrees in the dead of summer or -5 degrees in the dead of winter. I always buy the 89 octane at Casey's which I believe is 10% Ethanol. I've started adding the Sta-Bil to our vehicles now as well. I figure it can't hurt.

10. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Actually the ethanol tends to eat the fuel lines and hoses - most of the gaskets should be OK, but the alcohol is hell on the lines. The thickening you see is the melted lines entering the fuel.

Sta-Bil makes a marine version that works with the ethanol (I think they now sell one just for ethanol fuels as well)

11. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Read the whole article, particularly #5.

12. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

The local Sunoco stations here in the Ft. Lauderdale area sell the Marathon brand 90 octane ethanol free gas for about 35-40 cents more a gallon than 87 octane regular with 10% ethanol.

Eric

13. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Only use ethanol free gas in the Porsche and the outboard. Lawn equipment gets Sta-bil and seems fine. Bob
    [​IMG]

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Nice car Bob. On my dream car list.

15. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

likes-to-shoot,

That may be true for automobiles, but it is not the norm for small engine appliances (saw, mowers, trimmers, etc.). They still have fuel lines, etc. made from products that ethanol can and will degrade.

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The clogged orifice on Tecumseh engines is very common. I have gotten a few for very low cost and fixed with a crescent wrench and a toothpick.

An inline fuel filter insures that this will never happen. The culprit is sediment from inside the tank.

HM

17. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I burn premium fuel in all of my power equipment

18. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I haven't had any gasoline burning engines for quite a while when I did have small engines I would go to a small airport that had a FBO or fixed base operator and buy 100 LL Av gas, it has a much longer shelf life than regular gas it is a little higher priced but worth it

This past winter in boredom I started messing around with a new hobby, it involves making my our organic fuel from water sugar and yeast, and I will tell you ethanol is corrosive as hell, about the only thing you can have in contact with it is stainless steel, copper and for the gasket I use EPDM rubber

Found out the hard way it will eat epoxy real fast and makes the booze I mean fuel taste terrible (broke my heart to dump out 8 gallons of perfectly good fuel) LOL

19. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I have always used straight gas in my lawn mower/snow blower/weed whacker for at least 30 plus years and I have never had a problem with anything.

I never drain them during there off seasons and I don't use any additives in them.

Don't know if I've been lucky or not, but it works for me.

Hauxfan!

20. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Go with what halfmile says. He has helped me fix many small engines.

Search tags for this page

content