1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fixed Chokes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by FNG, Jun 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FNG

FNG Member

General consensus seems to be that for everything but 27yd shooting, more open chokes are the preference. Why then does Krieghoff (and maybe other makers as well) build their single barrels with fixed chokes Full and their O/Us Full & Improved Modified ?

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

For the first bird in doubles.

3. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

I'm not sure the group you got your "General consensus" from, is correct?

Ajax

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I think you will find most high end fixed choke trap guns come with fairly tight chokes. Beyond that most guys that have choke tubes in their trap guns end up using the tight chokes.

As to the question of why,... because tight chokes work well for the game of trap and I suppose if the owner truly felt a more open choke was necessary it is a lot easier to remove some metal from a fixed full tube and make it pattern like a modified choke than to try it from the opposite direction.

5. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

leo harrison ,said it best--" i dont care what choke you have in the gun--just as long as it is full"!

6. PODO

PODO TS Member

I have a 63 era Browing Broadway with fixed full and mod - I shoot every yard with the full - I know its a mental thing but when I shoot the mod except in doubles - I get sloppy and start to miss - TOM

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Leo is Leo, and he has a tuned barrel. Shoot what you shoot best. Mr Wilkinson, best of the business, typically plots a 16 yard choke at .024 to .025 and handicap chokes at .035. The .024 will ink spot 16 yard targets.

8. loop02

loop02 Member

I have a Ljutic Mono that Ken Eyster did for me years ago. 27 yard gun backbored, raised 7 inches, and it looks like you put them all in 25". The choke measures .025" It also puts as many or more turkey 4s in a 30' circle than a Briley turkey choke in a 391 will at 65 yards
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.